Going to be a loooong drive

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dragon06, Mar 22, 2006.

1. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Hey all,

On April 7 I am going to be heading out on a drive to Atlanta, GA. We are going down to bring my BIL most of his belongings and his dog (we have a van) as he has had to go down immediately for a job.

I am not looking forward to the drive but I really want to be able to help my BIL out. Also, I have never been to GA before and it's always cool to see new places.

Anyways, the drive is about 14-16 hours long. We figure we will drive straight through one way and then stop at a hotel one night on the way back. We will probably stay in GA for 2 days.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to make the drive easier on myself...other than "take more meds". I have to be able to drive so taking narcotics on the driving days is out of the question.
  2. Josie39

Josie39 New Member

Well, don't know WHICH meds will work for you as you travel BUT, I SURE know this ...
    You will LOVE Georgia! We have good weather and you will receive a *Welcome Mat* rolled out for you at any one of the motels!
    I Don't travel directly to Atlanta (unless I see a doctor there and there are MANY) But I live in North Georgia and
    I welcome you!

Hugs, Josie:eek:)
  3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

thanks Josie...I am looking forward to seeing GA and I am hoping this won't be my last visit. We plan to return on a semi regular basis to visit my BIL as him and my hubby are very close.
  4. suzetal

suzetal New Member

This is what we did........Left at 3 am to miss the early morning trafic.............Very few cars and trucks on the road a lot less stress...........Packed a few sandwiches and snacks for the drive down and back............Seems like eating on a long trip keeps me going..........I ate something every 2 to 3 hrs. and every 4 hrs stopped to stretch my legs and potty break LOL...

I drove the first 9 hrs DH drove the rest ...He slept in the early morning.....

Coming back we stopped after 8 hrs and got a hotel room....did some shopping in Verginia..Went out for a nice dinner got to bed early and hit the road again at about 4 am.

Have fun GA is very nice and the people are very friendly..My daughter and son both live down there now.
    Have not been able to get back down to GA in last couple years FM and CFS have gotten worst....I no longer drive nor go out except for doctors appointments.

Have Fun

Sue
  5. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

The 10 hr drive does me in. By the time we get there, Im worn out. Last yr, we stopped more often and that seemed to help some. Im going to take my massage back thing and plug it in to the cig. lighter, if it has one. We rent a suv.

I also am the navigator and that makes me sooo tired, especially since we have taken the same route for 10 ys.

As soon as we unload, Sorry, when they unload, I put on the swimsuit and hit the pool. just floating in the water helps. I usually recover some by the next day.

Good luck

Suzette
  6. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Breaks to stretch your legs (and other body parts!)

Reclining seats

Those heat strips you can buy, oh whats the name "Thermogesic"

I find scooting my seat up closer to the wheel, and making the back of the seat more upright allows me to hold the wheel at the bottom. Less strain on my shoulders and neck.