Going for MRI of Head...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lanie, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Lanie

Lanie New Member

My dr. has decided to check my head and make sure these headaches I have had since the accident are only headaches. My question is this, will the MRI pick up that I have Fibromyalgia or anything that normal people don't have because of the Fibro?

Thanks I am really quite curious.
    Lanie
  2. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Hoping for some feedback.
    Thanks
    Lanie
  3. carolweedwad

carolweedwad New Member

GO TO FIBRO MESSAGE BOARD AND SEARCH "LESIONS IN BRAIN" ALSO TRY THAT UNDER THE DEPRESSION BOARD.

4. babyblues68

babyblues68 New Member

I'm under the impression no test is going to tell you that you have FM. With me they ruled everything else out and pressed around on trigger points. I have seen somewhere on here people talking about lesions in the brain. I don't have much info on that or what they would cause.

Have you had an MRI before? I had one last week. If your claustrophobic when they start to put you in...keep your eyes closed. Don't freak out that I said this...just want you to be aware...I wasn't. It was pretty wierd for me since I get panic attacks. I'm proud to say I made it thru with out an attack, by keeping my eyes closed and just think about my kids.

Good luck with your MRI.

Tammy
  5. franners

franners New Member

I have heard that Fibro has no specific test except for the trigger points and symptoms...
    The MRI itself is a piece of cake. I have had the closed and the open, I do prefer the open..
    It was pretty cool. I have found out that all these years I have done all sorts of things without linings on my brain and that I also have Chiari type 1...
  6. Stillkicking

Stillkicking New Member

Don't be disapointed if it doesn't pickup anything. Soft tissue injuries don't show. Did you have a whiplash injury or injury to your face?
  7. Lanie

Lanie New Member

I do understand that no test will show the FM, I was just wondering if there will be any difference in comparison to a normal healthy person.

Babyblues-Yes, I have had 2 MRI's, one open one closed since my car accident. That is what triggered my claustrophobia. I am a wreck about this one as this one is in the smallest machine yet. Thanks for your concern.

LL-Thank you so much for all that info. It is very interesting. Hopefully, it won't find any other issues. I think I have enough to deal with. :)

Stillkicking- I had a whiplash injury 3 years ago. I have been diagnosed with Post traumatic Fibromyalgia and Reversal of the cervical spine. I am going for this Head MRI to make sure the headaches I have had since the accident aren't caused by anything else.

Thanks again for all your replies.
    Lanie
  8. Dara

Dara New Member

when you go in for your MRI. Place a washcloth over your eyes. That way even if you "peek" you won't get the claustrophobia. I also have severe claustraphobia and get panic/anxiety attacks. The washcloth trick worked great for me. I have no qualms at all about going in for an MRI now after I learned this little trick. Good Luck.

Dara
  9. Harmony

Harmony New Member

I had an MRI of the brain a couple of weeks ago and it didn't show anyting other than 2 lesions that the Dr. said was nothing to be concerned about. I had it done because the dr. that is doing my back surgery next week wanted to make sure I was ok since I told him how lightheaded and faint feeling I get so much.

I had IV sedation since I am so claustrophobic and that is the only way I could get it done. It worked great! I would recommend that if you are concerned about it or at least ask the dr. to give you a mild sedative my mouth. You do have to plan ahead of time for the IV sedation.

Harmony
  10. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

I have had 3 MRI's. One was of my brain, but it was to check for injuries following a car accident. I recently read something about an MRI showing areas that indicate a more intense response to pain when a pain stimulus was applied compared to people without FMS. As far as the test itself. I kept my eyes shut and recited the Lord's prayer and the 23rd psalm. It helped me get through. Good luck.
  11. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Dara-Thanks! That is what I did last time and it went well. The washcloth helped a lot. What I am most worried about it feeling the MRI around me. Not sure if I lost enough weight yet not to rub on the machine.

Harmony-Thanks for your reply. I could imagine that it would make me nuts to have the dr. say you have 2 brain lesions, oh, not a big deal though. Yeah, right! I have lesions on my brain! It may not be a big deal but it sounds dreadful! Good luck on your back surgery. I wish you all the best!

Bittersweet-I read that same article. It was very interesting. I think I may bring my favorite CD to listen too. I find music to be comforting and relaxing.

Thanks again for your replies. It is very kind of all of you.

Lanie