Going to see my doc tomorrow morning...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by katvwolf, Jan 18, 2007.

1. katvwolf

katvwolf New Member

I'm still in agonizing pain from the accident and it's been almost three weeks since it happened. I guess this is to be expected though. I don't know if my doc is going to be able to do anything (I won't take narcotics and I'm already on tramadol) for me, but I need to get checked out anyway for insurance purposes. Always good to have this sort of thing documented, right?

Because the people at fault for the accident are lying to the insurance companies, their insurance company is refusing to pay. Their agent is saying that it's their word against ours. I'm still in disbelief that they are lying. We may have to take them to court. I really didn't want to do that, but it isn't fair that we will probably have to pay our deductible and our insurance company will probably have to pay for damage this kid did (there is A LOT of damage to our car). Not to mention the pain I'm in-the least these people could've done was tell the truth. The parents watched their 16 year old kid slam into us with me hanging halfway out of the car! They have no qualms at all helping their son lie though, since their son is covered under their insurance policy.

Off my soapbox now! LOL!

2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

And hope you can get some relief. People will lie about anything. The person who put my brother on life support for the past several months also is lying too and shows no remorse.

God is watching them.

Love Annie C.
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

And hope you can get some relief. People will lie about anything. The person who put my brother on life support for the past several months also is lying too and shows no remorse.

God is watching them.

Love Annie C.
  4. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Yes you should always get things like this documented.

Sorry you are having to deal with people like this.

Take care,
    Susan07
  5. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

Was there a police report filed? Have you had any damage to your car repaired yet? Have you had any estimates for car damages? Were there any witnesses besides the people involved?

These sources would be of great help to you in your claim.

Also, since you have personal physical damages, have you given any thought to contacting a personal injury attorney?

From personal experience, do not sign anything, do not talk to the other driver's insurance company (you are not required to, no matter how "nice" they are on the phone) and from this point on, please always keep a camera in your glove box. Pictures speak volumes.
  6. katvwolf

katvwolf New Member

Well, I saw my doc today and acted like a big, blubbering baby. I had such a hard time getting my coat off because I hurt so badly that I started crying when the nurse asked me how I was doing! I told she and my doc all about the accident. The doc checked me over and has scheduled me for an MRI next week. I honestly don't think anything is broken or fractured (he didn't either), so I feel like he is doing this to cover his own butt. Better safe than sorry though, I guess. I have severe pain in most of my trigger points, as well as some spasming muscles and my neck is in bad shape...I also seem to ache all over, feel exhausted and fluish. Guess this is all to be expected, considering the fact that I have fibro/chronic pain to begin with and I was halfway out of the car when the accident happened.

The doc wanted to put me on darvocet or codeine, but I refused because they are narcotics and addiction issues run in my family (alcoholism). He upped my tramadol and told me to take tylenol on top of it if that didn't work. My hip kept cracking when he repeatedly moved my right leg around and it hurt, but he didn't seem to think much of it. He also wanted to increase my nightly amitriptyline from 10mg to 20mg, but took that idea back when I told him it would make me too sleepy.

Our car is still in the shop. It was deemed undrivable. There is damage to the hood, the driver's side headlight, side panel and driver's side door. The shop has to take off the entire front of the car because they are worried there are "internal injuries". We haven't heard what the estimate of damage is yet, but we're guessing it is around $5K. The insurance company of the driver at fault (technically the father's insurance) is refusing to pay, saying that it is their word against ours, and because their client is lying, we are basically screwed.

Waxdiva, we did call the police when the accident happened, but they refused to come, saying that it had happened on privately owned property, so there was nothing they could do! We also immediately called our insurance, asking what we should do and they told us to ask the police!!!! It is extremely aggravating. There were probably witnesses, but no one that came forward to help. The kid's parents were there and they saw their son slam into our car, but they are the ones lying to the insurance company! We filed a police report like we were supposed to at the station the next day. The other people did not, nor did they report the accident to their insurance. In fact, they didn't become involved until our agent, who had to track them down, contacted them and threatened legal action. Not surprising given how rude they were at the scene of the accident.

Ironically, last week I was at the bank and was telling the teller there about the accident (to explain my absent-minded behavior, since I had just found out that these people were lying to our insurance company). Her mouth dropped open and she asked me if the kid drove a black pick-up truck. When I confirmed that he did, she proceeded to tell me that the family comes into the bank all the time. She had already heard all about the accident from the father when he was in the week before. Apparently, he told everyone in the bank that his son had hit someone! Grrrrrrr.

My father-in-law has a friend who is a mayor somewhere in CO , so he called him for advice. Ironically, the same sort of situation had just happened to his wife! He said to file an insurance fraud report (there is a specific agency that does it) and give the report number to our insurance company. Then, he said to ask them to refer us to an accident attorney.

I really didn't want to sue these people. Afterall, the accident was caused by a 16 year old and I try to think of my son making mistakes when he is that age. However, now that they've lied to the insurance companies, I don't have much of a choice. I don't feel it is fair that my insurance company and I have to pay for the damage this kid did to our car. Not to mention that I don't deserve to have my insurance rates go up (neither my husband or I have ever had any points on our licenses-I've never even had a parking ticket!). And, I don't feel it is fair that I/my med insurance company should have to pay for doc bills I incur because of this kid. Not to mention, I've been in severe pain since the accident. It is just so disappointing, to say the very least, what ever happened to teaching your child to be honest???

Kat
  7. katvwolf

katvwolf New Member

I cannot tell you how sorry I am to hear about your brother on life support and that there are lying, cheating people in that situation, too! That is just terrible.

I'll keep him in my prayers.

Kat
  8. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

Please keep in mind that your accident has left you with physical injuries. Have you been tested to determine if any of the injuries could possibly be permanent?

Your sympathy for the 16-yr-old that caused the wreck is understandable. Insurance companies have very slick people working for them and when it comes to their jobs, they are emotionless; please do not speak with any representative of their insurance company, no matter how sympathetic you may feel towards the other party. Also, pls, pls take photos of anyone who has sustained injuries caused by the wreck and take photos of your vehicle if you haven't done this already.

PI cases become very technical and good insurance investigators can determine who did what by examining the damage done to the vehicles, and by injuries that were sustained by the occupants of the vehicles.

As the other side is denying the facts, you (most likely) will be forced to hire a PI attorney. Start the search for a good one now.
  9. katvwolf

katvwolf New Member

My hubby and I were the only ones in the car, Thank God. My hubby is a big guy (6,2 210lbs.), so he was okay, I'm only 5,2, 110lbs, and was halfway out of the car when the impact occurred, so I suffered severe jarring. There is nothing to take a pic of, as I have muscle injuries/my FM symptoms were exacerbated. I am going for an MRI next week, but that isn't going to show my trigger points/muscle spasming, etc. It also isn't going to show the overall, achey fluish feeling I have.

We have a satellite pic of the location where the accident occurred, which will allow us to demonstrate that it is physically impossible for us to have hit the kid. Since we are going to take this all to court, we can call the bank teller in to tell the story of the dad telling everyone in the bank how his son hit us. Also, because I was trying to exit the car, it is highly doubtful that my hubby would have taken the car out of park. If we hit these people, why didn't they file a police report/file an insurance claim. Statistics are also on our side. Young males are known for their propensity to drive carelessly, which is why their insurance rates are so high. My hubby has been driving for 15 years and has never had a point on his license.

Unfortunately, the car is still in the shop, so we can't take pics. The other insurance company was supposed to go down there and take pics themselves.

I know what you mean about not talking to the other insurance company. My hubby talked to them a week or so ago and they tried to twist his words. They blamed the accident on him and were rude and emotionless. I agree about not talking to them-we are not going to from now on.

Our agent is actually on VACATION, if you can believe that. They didn't give us another agent while she is away. She comes back Monday, so we are going to find out if they are going to assess damage to the car to confirm the kid hit us.

Whatever the case, we have decided to sue. We are going to file an insurance fraud report and ask our agent to refer us to a good accident attorney.

Kat
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Thanks for your sympathies. I would also suggest that you go for one of those big attorney companies. I know they sound like sleeze bags, but guess what, the insurance company will try and get the cheapest deal possible.

Go for one of the big companies who only do these claims. They ask for no up front money and the one my SIL got is only charging 15% and is doing all the work. It is in their best interests to get things moving but I have to tell you that State Farm paid up for the vehicle in about 6 weeks, but the injuries claim (which by the way she writes down all expenses going to the hospital, child care, even when I went up to visit on the bus ect. phone calls, whatever) and this company pays her every month for expenses, which they will deduct one the settlement is reached. It has been a lifesaver. They say most claims take anything from one year to three. So it is important to get someone who asks for no money and pays out like this.

For the record their agent was away too, and they did not assign another person, even though the crash made the news and front page as it involved jaws of life etc.

They are in Canada, but I would check the ones that advertise on tv. Don't trust the insurance agent to refer.

Good luck, and go for it. I left a whiplash on me 30 years ago as the driver was a little old lady, and my neck has hurt ever since.

Love Annie Cromwell
  11. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

You stated that your car is in the shop.....

before ANY work is done on your car, go to the shop and take photos...as many as you can from every angle and do not let anyone touch the car until you do this. DO NOT rely on anyone else, especially an insurance agent, to do this.

As you have "hidden" injuries, you must start immediately to keep a daily journal of your injuries and how they are affecting you physically and mentally. Again, even though they are "hidden," have your husband take photos of you weekly to document how these injuries have taken their toll.

I am not familiar with the auto laws in CO; however, ANY attorney, wherever they're located in the US, will respect and appreciate the fact that you are documenting your case via daily journal and photos.

Wax