Going to School with Fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by aubrygreen, Jan 18, 2007.

1. aubrygreen

aubrygreen New Member

So I'm two weeks into my first real term of college since I came down with fibromyalgia, and I have to say it's been a real shock. I'm in the middle of my bachelor's degree in Linguistics, and although I'm only taking three classes, the amount of information I'm expected to process is getting overwhelming. When I was in college before, I never had a problem with learning things at a rapid pace. I remember one quarter when I took 6 classes and was working part-time; I was busy probably 80-90 hours a week, but it was so interesting and fun that I didn't mind. Now, I'm barely a full time student and it seems like I'm spending twice as much effort to learn a tenth as much.

I was always a pretty bright student, but now I think I need to figure out ways to help myself learn. I feel like I have a learning disorder. Hell, I feel like I've had a lobotomy.

The hardest things for me are focusing on what the professor is saying during lectures, and learning new concepts, particularly vocabulary. I've made some flashcards to help with vocab, but they haven't been particularly helpful. I also have a tape recorder to record lectures so I can listen to them two or three times, but they're just as hard to pay attention to the third time around, and anyway re-listening to lectures takes up a LOT of time, time that I don't have.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things to make learning easier? I know there are many students on this board. What do you do to help you get good grades in school in spite of the fatigue, brain fog, and haze of pain?

2. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

Dear Aubrygreen: It sounds like you are doing everything right to help yourself remember information. The only other thing I could think of was to try to find a study buddy or join a study group. I just finished graduate studies last August and I am going to start another master's program next week. I know how hard it is. I managed to work full-time and mainatain a 4.0 last year. Looking back, I know I could not have done it without the support of my classmates. Alot of long winded telephone studying. Sometimes just saying the information outloud to someone helps. Good luck and remember to take it one-day-at-a time.

Hugs,
    Kelly