Going through surgery

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fowlerfab522, Apr 4, 2006.

1. fowlerfab522

fowlerfab522 New Member

I am considering donating a kidney to a friend. I have mild to moderate FM if I had to rate it. I am concerned that the surgery and recovery will make my FM worse for that time period or even long term. What are your thought?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I do not believe we should be organ donors. First, no one knows what causes our illnesses. We likely are genetically predisposed to them but a very high percent of us (60-70 percent in studies) carry stealth chronic infections, some of which can only be detected by PCR DNA. When someone receives an organ, he or she is given drugs to down regulate the immune system. This may make donees vulnerable to these infections.

Second, any trauma, including surgery, can make our illnesses worse. I think we should avoid as many stressors as possible.

I do think it a very noble thing that you want to help but if there is any other way for your friend to get a kidney, I believe another route would be better for all concerned. In the end, only you, your friend, and the docs can make the decision.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  3. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

I think it is a wonderful thing you are doing. I do not believe that you will "pass" anything on with just having FMS, if you were diagnosed with CFIDS I may question that. I have FMS and CFIDS and do not donate blood. No one is really sure what causes FMS or CFIDS an there may be a very slight chance you may pass "something" on but I doubt it. Again I am not a Dr. and don't claim to be and these are my personal feelings based on doing 10 years research into FMS and CFIDS. I think the good you are doing by far out weighs any issues. You may have a flare of Fibro but I don't think it will last long; what I mean long could vary from person to person. I had carpal tunnel surgery two months ago and just in the past week or so my muscles in my hands are no longer in pain. So it is hard to say. And again you are doing a wonderful thing. God Bless, good luck to you and your friend - Bobby
  4. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Not unless you are extremely healthy. I think it is wonderful that you want to help your friend, but it is a serious operation. That would leave you only one kidney, and what if you got sick? I have worked in a dialisis center before, and believe me it is not a pleasant procedure. I would leave the organ donation up to your friend's family members or the organ donor programs. I wish you and your friend good luck and good health.
    Take Care!
    Kellyann
  5. findmind

findmind New Member

Sorry, I agree that we should not donate anything to anyone!!! Until we know the agents involved in our illnesses, I think we could unintentionally be endangering someone else.

How generous you are to consider this, not many people would want to have major surgery and recovery time; not to mention the added concern about whether you might develop kidney disease and need both of yours then!

Bless you, your "thoughts" are almost as strong at your actions, you know.

findmind