Going to a Naturalpathic Dr. tomorrow, what can I expect UPDATE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by razorqueen, Sep 15, 2006.

1. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I just got an appointment, as there was a cancelation. I've never been to one of these types of Drs. I know she will take down my history and do a urine test, but thats all I know.

What have your experiences been?

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 09/15/2006</i>]

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 09/16/2006</i>]
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

But I think that they vary as much as family doctors do, depending on their training and experience. My ND tests for food allergies as a basic part of his testing.

ND's look at you as a whole person, not as different parts. My ND (not sure about others) doesn't even look at the names of various illnesses. He knows that I have CFS/FM/DDD/OA etc. but looks for remedies and treatments to treat the symptoms, not the illnesses.

My ND is the first medical practitioner who has actually given me hope that I will one day feel better.

3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I agree that they very much look at the whole person. They are as interested in your symptoms but have a different approach to treatment. Mine is very interested in diet and nutrition and I think many are.

Their treatments are more natural, herbs, supplements and some use homeopathy or Chinese Medicine. I like the fact that my appointments are much more relaxed; she spends more time with me and I get a lot of questions answered.

I hope your appt. goes well.

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 09/15/2006</i>]
  4. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

I started going to a naturopath a month or two a go. I found that she LISTENS and is sympathetic, doesn't rush me or only let me mention 2 issues per visit like the MD has to (has no choice, really - overburdened system).

I told her I don't have insurance and she seems to respect that I am not made of money!! (Naturopathy is covered by some private insurance plans here in Ontario).

She had a Vega test done which identified food sensitivities and also put me on a detox program (28 days, urk!). Suggested a couple of homoepathic remedies for my situation and a couple of "alternative" supplements too.

She said something about my knees and the need to strengthen my quads. I double checked with the MD who said she was spot on.

I like to regard allopathic ("regular doctors") and alternative medicine as complementary to one another. But for taking in the whole picture, only the alternative practitioners seem to do that. With regular docs you are just "the knees" or "the back" or "the tonsils" or "the uterus"...

Just my 2 cents, don't spend it all at once! :)

Good luck with your visit
  5. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I have had some really good experiences with Naturopaths.

I find that listen and look at the body as a whole.

Doctors look at symptoms and they specialize in different areas of the body.

I am sure that naturopaths are just like doctors, there are some good ones and bad ones. I have been lucky enough to find some really good ones.

Keep an open mind. Naturopaths look at things very differently than doctors. They believe with the proper care and suppliments the body can heal itself.

Good luck tomorrow.
    hugs Marion (Redwillow)

6. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

just got back from my appointment. She was really nice. She wants me to consider having and Adrenal Stress Index test done (saliva), as she feels my adrenals are out of wack and possibly have always been, since I've struggled with fatigue etc ever since I was a child.

She did a urine test, and I seem to have a low-grade UTI going on. She strongly suggested a probiotic, the brand she prefers is called HMF Powder. High dose right now, 1/4tsp 3x/day becuase of the infection and Ester-C 1000-2000 mgs 3x/day, for laxative, adrenals, and Ammune system.

I have to fill out a 7 day diet paper. (oh joy) and fax it too her. Increase water, lower sugar/carbs. She said I was on the right track with what I was already taking.

She also told me to investigate a product called
    <b>Neprinol</b> on the internet, as she has been doing, and thinks it is looking very good. It is a high potency enzyme. She did NOT push this on me at all. In fact, she doesn't even carry it, as she said since it is from the US, and we are in Canada it doesn't work to purchase it to sell, as it gets to exspensive for the consumer.

So, thats how it went!

7. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

8. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Did you research Neprinol and what did you think?

Why did the naturopath mention this to you initially?

How did you determine which naturopath? Just curious, I have tried folks in the "natural" approach field.

It will be interesting to follow your progress.... hope it helps...

Thanks, June
  9. pam_d

pam_d New Member

....you know, like many supps, it probably has some good, sound science behind it, but boy, the cost would put me off! Were it a med covered my insurance, I could maybe consider it. If money isn't an object, though (and believe me, I know we cannot put a price on good health) I might consider it if I felt I needed what it seems to help with!

10. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

my naturopath told me to reasearch it. She said what she has been reading, it looks pretty promising. I just about freaked when I saw on line how much money it is. But apparantly it is supposed to be very good for pain. Obviously I'll have to alot more reasearch before I'd spend that kind of coin.

Where I live, which is a very small city, this was my only choice of a Naturopathic Dr. She wasn't pushy at all. I liked her. She even gave the website to the lab that she sends her tests too. Diagnostechs dot com. This way I can even research the company.

I am going to do the saliva test, that takes samples at 4 different times during the day to get a more true picture of what our hormones do through out the day. She said when the drs take blood tests to check our hormones it only gives them a picture of that percice moment, and they fluctuate through out the day.

11. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I think this could apply to other illnesses.

fibrin depletion decreases multiple sclerosis symptoms
    next article 20.04.2004

Tissue damage due to Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is reduced and lifespan lengthened in mouse models of the disease when a naturally occurring fibrous protein called fibrin is depleted from the body, according to researchers at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) School of Medicine.

The study, reported online the week of April 19, 2004 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, identifies fibrin as a potential target for therapeutic intervention in the disease, which affects an estimated one million people worldwide.

However, the research team cautions that fibrin plays an important role in blood clotting and systemic fibrin depletion could have adverse effects in a chronic disease such as MS. Therefore, additional research is needed to specifically target fibrin in the nervous system, without affecting its ability as a blood clotting protein.

"Multiple sclerosis is a nervous system disease with vascular damage, resulting from the leakage of blood proteins, including fibrin, into the brain," said the study’s first author, Katerina Akassoglous, Ph.D., a UCSD School of Medicine assistant professor of pharmacology. "Our study shows that fibrin facilitates the initiation of the inflammatory response in the nervous system and contributes to nerve tissue damage in an animal model of the disease."

MS is an autoimmune disease that affects the central nervous system (CNS), causing a variety of symptoms including loss of balance and muscle coordination, changes in cognitive function, slurred speech, bladder and bowel dysfunction, pain, and diminished vision. While the exact cause of MS is unknown, a hallmark of the disease is the loss of a material called myelin that coats nerve fibers, and the inability of the body’s natural processes to repair the damage.

Although fibrin is best known for its important role in blood clotting, recent studies have shown that fibrin accumulates in the damaged nerves of MS patients, followed by a break down of myelin. However, the cellular mechanisms of fibrin action in the central nervous system have not been known, nor have scientists determined if fibrin depletion could alleviate or lessen the symptoms of MS.

In work performed at The Rockefeller University, New York and the UCSD School of Medicine, in collaboration with colleagues at the University of Vienna, Austria and Hellenic Pasteur Institute, Greece, researchers studied normal mice and transgenic mice with an MS-like condition. The normal mice had normal spinal cords and with no fibrin deposits in the central nervous system. In contrast, the transgenic mice showed fibrin accumulation, inflammation and a degradation of the myelin in their spinal cord. When transgenic mice were bred without fibrin, they developed a later onset of the MS-like paralysis as compared to their transgenic brothers that had fibrin. In addition, the fibrin-depleted mice lived for one additional week longer than the normal, disease-impacted mice. This difference is significant in animal models such as mice that have very short lifespans.

Fibrin’s role in excessive inflammation was shown in a follow-up experiment where transgenic mice were shown to experience high expression of pro-inflammatory molecules, followed by myelin loss, as compared to the fibrin-negative transgenic mice with no signs of inflammation or myelin destruction.

In addition to the genetic deletion of fibrin, the researchers tested drug-induced fibrin depletion, which was accomplished by administering ancrod, a snake venom protein, to the transgenic mice. Consistent with the genetics-based experiments, the pharmacological depletion also delayed the onset of inflammatory myelin destruction and down-regulated the immune response. Previous studies by other investigators who used ancrod in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE), another animal model of MS, also showed amelioration of neurologic symptoms.

In the current study, the investigators also used cell culture studies to determine that fibrin activates macrophages, the major cell type that contributes to inflammatory myelin destruction.

Akassoglou said that "further research to identify the cellular and molecular mechanisms that fibrin utilizes in the nervous system will provide pharmacologic targets that will specifically block the actions of fibrin in nervous system disease."

The study was funded by grants from the National Institutes of Health, the Wadsworth Foundation Award, and the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

Sidney Strickland, Ph.D., Laboratory of Neurobiology and Genetics, The Rockefeller University, New York, in whose lab Akassoglou first began her studies, was the senior author of the paper. Additional authors were Ryan Adams, Ph.D., UCSD Department of Pharmacology; Jan Bauer, Ph.D. and Hans Lassmann, M.D., Laboratory of Experimental Neuropathology, University of Vienna, Austria; Lesley Probert, Ph.D., and Vivi Tseveleki, B.Sc., Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, Hellenic Pasteur Institute, Athens, Greece; and Peter Mercado, B.Sc., The Rockefeller University

Sue Pondrom | Source: EurekAlert!
    Further information: www.ucsd.edu/

next article
  12. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

13. atlantaga

atlantaga New Member

The product Neprinol used to be a good product, but the manufacturer changed the ingredients and it is no longer effective for me. The product is expensive and a huge waste of money for me at this point, as the new formulated product is substantially different than the &quot;original&quot; product. You can search the internet and discover that others are saying the same thing about the product. Sad, too. It used to work so well. I will no longer invest in the product.