Going through surgery

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fowlerfab522, Apr 4, 2006.

1. fowlerfab522

fowlerfab522 New Member

I am considering donating a kidney to a friend. I have mild to moderate FM if I had to rate it. I am concerned that the surgery and recovery will make my FM worse for that time period or even long term. What are your thought?
  2. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi Fowlerfab522!

Your concern for your friend's health is highly commendable and your question about how this will impact your own well-being is a very good one.

What does your doctor say about the proposed kidney donation? Do you have any other medical conditions that might require you to have a "back-up" kidney in the future?

One thing to consider is whether you can reach a rapport with the prospective surgeon regarding your suitability as a donor and your post-surgical aftercare.

Best wishes both to you and to your friend!

Janice
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

But I wonder the same as Wake=can we pass this on? How would you recover? Do you have children?

Just some thoughts.

I think the docs will have to make certain you are in tip top shape. Yet when I think of it, look at the very poor, malnourished people who sell their kidney then recover. So maybe you would do OK. It does seem a little risky. Loving though.

Love Anne C