Going on raw willpower!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elastigirl, Jan 11, 2006.

1. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

I've been in a flare for quite a while now, ever since the "dental appointment gone bad." Yesterday, I had my first good day in a long time. I pushed and pushed and got a lot done. Of course, I'm paying for that now.

But I get SOOO angry when people accuse or imply that I have no willpower. I can only conclude that they don't know jack about willpower.

It is only through sheer willpower that I do not go catonic during some of my bouts with pain.

It is only through sheer willpower that I'm able to raise a child on my own despite what's going on with my health.

It is only through sheer willpower that I make nearly all of my doctor's appointments -- and dentist appointments -- and blood draws -- and get my son to his, too.

It is only through sheer willpower that I can prepare three meals a day for a child when I'm having a flare.

It is only through sheer willpower that I survive under the weight of the albatross of poverty.

My willpower and drive force me to keep going even when in extraordinary amounts of pain. That doesn't mean that -- physcially speaking -- I should be doing what I'm doing. It only means that through sheer will, I am able to get through the bad days, conquer the odds, battle the unexpected obstacles, keep going -- even if at a shuffle ...

... and still have hope for a better tomorrow.

I don't think I only speak for myself, do I :)?
  2. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I think you should print several copies of your post and send them to all of your friends and family members who verbally abuse you with their ignorance.

I don't know what is wrong with people. Perhaps if we wear a neck brace or put a cast on a limb, someone might respect us a little more and treat us differently.

abbylee
  3. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

Especially those of us with children. It is so hard to take care of someone else, when you can barely take care of yourself. We do what we do because we have to, not because we feel like we can. My kids don't wait for me to feel good to get fed, or taken to school, or whatever. I am a mom 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I also would like to mention that being a mom is a challenge for a healthy person. It is almost impossible being a mom with fibromyalgia. And I can't help but feel guilty that my children are missing out on things because of my illness. The guilt is of course self inflicted, I know we are all our own worst critics.

Anyways, we all do the best we can with what we have.

Leanne
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

You have said it for all of us! That's what keeps us going and most don't understand.
    The only thing we have is hope and thank goodness for that.

Kathy.
  5. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I wonder how many of the normals would have the will power to endure what we go though on a daily basis, and how many would adapt to the new live style that is forced upon us? Not to mention all the strange looks and questiions that are asked on a daily basis. Maybe this would be a challenge for some of them to try for a month. Make a list of the things that they can and cannot due and give it to them and see if they make it through 1 month. What do you all think they would say and how would they react? I know it wouldn't be the same but it would enliten them a little more about what we live with.

Jake