going to try work again Mon

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by susabar, Feb 14, 2003.

1. susabar

susabar New Member

To make a long story short... it took me a long time to get a note from my doctor stating i could only work part-time. 4 hours in a day. My boss called me today and said I had two weeks of part-time, then he wanted me back full-time. I am seriously worried about getting through an 4 hour day, 5 days in a row!!!
    That's all.
    L Sue
  2. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I think it is so important for us to continue working if we can. However, WE know our limitations! Our dr's nor our bosses walk in our shoe's! I feel your doctor is absolute scum if it was that difficult to get a letter out of him stating your desire to work part time- He is to be your health advocate. My dr wrote me a very nice letter to my employer stating that I must be excused from the a.m. hours because of sleep deprevation and need for pain meds. My employeer has been wonderful and I am on medical leave from the morning hours until the end of the school year. I THINK that if your dr. gives you a letter stating that you must work only part time than the employeer has to accept this. You might want to check in at the department of labor web-site. FMS in considered a disability.
    good luck. I know what your feeling.
  3. karen55

karen55 New Member

Just want to wish you luck tomorrow. Keep us updated.

Karen
  4. catgal

catgal New Member

Hi Sue~~I can relate to how stressful your job situation can be. I am 53 and worked full time till 1993, and then had to leave a high paying job with great benefits because of my FM/CFS, osteo, psoriatic, and rheumatoid arthritis. I loved my job, and it was a difficult decision to make, but I just couldn't physically do it anymore.

I found a part-time job working 3 days a week for considerably less money and no insurance, no benefits. As I am my sole financial support, it was a major change & adjustment in lifestyle and finances. But the extra days off and not having to put in 40+ hours a week 5 to 6 days a week put Time in my life to rest, heal, de-stress, and have some quality of life.

I have been in the same part-time job for 10 years now. I work 8 hours a day Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday. However, a year ago I was diagnosed with advanced degenerative disc disease with multiple back problems and a couple of weeks ago with nerve damage. And, over the past two years it has become harder & harder to work those 8 hour days 3 days in a row. By Wednesday afternoon, I am so tired and in pain. By Thursday when my work-week is over, I am completely exhausted, and the pain is at a max. I am on narcotic pain management, and that is the only way I am able to work at all--but the pain meds take a toll on me also. I am basically bedridden on Friday & Saturday. Then on Sunday & Monday, I have all of life's duties, chores, and responsibilities to take care of.

I think it is a shame that your physician has not been more supportive of you, and that your boss is not sympathic towards your medical condition. I know I often feel as though I am hanging onto my job by my fingernails, and that is very stressful. I worry about the days I have to call in sick, and I don't get paid unless I work. So, many days I just drag myself to work because I don't have any other choice.

If your boss insists that you return to full time work, you may have a difficult decision to make--but it is essential that you take care of yourself, your life, and your health. You have to do what is best for you. And if you cannot negotiate a flexible work schedule with your boss, then you may need to look for a part-time job that will accommodate your needs.

I hope things work out for you, and that when you return to work you will have the strength to do what you need to do--not only in your job, but for yourself. Best Wishes, Carol...
  5. nje

nje New Member

FM IS A DISABILITY,I KNOW,I APPILED FOR IT,THEY TURNED ME DOWN THE FIRST TIME,BUT I WAS EXPECTING THAT AFTER WHAT MY LAWYER TOLD ME.HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN SINCE YOU WERE DIAGNOSED WITH FM? IF YOU`VE BEEN SICK FOR AT LEAST A YEAR,OR YOU KNOW THAT YOUR DISEASE IS GOING TO CONTINUE,(WHICH IT IS) FOR A YEAR OR SO LONGER,WHICH IT WILL,YOU GOT A SOLID CASE. CALL A VERY GOOD LAWYER,1 WHO SPECIALIZES IN JUST DISABILITY,AND YOU`RE OM YOUR WAY. NOW MY DOCTORS ALL STOOD WITH ME ON MY DISABILITY,THEY GIVE WRITTEN,AND ORAL INFORMATION, ABOUT ME.THATS WHAT A NO. 1 LAWYER WILL DO FOR YOU,LIKE MINE DID FOR ME. IT TOOK 1 YEAR ALMOST TO THE DAY I HIRED HIM FOR THEM TO APPROVE ME. BUT I DIDN`T EVEN HAVE TO GO TO A HEARING,I`M NOW AWAITING MY BACKPAY OF 2 YEARS.ITS A LONG ROAD WHILE YOU`RE TRAVELLING IT,(GETTING DISABILITY) BUT ITS WORTH WHILE IN THE END.BUT YOU`LL HAVE TO QUIT WORKING COMPLETELY WHEN AND IF YOU FILE FOR IT. TRUST ME,I COULDN`T HOLD DOWN A 30 MINUTE JOB,IF YOU HAVE IT AS BAD AS ME ,YOU DON`T NEED TO PUSH YOURSELF TO WORK,ITS ONLY GOING TO MAKE YOU FEEL WORSE AND WORSE. WHILE YOU ARE WAITING ON YOUR DISAB.YOU CAN GET LOCAL ASSISTANCE LIKE MEDICAID FOR DOC.AND HOSPITAL STAYS AND IF YOU ARE NOT MARRIED YOU CAN GET A WHOLE LOT MORE. WHAT STATE DO YOU LIVE IN? MY LAWYER TOLD ME YOU ARE CONSIDERED DISABLED WHEN YOU CAN NO LONGER WORK THE HOURS YOU WERE USE TO WORKING.THAT PART TIME STUFF IS NOT GOING TO GET IT. YOU CAN GET YOUR DISABILITY AND GET A LOT MORE THAN THAT,PLUS YOU COULD TAKE BETTER CARE OF YOURSELF. I WANT TO TELL YOU SOMETHING I LEARNED THE HARD WAY, A LONG TIME AGO, THAT IS; YOU HAD BETTER TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF,BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE IS.I HOPE THAT DON`T SOUND CRUDE AND BITTER. ITS NOT MEANT THAT WAY. I`M 52 YEARS OLD,I HAVE A HUSBAND ,2 SONS, THEY TRY TO UNDERSTAND ME,BUT THEY NEVER WILL,UNTIL THEY WALK IN OUR SHOES, NOBODY IS GOING TO UNDERSTAND YOU OR YOUR ILLNESS. DON`T LET ANYONE MAKE YOU FEEL LAZY OR GUILITY IF YOU FILE FOR DISABILITY,BECAUSE THATS THE ONE SUREFIRED WAY YOU KNOW YOU`LL HAVE MONEY COMING IN EVERY MONTH AND YOU CAN GET MEDICARE ALSO. THIS WORKING A LITTLE HERE AND A LITTLE THERE IS JUST HOLDING YOU BACK FROM FILING FOR DISABILITY,YOU OR NOBODY CAN LIVE ON 4 HOURS A DAY,THATS JUST LONG ENOUGH TO MAKE YOUR PAIN WORSE. WELL I`VE TALKED LONGER THAN I SHOULD, AS USUAL. IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS, ABOUT DISAB. OR ANYTHING, EMAIL ME AT BABYDOLLS20000@AOL.COM. BYE FOR NOW,HOPE YOU AT LEAST THINK ABOUT WHAT I`VE TOLD YOU. NJE JEAN TO MY FRIENDS