Going To Try To Work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Leenerbups, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Hey all,

I collect SSDI ($400 a month) and although I'm still not well, especially mentally, I have to go back to work because I receive so little and we are in need.

I'm going to SSI office today to let them know. I'm so nervous about going back.I don't know if I can handle it, plus Someone told me even if you tell SSI your going back to work they can mess up and haunt you about it later, making you owe money years later, etc.

It's all pretty scary for me.
  2. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

If you go back to work and find you can't do it you may not be able to get ss again and they may think you are faking it.

My understanding on ss was you could not work any job that the work force had to offer.

you may want to look into other ways to handle your financial troubles before you do that.

Take care!!!!! remember this to shall pass what ever (this ) is financial or what ever.
  3. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Call and ask your worker (do you have a worker with SSDI) but call and ask about the Ticket to Work. It is a program that helps with getting back into the workforce or to see if your ready to get back to work. I think there is a certian amount that you can make a month without loosing your benifits but this might be the way to go instead of just getting off SSDI.....SueF
  4. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I went into my local office and they said I could make up to $900 a month and still collect. I don't know, it just doesn't make me feel secure, I hear so many horror stories.

In any case...when she asked me where I would be a new hire...I could not remember the name of the company and had to call my partner and ask him where I was just hired. I explained that I have cognitive issues caused by my illness.
    True story. lol
  5. labrat

labrat New Member

Just thought I'd share my experiences-positive-while working and getting SSDI. I worked part time for a yr earning less than $400/mo and kept my full SSDI benefits. I gave SSDI copies of my monthly earnings as is required.

Then 8mos ago, I started working full time and am receiving benefits still, under the ticket to work program. My case will be reviewed after 9 mos of earning "gainful employment" and then benefits will be stopped.

But there are provisions to get an SSDI check (for a period of time-I don't remember how many mos) if my income falls under the gainful employment level (without filing a claim again).
    Tracy