Gold filling vs. composite – which is the lesser of the 2 evils?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lilwren, Nov 6, 2002.

  1. lilwren

    lilwren New Member

    I must have an old mercury filling replaced. I had every intention of using the white composite material, but when I went to the dentist he suggested gold because it is stronger and lasts longer. The tooth that needs the filling is a large molar that gets a lot of wear and tear, and the dentist says the composite is less pliable than gold so it will break down more quickly and need to be replaced more often. The composite it much less expensive, but the gold is supposed to last 30 years instead of 7.

    Has anyone had any complications from having a gold filling? I have many auto-immune problems (in addition to CFIDS) and am concerned that the addition of gold to my body will elicit more problems. I searched the internet (and the message board) and can’t find anything regarding gold fillings and immune problems, or toxicity. Everything I find on the net just says gold is very durable. I’m so torn about what to do! I wish I had more information to base a decision on. Any help on this would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!

    Love,
    Sharon L
  2. lilwren

    lilwren New Member

    I must have an old mercury filling replaced. I had every intention of using the white composite material, but when I went to the dentist he suggested gold because it is stronger and lasts longer. The tooth that needs the filling is a large molar that gets a lot of wear and tear, and the dentist says the composite is less pliable than gold so it will break down more quickly and need to be replaced more often. The composite it much less expensive, but the gold is supposed to last 30 years instead of 7.

    Has anyone had any complications from having a gold filling? I have many auto-immune problems (in addition to CFIDS) and am concerned that the addition of gold to my body will elicit more problems. I searched the internet (and the message board) and can’t find anything regarding gold fillings and immune problems, or toxicity. Everything I find on the net just says gold is very durable. I’m so torn about what to do! I wish I had more information to base a decision on. Any help on this would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!

    Love,
    Sharon L
  3. lilwren

    lilwren New Member

    Maybe you won’t have the sensitivity to gold that you do to the composite. This is the first I had heard of gold fillings too! It’s more like an insert than a filling – they make an impression and send it to the lab and then cement it in when it comes back. I may be like you and be allergic to the composites so I’m leaning toward the gold. BUT, it’s expensive! He quoted me $700 for the one molar – so much for replacing all of them this year! I suppose between mercury, composite, and gold – gold may be the least toxic for us. I just read that the composites have aluminum and formaldehyde in them!? Aaaagh! I’m so tired of having to analyze everything I put in my body!

    If anyone knows of any useful sites regarding dental filling materials please e-mail me (in my bio). Thanks again.

    Love,
    Sharon L
  4. amymb74

    amymb74 New Member

    I read a lot about mercury fillings - mostly Dr Zamm - but gold is the one with the least problems as far as sensitivity but some say if you have silver (another metal) in your mouth the 2 can cause a problem w/some kind of electrical energy (I forget exactly - would have to check my books) But, some dentists will check you for what you are sensitive to - never had it done myself but they do have a test. A friend of mine w/FM was tested before she had her fillings replaced - they told her gold would be best but she swapped the amalgam for composite because of the price. Amy
  5. lilwren

    lilwren New Member

    I just read an article on-line about having gold and mercury fillings in ones mouth at the same time causing some sort of electrical problem!? Now I'm even more confused! I do 'discharge' myself everyday though. My husband put a copper grounding rod near the back porch and ran a wire into the house - so I go out there and hold the wire for a few minutes each day and discharge my electrical energy into the ground. It was suggested by one doc I went to regarding high levels of mercury. I've been doing it about a month - can't tell if it's really helping or not. I figure it can't hurt. My god this DD is wearing me out!

    love,
    Sharon L
  6. amymb74

    amymb74 New Member

    the things we do!! I started reading & thought you were joking at first, then realized you weren't & I'm picturing your husband and the grounding wire & laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes. I never heard of that. I AM NOT LAUGHING AT YOU!! just the abnormal things we do. That is too much & your husband explaining what he's up to to the neighbors..........I think this is why some cfids/fm people just get them all yanked & go for dentures - I came across how bad root canals were AFTER I spent $800 to save my tooth - who knows?? My luck I'd have a reaction to the super-poly-grip & be gummin' it! Amy
  7. lilwren

    lilwren New Member

    My husband asked me not to tell anyone because he didn't want people to think we were crazy! Hey I'll try anything! It only cost a few bucks so I figured what the heck! Glad I could give you a laugh - my husband will kill me if he ever finds out I told. :)

    Seriously though - the doctor who suggested it did make sense. The last several years I've noticed I actually spark when I reach for a metal door knob. The doc I talked to about it said that it was from a build up of electrical current (I guess static basically) in my body that was trying to discharge. Since I rarely go out and am always on carpet or grass I really have no way for my body to discharge, and the doc theorized that my tremors could be improved by a daily discharge - don't start laughing again. :) There are articles on-line about it - I'm really not crazy. People who work on computer components have to wear anti-static shoes so they don't short out the components with their human static. IT'S TRUE! Stop laughing!

    I'm about ready to gum it too! I'll need a second mortgage on my house to get all the mercury replaced.

    love,
    Sharon L
  8. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    A molar which needs a really big filling will most likely break somewhere down the road. For the $700, you could have a ceramic crown made. Ceramics are extremely strong and look like natural teeth.

    No wonder I think I'm a Princess; I have so many crowns!

    Love, Mikie
  9. Stormy214

    Stormy214 New Member

    Lilwren, reading these messages was like a lightening bolt out of the blue for me! No pun intended....For so long now there has been a running joke in my family about how "staticky" I am. I can't touch a $#$&*# thing without getting a shock, and never in my life would I have dreamed that this was something I might actually be able to do something about! Or that it had anything to do with my symptoms! Or my teeth, for that matter! And while laugh delightedly at what my neighbors will think if they see me standing outside meditating with our ground post, you can bet I will put that on my daily agenda until I figure out what to do with what's left of my teeth! Thank you!
    Stormy
  10. genevieve

    genevieve New Member

    Yes I've read too that you should n't have amalgam fillings and any other metal filling in your mouth as you get electic currents flowing between them and this can increases the release of mercury into your system.

    Good luck,

    Genevieve
  11. lilwren

    lilwren New Member

    Hi everyone,

    I just wanted to say thanks for your help and input. You are all very kind for taking the time to help me.

    I'm halfway through reading Dr. Huggin's book on mercury toxicity and I think I am going to stay away from gold. Like many of you stated it will only cause more electrical problems. I found the Dental Amalgam Mercury Syndrome site and they have a list of dentists who do the 'Huggins' protocol and I found a dentist close to me - have an appointment next week. Can't wait to see what he has to say! I was scheduled for my regular dentist to just replace them, but after reading Huggin's book I realized it could (would) probably make me more ill unless certain measures were taken to avoid further mercury exposure - like the vapors from drilling.

    love to you all,

    Sharon L
  12. Nannibel

    Nannibel Member

    There have been quite a few posts besides yours on these dental decisions. I have had two root canals recently.
    The dentist told me that using gold for the cap would be best for me because hardly anyone is sensitive to gold.
    He asked me if I was every sensitive to jewelry, which I am, I can only wear the surgical steel or sterling or gold.
    He said the porcelain crowns are lined with other metals that I might be allergic to, so I just had the gold crown put on this week. Now I'm hearing there's electric charges with the mercury fillings. Its like damn if you do , damn if you don't with all these different dental decisions.My teeth have had fillings all my life, does anyone know if dentists ususally use silver fillings or mercury? I don't even know whats in most of mine!