going to memory clinic today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pammy52, Aug 5, 2003.

1. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

Has anyone had memory testing done?
    My neuro set me up with appt. at a memory clinic.
    I was told to plan on 2 to 4 hrs..
    Had started to really struggle with short term memory and
    concentration. Had several incidences of no recall of how to perform familiar tasks. Working a gas pump. Using my
    debit card, resetting the TV from playstation to TV.Could
    not comprehend written instructions for me that are by the
    tv. (previously could do it following these)
    Spent 4 months being totally mentally exhausted at work because everything was such a struggle to accomplish. Use to that physically but can pretty much be on autopilot with
    tasks.
    I am feeling pretty confident at this point that because I was in a bad flare over the winter and was put on some new meds. Elavil&oxycontin, my brain went south for a while.
    Though process is much clearer after stopping both meds.
    Elavil esp. mind fogging for me.
    Curious as to anyone elses experience with this type of testing.
    Thanks...Pammy
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

How to get there.

Seriously, one time I forgot how to get to my doc's office and nearly had a panic attack at an intersection.

My last real beaut was being on the highway when it started to pour and I couldn't remember how to turn on my wipers.

Good luck on your test.

Love, Mikie
  3. shazz

shazz New Member

It didn't take 4 hours though, almost two.
    There were pairs of words I was asked to repeat memorize, and remember which word went with which, stories I was read and then asked details about, shown faces, then I was asked to recall if I had seen before, pictures of scenes I was then asked to remember what was going on, and I think that's it, and then they go back and ask you about the same things again.
    It was called the Weshler Memory Scale Test.
    Basically I came out with a diagnosis of CRS (can't remember sh*t) I actually started bawling because I felt so stupid. My Dr. said this was a good thing though, because it actually will help my SS case.
    I also did the MMPI test which said I AM ill, my body is doing strange things and I am NOT making up or imagining the symptoms and pain I am in. So while these tests make me feel dumb, in the long run they should help me.
    Good luck. I did average on some scales, but on others I was pretty bad.
  4. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul New Member

I enjoyed having this done. Found out I remember less than I thougt! They read two stories than wanted me to recall the stories to them. Put some shape puzzles together. Played what's missing from the picture. Kind of funny things but it did uncover where I had the most problems. Enjoy it and they want to know what you can NOT remember.
  5. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

what is a MMPI test?
    I am not looking forward to feeling frustrated during the testing but am looking forward to some clarification.
    Thanks for your responses.
  6. catsii

catsii New Member

Pammy123, please share your experience when the testing is done. I would love to know what may be offered to you for this problem. I often in mid sentence can't come up with a regular, normal, everyday word. I didn't know there is such a thing as memory tests...would love to know more.
    Thanks
    catsii
  7. shazz

shazz New Member

Means Minnesota Personality something or other.
    THis in itself is not a memory test. It is a series of nearly 600 questions true/false which you answer. There are built in factors to determine if you are lying throughout the test.
    This test indicates depression, anxiety, socialization etc etc, and is sometimes used to detect malingering for disability cases, by SS and private insurance companies.
    When I took it, I thought for sure it was going to say I lied, because some of the questions would seem to make you contradict yourself, but my L score (lie factor) was fine.
    Interesting stuff.
    Good luck on your memory test and let me tell you what I was told when I started bawling because I felt so stupid for not being able to recall things. This is NOT a measure of intelligence at all. My IQ has always been well above average, and I was assured this probably has not changed. This is a memory test only and my short term memory is SHOT!! Down the toilet.
    Let us know how it turns out for you.