Going to Quit Smoking...But I Have Panic Disorder

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by futurehope, Mar 25, 2006.

1. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Hi everyone,

I have decided to quit smoking due to health issues.

I went out and bought some of the nicotine gum today. Tomorrow I will be buying the calendar so I can place my stickers on the dates so I will know when to start tapering down and when finally to quit.

My hubby has quit twice with the gum, once for 5 years and once for 2 years. His father and mother were also successful in quitting with the gum.

I actually quit for 7 years (Cold Turkey) several years back, but I realize I cannot do that anymore. I know this time I need some help.

Since I have Panic Disorder and Anxiety, I am wondering if the gum will help relieve some of this. Has anyone else quit who has had these problems?

A few more questions, what actually causes lung cancer? Is it the tar, the smoke, or the nicotine??

And has anyone else been successful with the gum?

What helped you with the mental addition of smoking? What I mean is what helped you not pick up another cigarette, what did you do or think about?

Thanks in advance for all of your advice!!

Love and prayers,
  2. Chermione

Chermione New Member

I quit 9 years ago. I used the patch and weaned off. It wasn't the first try, or the second or the third, you get the point. It happens when you're ready and usually after you've failed as many times as it takes to finally break you of the chain. My husband quit and my brother quit, if we all can do it, anyone can!
    As for what causes lung cancer, I believe it's any toxin we breath in, all of the things in cigarettes as well as what is already in our air. Every person is different and what it takes for one person to get cancer is different for another. Cigarettes just raise the risks up very high.

When I finally quit, I had a couple of mental games and imagry going on. First, I imagined that cigarettes was a monster playing a game with me, knowing that I'd lose like I had done so many times before. I saw him, in my mind, sitting across the table laughing at me and being cocky. I knew I could hold out longer this time, I knew I was going to shut him up for good.
    As the patches weaned me down I envisioned my "nicotine river", that river of nicotine raging in our heads that calls to us whenever the banks start to dry up. I envisioned that river, instead of filling the dry banks up with water (nicotine) again, I'd hold out and instead let that dry dirt get weeds, grass, dandolions growing instead. As time went on, my river get shallower and thinner, all the time the newer dried up banks kept filling in with grass and weeds and dandolions. Until finally my river was no more and I had a meadow of beautiful tall grass where I could breath the freshest air on Earth!

That really helped me get through.
    Also, I kept my breath fresh with gum or brushing my teeth. I'm using that trick now to control my eating. It is a good tool. Also, keep your hands busy with a basket of stuff to do by your couch. Put in word searches, or any craft you might do like cross stitch or crochet, put rubber bands and pencils in there to play with. Just anything else to reach for. Don't forget to put gum in there too!

I wanted to say too that I have suffered from panic attacks as well and I didn't have any extra problems with it while quitting. I've learned to deal with them really well now that I rarely have them now.

Good luck! I know you can do it!
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 03/25/2006</i>]
  3. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I've heard it said that when you stop smoking that it's a good idea to have a new project to help take your mind off the fact you are quiting smoking. I was reading your bio and just thinking It would be so cool if you were up to making one of your 3 dogs a service dog.

My Ruby helps me so much with my panic and anxiety attacks. I was so bad that I would not leave my house. Ruby is a 1 1/2 year old boxer that I'm training as my service dog. When I first started training her she would get very nervous just before I would have an attack (at home or in public). Well as I focused on her because she was acting so strange I found that dealing with my attack was easyer (I forgot about me). Some how Ruby knows I'm going to have an attack before it happens. I take her everywhere with me, food store, clothing store, dollar store or whereever I go she goes. I'm having less attacks nowdays and I'm getting braver about going out in public because she is by my side.
    I just though I'd share with you what a great blessing Ruby is in my life and I thought maybe you could start training one of your dogs to help you with your attacks while you quit smoking. It will keep your hands very busy!lol
    Best wishes to you,

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 03/26/2006</i>]
  4. futurehope

futurehope New Member

For taking the time to write to me.

I went out today and bought some things to play with to keep my mind off smoking, and also things to put into my mouth (plastic straws) and hard candy.

Your suggestions are all GREAT!!

I will refer back to this when I need more help.

I went onto the Nic website today and enrolled. They asked many questions to outline a specific plan based on how I answered alot of my questions.

One thing that they told me that is because of how I answered my questions, my need for smoking was more psychological (sp) than addictive. That is good news!!

So I looks like I will have to play with things alot.

I will make it, I know I will. And as far as the Panic Attacks/Anxiety goes. I will just remember the only reason I might have one is because of the withdrawl.

Thank you all!!

Love and prayers,
  5. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi , I quit smoking in the 80's and then went to chewing tobacco( scoal) yes nasty i know but I was getting my nicotine fix without the breathing problems I was having smoking. I am not saying go to smokeless tobacco products as for me it was much harder to quit it than the cigs. Then I was afraid of getting throat cancer or some other type as it isnt safe to use either. Now I have been on the nicotine gum for many years and my Dr. is ware of it and says its much safer than the other and your not getting all those bad chemicals yet you will still get your nicotine fix and it is just as addicting as chewing and smoking. I was on the 4mg until recently and finally have gone down to the 2 mg.I will try to quit it all someday but for now Im still on the gum. I also suffer from anxiety and panic disorder and if you chew the nicotine gum back to back which I have done many times you can have palpatations, nervousness, high blood pressure, anxiety, if I chew it like im suppose to I dont have any problems. I buy mine all off ebay because I can get it much cheaper $9.00-for 110 pieces or around $14.00 for 170 pieces sometimes cheaper in larger lots. I perfer the original flavor , not mint or cinnamon etc as of course Im wanting that nicotine taste. haha hope this helps . Im certainly not recomending you start this but wanted to share my story with you. Good luck and god Bless
  6. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi, yes I know how very dangerous it can be I lost my sweet Grandpa from jaw cancer at the age of 54 from chewing plug tobacco.He was a very handsome man until the cancer and they had to remove teeth, jawbone and his face was all sunk in plus going through all the cancer treatments and still dies leaving my grandma and 13 children behind. Thanks for replying to my post, I always enjoy reading all your post and have learned a great deal about supplements from you!Keep up the good work and dont let a few badmouther's on this board slow you down because some (most) all of us appreciate all your input! God Bless Im really thinking hard about trying the grapeseed extract to see if it would help me.
  7. loto

loto Member

I quit smoking twice in my life, but picked them back up again. Stress is what made me start again. One time I quit cold turkey, one with the gum. The gum did help, but like I said, 6 weeks after I quit, I started stressing too much and stuffing food in my mouth, so I started up again.&lt;BR&gt;
    I still smoke now, and know I NEED to quit, but at the moment have no desire or motivation to do it. &lt;BR&gt;
    Just one thing I've learned recently-One type of Wellbutrin is known to help people quit smoking. Have you considered a medication to help???&lt;BR&gt;