Goitrogens and Thyroid Health

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by jaminhealth, Jun 3, 2014.

1. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I'm aware of MOST of the foods listed here but learned recently from the thyroid support group I'm on that Strawberries and Almonds are goitrogenic. So food for thought...

www.womentowomen.com/.../goitrogens-and-thyroid-health-the-good-news/

It's true that there are certain foods that contain goitrogens, which are ... but the
    good news is, in most cases you don't have to cross them off your grocery list.
    Thinking about the Soy Craze in America and how I jumped on soy milk years back and was falling over with fatigue and had no idea it was soy....my chiro muscle tested and sure enough, it was the soy cwap....then I started my research and learned so much.

It's true foods can make you sick and foods can keep you healthier....gotta weed them out.

Oh, some say almonds are goitrogenic and I've read not so much, but I've cut out almonds for the most part and almond milk, for what milk I use, it's coconut milk, good for the thyroid.....

Hope the Link opens for you folks....
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  2. Darrae

Darrae Member

Informational input:

My herbalist told me long ago to avoid soy, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli as they all slow down thyroid function. I was also told to avoid coconut and anything with coconut oil in it, as well as peanut butter, hydrogenated oils, anything with a long list of ingredients, and anything with ingredients one has to stare at for 5 minutes to pronounce.

Dar
  3. jaminhealth

Dar, the coconut comment surprises, everything I've read for years talks about it's benefits...I've been a followerer of Weston Price Foundation for years and they are big on Coconut Oil. I use it daily in so much I do/take.....even use it as a "base" for the toothpaste I make up.....jam
  4. Darrae

Darrae Member

Jam, This may be why the herbalist was anti-coconut oil for my son and myself:

Just one tablespoon of coconut oil has more than 13 grams of fat. Four tablespoons will give you almost the entire U.S. recommended maximum daily intake of fat. And coconut oil has the highest saturated fat of any oil -- 10 times the saturated fat of olive oil, for example. So it may not be surprising that no clinical studies have actually documented a connection between coconut oil and weight loss.

Coconut defenders say this doesn't matter for two reasons. First, coconut oil contains medium-chain triglycerides, which are easier to process than long-chain fatty acids are. Second, they say, the only proof that coconut oil is bad for you comes from a decades-old study that was flawed and used partially hydrogenated oil, which contains trans fats. Most coconut oil on the market now is virgin (cold-pressed) oil . Even the defenders of coconut oil warn against consuming non-virgin oil, which is partially hydrogenated.

If the coconut-oil defenders are correct, then great -- coconuts and saturated fat for everyone! But if they're not, then a coconut-oil regimen could do some serious damage to your heart health. And it won't take long to do it. One study found that people on coconut-oil diets showed higher arterial fat just hours after one meal . Prominent doctor Andrew Weil notes coconut oil's potentially damaging effects on blood cholesterol and opines that, unless more research can demonstrate its good health effects, you shouldn't use it. Plus, if all that fat doesn't reduce your total caloric intake, it could actually lead to weight gain.

One way to get some benefits from coconut oil without worrying about its cardiac effects is to rub it on your skin.
    Bearing this in mind, using it to make your toothpaste or rubbing it on your skin, might not be a bad thing. But, I don't ingest anything with coconut oil in it.
  5. jaminhealth

Thanks Dar for your comments...I will continue with Coconut Oil and Milk (I use little) and use some Olive Oil and Hemp Oil for my salads....CO for cooking....There is TONS of info out there and I pretty much trust the Weston Price group as they have done mega research on oils.....thanks again....jam