Going to England...Need Advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bashful37, Aug 13, 2003.

1. bashful37

bashful37 New Member

I'm so excited. I'm going to England at the end of September. I don't know what to do to get my body ready for this trip. Has anyone traveled out of the country adn what did you do to prepare. I'm going w/ one of my roommates and she is well aware of my condition. I am worried about the non-stop flight but figure I'll take a muscle relaxer and if necessary, a Klonopin.

Anyway, let me know if you have any advice. I'm going to peel myself off the ceiling now.

Thanks!

Anne
  2. Takesha

Takesha New Member

I was over there in the late 70's and loved it. Normally I'd say pack some warm clothes, but I heard that it was 100 degrees at Heathrow airport the other day.
    I didn't have this fibro then either,so I don't know what to tell you about that. Maybe some one else who has traveled recently can help you on than one, and some of the people who are from the UK that post on this board can let you know what to expect.
    I think your going to have a great time. Just pace yourself!
    Please let us know how it went when you get back.
    Have fun, and I'll pray for your safe return.
    Takesha
  3. averilpam

averilpam New Member

I have regularly travelled to the USA. Only once with fm but previously with back problems. The worst for me was the discomfort and the noise on the transatlantic flight.

Use earplugs! (wax ones are the best)

It was on this last trip, knowing I had fm and legs that hurt if kept bent I was most anxious.
    I phoned the airline a few weeks before I travelled, and asked if I could pre-book a seat because of my leg problems (usually you have to wait till check in to be allocated)

The nice man gave me a seat in an exit row (not near the windows where you have to be able to help with the emergency door but in the middle section) This meant I had no seats in front of me, just a wall with the video screen about three feet in front of me. I was able to stretch my legs out, and get up as often as I needed to move my legs around, and didn't disturb anyone, plus no one had to disturb me to get past. Of course if you are travelling business class this won't matter as there is more room!

This made a huge difference and I arrived tired but not totally exhausted. Drink loads of water on the flight (and NO alcohol) and eat sparingly. Coming this way, it's probably an overnight flight, so try and sleep if you can, if you have any sleep meds use them. It'll help your body adjust to the time zone if you arrive in the morning having slept some.

I hope you have a great time, check the weather forecasts on the internet just before you pack, so you can bring appropriate clothing. September can be still really warm but it's far from guaranteed!

love Pam xx
  4. atrinigyal29

atrinigyal29 New Member

I went to Europe for two months in April, and I absolutely enjoyed myself. For the plane ride I also requested an aisle seat because my knees hurt if I can't stretch them out.

In Europe, I did a lot of sightseeing, but to help with energy, I was living off of espresso and other strong coffees. That's not the best thing to do, but it did help with the energy. I would also pace myself. So if I went sightseeing one day, the next day I would rest and do nothing.

There were many times where I was not feeling well, and all I could do was stay in bed and rest, but just being in a different environment (not associated with my illness like my home) made a difference. If I was sick, at least I was sick in Europe!! So the best thing to do is pace yourself and just understand that you may not be able to do everything that you would like to do on your trip. Just enjoy the places that you do get to go to, and keep a positive attitude. I hope you have the best time!! Take care and let us know about your trip.
    Alicia