going to integrative medical doctor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ANGELEO728, May 19, 2009.

1. ANGELEO728

ANGELEO728 New Member

next week. I am excited about this. Hope he can help address the FM pain and see if my hormones are out of whack too. His site has some supplements and herbs listed that are beneficial for chronic pain. Has anyone heard of Unizyme, Zeel, and Nutrijoint? Just curious if anyone has tried them and what the outcome was.

2. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

Good luck with your new Doc.. please keep us posted .. Hopefully he will be able to help you...

I just saw my Doc yesterday .. very frusrating , I think I am hunting for a new one.. she just is not much help and does not learn much new about Fibro... I know more that she does so . time to find someone willing to learn , listen ( the biggy ) besides there office does not deal with the whole issue . they know nothing about the fatigue , and this is an area I really need help with.. and someone willing to Dig a little deeper and not dismiss eveything as Fibro ( like oh thats just your Fibro )

Anyway .best of luck ... can hardly wait to hear back and see how things go for you .. Good news I pray

3. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Sounds great. Mine ran stool tests for food intolerances, candida, parasites, etc and blood work for nutritional deficiencies, etc. It's great to have something you can actually work on ...

hope it goes well ... marcia
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am writing this as I think it is important we be informed consumers and need to see all sides of a treatment.

I am not arguing as after seeing all of the facts you have the freedom of choice. If you are comfortable with the following facts then go for it.

1.Allied Kinesiology has not been proven by scientific experiments and in fact just the opposite. You have a better chance by choosing what helps with a flip of a coin.

2. Supplements are not regulated by the FDA which means that there is no oversight for making sure that what you are getting the same the bottle says you are getting. Sometimes these supplements contain mixers that can have negative effects.

3. Natural products can also have side effects. Some dangerous.

4. People have been harmed by taking the advice of an "integrative doc" as conditions may be overlooked that need prompt help. Sometimes the treatment itself can cause harm.

5. Many of these "doctors" are making money from selling their supplements. People may be convinced that these work because of the placebo effect as well as the fact that some disorders are cyclic or self limiting and you would have seen improvement even if you are off the supplements. Coincidence may also come into play.

6. A lot of the tests integrative/naturopathic docs perform are not recognized as reliable tests and you may get unneeded and expensive procedures.

7. All supplements as well as prescriptions may come with side effects. With supplements et. al, it is harder to discern if you are getting side effects and from what.

If you are comfortable with these facts, all of which have scientific backup which I will be glad to supply, then it is your choice.

Keep in mind that there is no cure for FM, only symptoms relief. There are some supplements that may help but if they do they are not considered "alternative treatments"

Beware of doctor's who advertise on the internet. They can make outrageous claims that have no scientific validity. They promise a "quick cure" which is unrealistic. If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

If we have not been helped by the medical community it does not reason that going to the opposite extreme you will find a cure. If you get the right doctor, your FM symptoms may be able to be controlled but not cured. Sometimes symptoms can't be controlled as much as we like.

Do you want to go by doctors who use the scientific method for treatments or by what is "claimed" to help and has very little evidence or evidence that says just the opposite. THe choice is up to you.

Take care.
  5. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

When I first got sick, I started with standard doctors and I got no better. I searched and found an alternative doctor, a DO, which was good because he could use both eastern and western medicine. He mostly believes in the natural approach. I stayed with him for two years. I had supplements, neural therapy, IV therapy, homeopathic, accupuncture and anything else he could think of. I improved only slightly.

While seeing this doctor, I had a lymphatic masseuse work on me. Actually, she helped get my lymphs in check. She was a natural therapist. I worked with her for about one year.
    I told her about Dr. Lerner and was surprised to hear her advise. She told me I should follow the research. I did not expect her to say that because of her beliefs. She was a wise woman and she told me that I had given the natural approach a good try and that I now needed to move onto something else. I have seen improvement with Dr. Lerner.

So, I guess what I am saying is try this doctor and see how you do. If you improve, wonderful and hopefully you do. You won't know until you try. I think you definitely should should go for it. Maybe, he/she has something that will work for you.

I wish you the best and hope you can come back and share some good news....
  6. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Don't be so quick to think less of an integrative doctor ... Mine started out as a traditional doctor but saw that many of her patients were healing via natural means so she's utilizing this too.

From what I understand, this is happening more and more. Especially since the internet is making patients better informed. Right away, Dr. Oz and Dr. Sinatra come to mind.

And ALL of my traditional doctors who got to know her as a traditional doctor just keep saying how intelligent she is. Those nurses, etc who've worked with her keep saying what a great doctor she is. How caring, etc ... I can't get my blood drawn without hearing what a wonderful doctor she is as soon as they read who wrote the order ...

Think about it, if more and more traditional doctors are switching to integrative there must be a good reason. ... I feel lucky to get the advantage of traditional medicine plus holistic.

Just my 2 cents ... Marcia

7. ANGELEO728

ANGELEO728 New Member

I know that I am not going to find a "cure" for my FM. I am however looking for better ways to alleviate my symptoms other than putting chemicals in my body that have adverse side effects. Some of the drugs I have been on have the same side effects as each other, and that compounds the side effects thus making each side effect worse.

Drugs SCARE me!!! My mom had the dd and bless her soul, she died at 52 from a massive heart attack. Other than FM and smoking she was healthy. This dd and the drugs her pain doctor put her on aged her mentally and physically. She couldn't remember what day it was most of the time and looked more like 70 than 52 when she passed.

I have a 3 year old son and I don't want him to remember me the way I remember my mom over the last 5 years of her life. She was always a strong willed and very independent woman before this dd. It beat her down. She tried to quit her meds several times just to end up back on them and feeling worse than before.

I'm sorry if I seem very upset right now, but I think that some doctors are in with the pharmeceutical companies and we all know that the government is in with the pharmeceutical companies. They don't have our best interest at heart. The FDA is part of the government and that is likely the reason that supplements and herbs are not FDA approved.

Just my two cents here. I hope I don't offend anyone. I know some people have great luck with chemical pharms and I am glad for you. But honestly, I feel no better with them than without them. I do eat extra strenth Tylenol like candy and yes I am aware it's bad for my liver. But I dont have dementia from it and can remember where I put things. I am also taking levothyroxine for the last month and plan on asking my dr. about Armour since it's not a synthetic. I'm a real believer that chemicals do more harm than good for us.