Golf, does anyone here play?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lease79, May 9, 2006.

1. lease79

lease79 New Member

Just wondering if anyone here plays golf? And if so what things do you do to make it easier for you?
    My hubby is an asvid golfer, on a 6 handicap & last years A Grade Club Champion, so as you can see he LOOOOOVES his golf.
    Very VERY rarely I will go out & maybe have a hit for one hole & it has to be one that doesn't involve any hills. This alone exhausts me.
    I can't chip or putt, I'm hopeless at it, but I can drive. Sadly two drives off of the tee & I am STUFFED.
    So to those who play, what do you do to make it a little easier on you, any exercises??
    Seeing all the real oldies out there playing is depressing for me. I am only 26 & they can all still walk the entire course. I can't even walk a couple of holes :(

Lisa
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I can't imagine getting to the golf course let alone actually playing!

That's long ago and far away like many other things now.

Marta
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I sucked at it but my boyfriend at the time loved it. He was happy for me to play "Princess Golf." I would drive and we would pick up my ball and take it to where his landed and I would play from there. No pressure and it was fun. Of course, when he needed a serious game, he played with his buddies.

He and I had a ball just playing, drinking beer, and driving the cart. We played in Bermuda which is all uphill and downhill, really steep hills.

Toward the end, I started taking lessons but I was getting sick. My hands would hurt so bad after my lessons that I could hardly use them. Funny thing is that the golf pro was having the same symptoms. He left a really prestigious golf school to come home and live with his parents. He said the pressure of life was getting to him and he suspected he had FMS.

I still have my clubs and will keep them, along with my skis and tennis racket in hopes that someday, I will be well enough to use them. This morning, I played a little shuffleboard which is more my speed now but had to quit due to the red tide outbreak here along the Gulf in SW FL.

Love, Mikie
  4. berrytired

berrytired New Member

I play and love it...not the greatest either but I just love being outside. Even joined a few tournaments just for fun with hubby and friends. I might as well do it now while I can.
  5. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I used to play 3 times a week and was pretty good. Everybody said I was a natural at it. Never had a lesson in my life. Never did find out what my handicap was, now I know what it is, it is called fibromyalgia.

I have not been able to play since last April because of the pain and am unable to hold onto the club anymore. The last time I played I darn near killed a guy that was on the green next to the Tbox I was in when in my back swing the club went flying out of my hands.

I felt sooooo embarrassed when that happened, I went over and apologized and told him what happened. I couldn't believe that he thought it was funny like it happens all the time to him.

Wish I could play again, that was my main activity during the summer months.

Jake
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Being disabled with CFS, the most I can do now is watch the PGA or LPGA on TV. I might be able to ride around in a golf cart for twenty minutes!

But I used to play competitively, in high school and then in college. I also coached the boys golf team at the high school where I taught, and I'm proud to report that my team won the New Mexico AAAA state tournament in 2004!

I greatly miss being out on the course.

Kholmes

7. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

and then it dropped to just my tuesday rounds with the ladies group.... and then I became bedridden for about a year.... when I finally got back on my feet I tried a few times each year but was no longer strong enough to fully enjoy 18 holes....I took my kids and would play 9 holes occasionally but wound up beside the pool watching them play before the day was over.

I still think that now that I'mm stronger I might could play more....but the boys are at very active ages and I would not want to miss a single one of their sporting activities so I must choose golf for me or watching my boys play....

Watching my boys is much more important for me at this time in my life.

But one day they will be off in college and I will then find time to fit a few rounds of golf back into my schedule again.

8. lease79

lease79 New Member

All for your replies.
    I don't think that I'll be having a hit again soon unfortunately :( Within 24 hours I could barely move & last night I was very VERY sick & sore :(
    Oh well, I'll just have to watch from now on :(
  9. kjfms

kjfms Member

I just like to see how far I can hit that little sucker!!!

Thanks,

Karen