Going To The Sun Road In Glacier Park

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Apr 16, 2007.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Is now in it's annual ritual of Being plowed open For the onslaught of visitors that will Decend up on it this season!,,Reports of 15 feet of snow being plowed through past the loop,,,,,,which is about 10 miles this side of Logan Pass,,,,,,,The lower Half will be open to Hikers and bikers,,,as of Yesterday. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Which is a really great deal for locals who don't want to pay full price seasonal Fee's,,Full price fees start June 1st,, and of course they go up every year! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Last year it was 25$ for a seven day pass,,,,,Not sure about this year,, It's usually cheaper to get a seasonal pass,,Which I have no clue as how Much it is this year, ,,,,,,Just thought some of you might find interest,,,,,,,,,S
    [This Message was Edited on 04/16/2007]
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I saw an episode that included the Road to the Sun and I have vowed that I will go there before I die.

It looks absolutely wonderful.Acutally, my husband will retire in less than a year and so will a some very good friends of ours. So, we have planned some trips with our RV's...and that is one place we are going.

Do you go every year?

Let us know how it is. Thank you for posting this...what a neat thing for you to do.

3. paulmack

paulmack New Member

I can remember posting some pics of the Going to the Sun Road earlier this year & I must say some of the scenery there is amazing.
    Would love to visit that area of the world & do some hiking/camping.
    Ah well,heres hopin',must get this fibro under control first.
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

thanks for your interest and responces! It's one of the most glorious sights in North Americia! You will absolutley love it Sue when you visit it!,,,,,,,Since I live very Close by I visit often! Mostly in the summer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,But yes Sue i can Tell you that they are building a Transit center now with Buses that will take you to the top of the pass!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It will Be completed in July at a place called Apgar Villige,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It's Located at the west entrance after you enter the park,,, you go straight to the sign and then take a left and it will lead you right to the center!
    Also there is a campground there! so you might want to make Reservations before you come,, do to the high volume of visitors!,,,,,,,,,Wish i Had the #'s for you! can look them Up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Paul I recall the Photos you posted! and i still haven't Learned how to do that yet! Sorry!,,,,,,,,But yes like you I long to Hike alot ,,,,But do to the Fibro it's mostly Driving and stoping at all the turn-outs and campgrounds!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks for your interest!,,,,,,,,,Ssydney
  5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Wow! I've just Googled on Glacier Park and it is still
    on my "must do-due" list.. The public TV did a segment
    over a couple of nites about "Great Lodges of the West"
    That was one of those explored in the presentation
    and that county is just so majestically beautiful it seems. One of the other Lodges programed was
    close to you in Yellowstone as well as Teton Lodge.
    I've been to the two later Lodges over the years and
    was married in Yosemite Valley in 1973. It was a
    Fall wedding with a champaign reception ovelooking the
    Tennis Courts of the Ahwahnee Hotel. We had a sit-
    down Dinner there and spent two nights in one of
    the four penacle suites where JFK stayed when he
    helicoptered into the Valley as President!
    (They even had a waterfountain in the Bathroom)!!!
    Full moon shone on El Capitan that nite!
    Hiked Moran Canyon in the Tetons, but most likely
    couldn't do it now! I'm not 21 years old anymore the
    last time I looked!

Sis Thanks for dusting off some great old memories
    of mine! Gotta get up there to Glacier soon!!!

6. sisland

sisland New Member

sounds like you had a very Quaint little wedding in Yosemite! But yes I live about 20 miles south of Glacier,,So there is Absolutley no Excuse not to visit there as often as i can! ,,,,,,,,,I wake up every day and am very thankful for where i live! although it's isolated from larger cities and towns it's still o.k.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The city closest is Kalispell,,,population about 20,000 in and around the county (Flathead) there are probably another 20,000 but it's all spread out with alot of scenery in between,,,,,Like Flathhead Lake (the largest fresh water lake this side of the Mississippi) Lolo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,But Yes i am no longer able to hike the High Trails do to Fibro and age also! But yes it's a nice place to visit! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Yosemite looks Like a very Beautiful Place also!!!,,,,,,,,,,Wish i owned a Plane!lolol ,,,,Sis
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sounds like a nice place to live. Well, almost anywhere would be better than the Los Angeles urban jungle.

Question: if you plow 15 feeet of snow do you need a plow 15 feet high?

I see on the travel channel that visitors are warned to watch out for speeding glaciers. You know w/ worbal glorming they are now moving at rapid speeds.
  8. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Roc and Sis. 15 ft of Snow sounds like a lot. I saw
    almost 5ft. fall in less that 24 hours when I lived at
    the South East slope of Mt. Lassen!

The world record snowfall for a season, remains to
    my knowledge, at the Summit of Ebbitts Pass Hyway
    4 in Alpine Co. California. I believe it occurred in
    1909 or 1907 and was 97 feet. They use to have a
    sign there commemorating that "feet" of nature!

It is near (at) Bear Valley Ski Resort South of Lake
    Tahoe! If you climb to the Timberline, one can see
    on a clear day at least 100 or more miles eEast into
    Nevada and South across Sonora and Carson Pass-
    es to the Rim of Yosemite Valley!!! Snow up there
    in Aug, normal years!

Well, I'd better get to doin' the "Home on the Range"
    and get that Dinner started.!! ---"where the beer and
    cantalope lain"--were seldom is heard and encour-
    aging word from roommates--eating your "grain".

Bye bye my Friends!

9. sisland

sisland New Member

they Have all the High tech (big snowplows!) and yes i'm guessing they are more than 15 ft! also i've seen in the newspaper where they have huge snow Blowers attached to them ,,,,,,,,,,,,which is a very good idea due to the fact that one side of the road is a huge canyon drop off and the other is a rock wall!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,We are talking above 4700 feet so i know it sounds like alot but it's there,,,,, Mr Dad ,,,,,Great trivia! thanks for the info! I would love to be able to see for 100 miles,,,,,S
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Thanks for the update. The Going-to-the-Sun Road is on my list of places I am going to see someday, when I am better and much improved.

Have you ever heard of the "Million Dollar Highway"--the road that passes through Durango, Silverton, and Ouray Colorado? I used to drive it a lot and hike or camp in the mountains. It's also one of the most spectacular roads in the country.

My other favorite road is Highway 12 through southern Utah, which passes through Boulder, Escalante, and Torrey, Utah, hitting several national parks along the way. Incredible canyon and desert scenery.

Up in Canada, the Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper probably tops them all, however.

Fun post!

11. sisland

sisland New Member

Mystic thankyou for your responce! You Know what i wouldn't mind seeing some corn fields! my Goal is to Get a new camera soon and learn how to post some photos for you all!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,s

Hi Ken,,, i Haven't Heard of the Million Dollar Highway,,,But Thanks i'm going to check it out it seems i'm stuck in my own little world,,except for being able to Google all the wonderful sights that you and Paulmack post!,,,,,,,,Hwy 12 i Have Heard of! Thanks for bringing these to my attenion!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Wouldn't it be fun if we could all get paid (Big Bucks) to be Real Exsplorers!! with all the Gear supplied,,etc!,,,S
    [This Message was Edited on 04/17/2007]
  12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I love the idea of all of us getting payed to be explorers, both virtual and actual. Wouldn't it be fun to explore all of these beautiful places?

Try a Google Image search on the Million Dollar Highway, Silverton, Ouray, or Telluride. There might be some good photos of it there.
  13. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I will keep the RV park in mind. That would be wonderful to camp right there. It would be great for our friends and us. I'm sure the volume is high, so possibly we would need to plan pretty far in advance.

We did stay inside the park at the Grand Canyon when we visited. What a great thing that was. The bus sevice was great and we were able to be there without trying to find parking.

Thanks again for the note. Let us know how your trip was.