Going out on a limb

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pika, Apr 4, 2007.

1. pika

pika New Member

All my life, I've been afraid to even try explaining this to someone. Age 10 or so, I asked my mom about it and she just said, "it's because you're tired, go take a nap."

occasionally, i have these...experiences... where i can see everything happening around me, but i "feel" like i'm not in my body (ie., i'm not feeling anything). sometimes, it's like i'm in a dream? i can hear, but nothing distinctly.

the most usual circumstances these *things* hit me are: when standing (still) for a while, like church prayers. sometimes just sitting, in a class, church, meetings. i can't recall that ever happening when i'm just sitting-relaxing. AND...most often, in my car (only if i'm driving) when stopped at a stoplight.

it's not the same physical sensation as before fainting. and i don't....faint. i've learned to make them pass quicker by things like digging my nails into my palms or when it's really intense, i either slap my cheek a couple of times or bang on my thigh.

it's weird, because it only lasts about 15 - 45 seconds, i'm sure. but when it starts, it seems like it will just go on forever. THEN, i panic and try to get back to *the moment* (ie., normal feeling, thinking, awareness).

does anyone know what this is, or what would cause that? doubtless it's not life-threatening, as i've had these...at least once or twice a year (sometimes more often) for like, 45 years now.

i feel really weird even asking. (embarassed-weird, LOL) (hey, with FM i should be used to people thinking i'm nuts, huh? LOLOL)
  2. coolma

coolma New Member

If you are experiencing something then it is real for you. Any negative talk about yourself only draws more negativity. If you have ruled out any physical cause, sounds like your are disassociating yourself mentally. Some might even call it a gift!!!!!!

I had a classmate in high school who got so good at it that she would pass out in class. No-one seemed able to help her. She was put in the hospital and they had to release her because they found no physical cause. She had to help herself by being more aware of being in the moment. Body and spirit dwell together but that doesn't necessarily mean they're permanently attached!!!

The only time it could prove dangerous I guess is if you're operating equipment or a car!!!! Good luck. Hope you get some answers.
  3. kfran

kfran New Member

I have had that kind of disconnected feeling before. Not sure it is exactly the same thing. Then there are times that I forget who I am talking to on the phone or where exactly I was going while driving. I don't think you are weird. We have a lot of unique things going on with us. Take care! :)
    Kim
  4. pika

pika New Member

thanks! i'd say *disassociated* describes it well.

no, mistygrace...it's not quite the same as dizzy and/or weak legs. (i know both those feelings all too well! LOL) but i'm wondering if it isn't relative to some sort of equalibrium imbalance?

never thought of it as a gift! ha ha... if i could control WHEN it happens, that could be useful, tho!
    hmmmm..... LOL
  5. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Pika sweet, like Coolma says please don't put yourself down. You're very special you know. You are one of us sicko's, lol.

Do you think it could be an extremely "weak" seizure of the epileptic type? I have all kinds of weird disassociations, but none that threaten driving or anything like that (so far, knock on wood).

I have had an MRI due to migraine headaches and it shows that I have white matter disease. I have learned that this is common for people with either CFS or FM. I forget which. I have holes developing in my white matter. MS involves another distinct abnormality with the protective sheath of a part of the white matter.

It does sound like some type of seizure that you are having. It does not mean that you have epilepsy though, I don't think.

I also think it is a good idea that we all get an MRI of the brain. (Gee I am full of "I thinks" lol)

Andy
  6. pika

pika New Member

i go back to the rheumy next tuesday for all my test results so far. she does want to do an MRI later.

ack! i hate when i read someone's post, and want to address them by name, once this box comes up, i can NOT remember names or even what i wanted to comment!!

actually, i really AM proud to be a part of THIS group. ("this" including everyone who tries to deal with this FM/CFS, lack of understanding, all of it!) we are sort of pioneers in the next wave of discovery for medical science. and one thing we have going FOR us, is having been forced to do so much research and study on our own, then as a group. we're less likely to be guinea pigs!

misty...i just want to give you a hug right now. (gentle hug) you're a sweetie and ALL of you have made me feel ...not so weird! (hugsnluvyas to all!)
  7. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I read this board often even though I don't suffer from FM. You all have my sympathy and respect for trying to live as normal of life as possible.

What fmandy describes is exactly how my sister described her early epilepsy seizures, long before they were diagnosed.

But the experience also sounds like my panic attacks. I can be in the mall and it's like I'm watching everything I'm seeing, only I'm not really seeing it.

It is real and it is frightening. Don't disregard it. If you don't like the answers you are getting, go to a neurologist and be checked out.

Good wishes to all.

budmickl
    [This Message was Edited on 04/04/2007]
  8. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Thank you Budmickl. That was really kind of you. I do hope that you find out the cause of your abnormal perceptions.

Andy
  9. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

I find that I can hit my browser back button, from time to time, while I am replying to a post and as long as I come directly back to my reply, nothing is lost. I am using internet explorer 7.0. If you lose a long post though, you will be mad at me forever, lol.

Andy