Golden Girls CFS/ME Episode on YouTube

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rafiki, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I had not seen this before but found it on YouTube. It's absolutely worth watching but it's very sobering to think that this is nearly 20 years old and we have made such little progress. Nevertheless, the emotional content is right on the money as are the symptoms described. There is even a moment where Sophia tells Dorothy (the PWME) to wash off her makeup because she doesn't look sick and maybe that's the problem.

If you search "Golden Girls: Sick and Tired" on You tube you will get it. It was broadcast over two episodes and is very awkwardly numbered. To see both episodes in sequence, watch as follows:

The Golden Girls: Sick and Tired Part 1
    The Golden Girls: Sick and Tired Part 2
    The Golden Girls: Sick and Tired Part 3

The Golden Girls: Sick and Tired Part 2 of 4
    The Golden Girls: Sick and Tired Part 2 of 5
    The Golden Girls: Sick and Tired Part 2 of 6

Enjoy... kinda... actually made me feel quite sad.

Also made me think that their living arrangements would be so sensible for people with ME... except I really couldn't live with Blanche!

peace out,

[This Message was Edited on 08/16/2007]
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I used to watch the sitcom, but I don't remember that series.

But, I guess I wouldn't because I wouldn't have related to this kind of thing at that time in my life...too young and too active, healthy!

Thanks for the post.

3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Both the original and the rerun(s). It's not very encouraging as you say, Rafiki, to think how much time has passed and we're still stuck there in many ways.

Even the neurologist I saw recently talked about "sleep hygiene" being a resolution for CFS.

I'm not sure how to win on this one except to make the very best of it we can.

Pollyanna :>(
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

when these episodes were new. (Heck, I remember when Lucy was new.)

Anyway, it wasn't much of an educational experience. Dorothy was only ill for two weeks. How realistic is that?

5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

she was sick for months according to the script if not the air time. She talked about cognitive issues, cardiac issues... a lot was made of how badly she was treated by doctors and she let a neuro have it in a restaurant... I was really quite surprised at how much ground they covered.

Always at least 8 years behind the times, that's me!

6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I'd love to live with Rose! Rose would be such a hoot!

7. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I watched all of the episodes, thanks for posting them. I thought they handled CFS very well. Did you know that the writer for Golden Girls has CFS?

They couldn't keep the character sick with it forever like we are I don't think because they would lose viewers. Well, they'd gain viewers like us of course but after awhile the same scenarios tend to repeat themselves, as we all know, unfortunately.