Golden Girls Episode: Dorothy CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Redshadow, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Redshadow

Redshadow New Member

Anyone remember seeing this (I was 12 when I remember seeing it for the first time and thought, man what a horrible illness hope I never get it) it was a two part episode of the Golden Girls.

Here's a quick synopsis: Dorothy is feeling extremely overtired. She is sure she is ill, but all of the doctors she visits tell her she's fine and that the problem is mental. Meanwhile, Blanche decides to write a romance novel.
    On the second episode Dorothy discovers she has CFS and gets the change to tell off the Doctor who though Dorothy was just making it all up. I found out the creator of the Golden Girls Susan Harris wrote these episodes and also suffers from CFS.

Anyone with CFS should watch these episodes it's fantastic.
    I wish I could recite the speech Dorothy makes at the end to all the nonbelieving Doctors I must deal with!
  2. Redshadow

Redshadow New Member

Ya, too bad we don't live in the sitcom world where things magically go away.
  3. webintrig

webintrig New Member

what Susan Harris is doing now. I hope if she is able she is still trying to promote awareness, but if she isn't now I respect the fact she tried doing it then with these shows!
    Spread the Awareness!

Soft hugs,
  4. Redshadow

Redshadow New Member

It'd be great if she would get the media to promote CFS awareness. We need a celebrity!
  5. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

I really like the Golden Girls! I have the whole first season on DVD. I can relate to the women in the show (Even though I'm 25) becuse CFS sufferers live like the elderly. Maybe that's why Susan Harris was so good at writing for the elderly show!

^_^
  6. Redshadow

Redshadow New Member

Hey gothbubbles!
    Great to see another twenties Golden Girl fan! It is weird how we can relate more to them than to our own age group. I really get frustrated when elderly people say I'm too young to feel old and that I have no idea what old feels like. I wish I didn't but you and I know we do.
    Who's your favorite Golden Girl, I have to say it's a toss up between Blanche and Dorothy :^)
  7. Liz919

Liz919 New Member

I went searching on the internet in hopes of finding a clip of it online or something and instead found out that....It's playing on friday morning on lifetime! If anyone wanted to know it's on Lifetime on Friday Nov. 3 part 1=9:30 part 2=10:00. I have DVR (ie Tivo) so I'm recording it. Just thought somebody else might like to know too. :)
  8. Redshadow

Redshadow New Member

Great work liz919!!
    It's a fantastic 2 part episode, I'm going to record it as well. Is there anyway to post this info like a sticky or something so everyone on the message boards can read it?
    Thanks,
    Bon
  9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

It sort of bothers me that she had CFS for one or two episodes and then didn't continue with it though.

No one's brought up that episode to me, but I think I have a much more difficult time getting people (including myself!) to believe that I'm not going to get all better (at least within a short period of time) than I do with getting people to feel sympathetic for me because I'm feeling bad.
  10. Redshadow

Redshadow New Member

I agree with ya on that! I guess it would conflict with the other stories in the series if Dorothy continued to have CFS. I'm sure Susan Harris still has it and if she doesn't she needs to give us the cure now!
  11. MargaretOB

MargaretOB New Member

I love the Golden Girls and have seen every show about 10 times. I can't afford cable now and I miss it.

I remember her seeing the twit doctor who dismissed her at a restaurant with his wife and she sat down at the table with them, and made her speech, about her illness being real and having a name, and that it was not all in her head or just a question of getting older.

12. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Some viewers may have come away w/ the notion that CFS is something you get over in two weeks.

Of course all the Golden Girls shows were like that. One of them would have serious boyfriend. Then the relationship would break up.

Then a week or two later some other actor would be a serious boyfriend. Miles was about the only one we ever saw more than once.

Same w/ their relatives. The shows were funny but no depth to the scripts at all. And in every single episode somebody made a speech which included the words "always there for me".
  13. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

and I also was thrilled that "Golden Girls" writers had depicted this illness. However, I was also chagrined that 'Dorothy' was 'cured' so rapidly--since that is NOT the case with the 'real thing'!!

In various reports, I've learned that quite a few persons in show business have CFS. The problem with these reports is that there is little follow-up and so, we just don't know how true these reports are and what has been the course of their illnesses. I suppose that celebrities, more than almost anyone, want to keep their real-life struggles hidden from the general public.

In my own life, I've often found it difficult to give and update on my condition to my friends and relatives. Sometimes individuals ask me and then brush aside whatever I reply because they want to believe that we can simply recover from whatever bothers us. So usually I quickly give a summary of what I've learned about myself and let it go at that.

I regret that the programs showing real life issues have mostly given way to a lot of mindless trashy stuff (my old lady's opinion). But most of all, I regret the damage done by media docs who did a lot of damage with disinformation about CFS, such as Dean Adell did for four or five years in the middle of the '80's.

Yep, Redshadow--I miss the "Golden Girls"! And I tremendously appreciated those episodes about CFS. That "Dorothy" inspired me to be forthright and assertive when talking to my doctors.

But fortunately, so far, my doctors have been most supportive and helpful.

With love, Dorothy
  14. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

I agree with you about relating more to older people than people my age. I don't even know what people my age DO for fun. I really don't!

Old people recreation, though, like crochet, bingo, television, well... that's more my speed lol. I'm probably the only 25 year old who gets excited over bingo sunday ($1.99 buffet!)

I play a lot of videogames, so I do still have friends my age, though they're usually considerably less social than I am. I can't affod cable tv, so instead I have a netflix subscription. I've just finished watching the first season of Lost. That show is cool, too!

BAH, off topic. I noticed you said something about games in your profile too, and you're a webdesigner, you have a 1337 career too! Hehe, we seem to have a lot in common! I taught dance for several years (i see you taught aerobics). I forgot the other details we had in common, my brain is mush.

Anyway, it's cool to see how much you like GG, because my friends all think I'm a weirdo ^_^
  15. Redshadow

Redshadow New Member

Hey gothbubbles,
    You're not a weirdo! I believe the Golden Girl show is for the sophisticated viewer ;^) Nothing wrong with that type of recreation, I always get excited if someone will take me out to eat and if there is a Dateline special coming on. That's great you play video games too! There are not many of us women gamers out there. I love the video games because it's always been a great escape for me, you can fly, jump off a plane, be a ninja or ride a unicorn if you want to and you never get tired well except for the achy hands and red eyes. Netflix sounds interesting I only tend to watch a movie if my bro and his wife come over. It's awesome you were a dance teacher, I can hardly do any of the stretches I use to do with the warm up and cool down routines. Don't worry about your brain being mush, I understand I know my husband gets frustrated with me because I have trouble remembering simple things. I am so sorry you are sick, so young too at 25. I know you must feel like you're 90. Do you have a myspace page? I would love to add you :^)
    God Bless ya,
    Bon

16. Redshadow

Redshadow New Member

Hey Linda,
    Thanks! I'm sorry you're sick too!
    But...
    Thank you for being a friend
    Traveled down the road and back again
    Your heart is true your a pal and a confidant.

And if you threw a party
    Invited everyone you ever knew
    You would see the biggest gift would be from me
    And the card attached would say
    thank you for being a friend.
  17. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

Redshadow:
    I have a myspace page, with the name gothbubbles, but I don't use it much. I generally find it hard to keep up conversations. Feel free to add me! I will reply to you better later, right now my hands are stinging so bad typing hurts owieow!