going overseas how to cope with CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mandyau, Sep 18, 2005.

1. mandyau

mandyau New Member

Hi i have to go overseas for family for prob 3 weeks and was just wandering how other people cope with their CFS while their travelling, i'll be able to rest while thi=eir but its a long flight and i've heard flying can make CFS worse and i dnt want to be bad while im there or flying. Any precautions i should take? or anyone have any advice, tips?
    Thanks Mandy
  2. Ridge-Runner

Ridge-Runner New Member

Wife wants me to go with her next year. Don't know know if I dare, same reasons long flight etc. I really don't want to travel all that way, be stuck in bed, just to travel all the way back.
    Thanks,
    Keith
  3. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

Travel can be done!

In Feb. of this year I took a two week trip to Romania (Eastern Europe). Going over my flights were Denver -Chicago....Chicago-Frankfurt.....Frankfurt-Bucharest. At each stop I had a 1 to 2 hour layover. Problem: left Denver one hour late arriving after the flight was supposed to leave. Fortunately since it was an overseas flight they held the plane and we RAN through the airport and made our connection.

Coming home it was Bucharest-Frankfurt FIVE hours then Frankfurt-Denver non-stop.

My recommendations are this, make your flights about two hours apart. You need the time to connect flights but not much more than that. Sitting in the airport is EXCRUTIATING. The least amount of time you have to spend there the better.

Beyond flight plans:
    1. Drink tons of water. Carry your own snacks. Crackers and cheese are great. So are the little tubes of Skippy peanut butter. They are just the right amount for a serving and you throw away the wrapper. Come in a box.

2. Move your feet often. Pull them up toward your chest and circle them around. Get up and walk on the plane.

3. Ask ahead for the handicapped mobility carts at the airport if you think you might possibly need them. Don't be ashamed to use this transportation. It can be a really long journey through the airports.

4. Have a good neck pillow so you can rest comfortably. I took one and threw it away at our first stop because of the weight, it was a rice filled one.

5. Pack lightly and take a rolling carry on that you can put everything you take with you on. I was exhausted carrying my bag.

6. Take all your meds in their original prescription bottles. I also was told to take a letter from my doc saying what I was currently taking. I put them all in a ziploc bag with the letter. I was never questioned but have been told many people are.

I can't think of anything else right now...but if I do I'll come back and post it. I made some mistakes and learned but really had a fantastic time and it was not as bad as I thought it might be. Sleep when you can and just enjoy another culture.

Where do you get to go??

Blessings,
    Maia

4. mandyau

mandyau New Member

Are you allowed to carry your own snaks on the plane? Cause i get low blood sugar levels i find it easier too eat small snaks alot so that should help.

I'm getting aletter from my doc tomorrow (must remember!).

Im going to england but unfortunately not for good circumstances as a family members sick, so also a stressful time for me.
  5. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

I am sorry that the circumstances of your trip aren't better, but you can do this! Yes you can take all the snacks you want. I took a big bottle of water also.

Where will you fly out of? Hopefully, it won't be too long of a flight! Just remember to move as much as you can, and of course sleeping makes the trip go faster.

I would also layer your clothing. I went in February and was so afraid of being cold on the plane, which is what usually happens. We burned up! It was sooooo hot. Air conditioning may be cold though, so be prepared. It can make you miserable.

Maia

Keith, where are you headed with your wife??
  6. mandyau

mandyau New Member

Im flying from Australia so unfortunately its a very long flight with a long stop when we change planes.
    Good tip about layering the clothing i was thinking id be cold too and didnt think about getting hot, dont want to be sweating the whole time.
    Thanks Mandy
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

sorry this trip is for sad reasons.

Besides the other advice I would buy the socks for DVT and wear loose shoes or adjustable sandles with socks in case your feet swell, mine always do.

I hope everything goes well for you.

love
    Rosie
  8. Ridge-Runner

Ridge-Runner New Member

My wife is going back home to Okinawa,Japan. I haven't been back since 1988, was stationed there twice,total of seven years. She has been back to mainland Japan a couple times since,most of her family is up there now.
    She wants to go back to her home island for a visit,our son is stationed there now,has a apartment off base so we would have a place to stay.

Will have to see how I feel next year. I think now that I have a dx,I'll be able to slow down and pace myself. Have been pushing myself spring and summer because I felt better after crashing fall and winter. Never knowing why it was happening.

Keith
  9. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

The assistance in the airport is wonderful, but you can request it when you make your reservations and not have to worry about finding someone when you get there or waiting on them.

If they know ahead of time it won't put them in a bind and you won't have to wait on someone, which may put you in a bind,

Maia
  10. mandyau

mandyau New Member

Thanks for all the great tips guys!
  11. mandyau

mandyau New Member

I woke up this morning and guess what i have tonsilitis (thats a self diagnosis but i know it is dont go to docs till later)
    2 days before my flight! I just hope i dont have an ear infection too cause i usually get the 2 together. I knew id get sick too, havent had a chance too rest and been soo tired rushing around trying to organise everything!
    I hope i dont have too spend all my time in bed while im there.
  12. greatgran

greatgran Member

Good luck to you hope all goes well...I can't offer any advice as I can't travel more than 30 minutes from home in my car..

So I really admire those that are able to travel and a bit envious...

Let us know how it goes...
    greatgran