GOOD ADVICE OT

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sues1, Jun 27, 2006.

1. sues1

sues1 New Member

A lecturer, when explaining stress management to an audience, raised a glass of water and asked, "how heavy is this glass of water? "

Answers called out ranged from 20g to 500g.

The lecturer replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long you try to hold it.

"If I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my right arm. If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance. "In each case, it's the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes. "

He continued, "And that's the way it is with stress management. If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as the burden becomes increasingly heavy, we won't be able to carry on.

"As with the glass of water, you have to put it down for a while and rest before holding it again. When we're refreshed, we can carry on with the burden. "

"So, before you return home tonight, put the burden of work down. Don't carry it home. You can pick it up tomorrow. Whatever burdens you're carrying now, let them down for a moment if you can. " "Relax; pick them up later after you've rested. Life is short. Enjoy it!"

And then he shared some ways of dealing with the burdens of life:

* Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.

* Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

* Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.

* Drive carefully. It's not only cars that can be recalled by their maker.

* If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

* If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

* It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

* Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

* Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance.

* Since it's the early worm that gets eaten by the bird, sleep late.

* The second mouse gets the cheese.

* When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

* Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

* You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.

* We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box.

" A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

2. dleaning

dleaning New Member

and it makes a whole lot of sense. I just have a real problem letting things go.

Great post!!!

Dawn
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

How long you had to hold it depended on who was driving the car.
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

and so true!

and --

it is wise to remember that the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence, but it still needs to be cut!

Thanks for posting, it's always a good reminder!
    Victoria

5. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

Your post has really hit the nail on the head for me. When I get "down," as I am now" I need something like this to give me a swift kick. I intend to print this to use as a reference when I need it. Thank you very much. We never know when something we have to say is just perfect for the next one---hence the purpose of this wonderul website. So great.

It is so easy to say "but, but, but." We just have to trust and give others' advice a chance. I find I can't get anywhere with my negative attitude. So from now on I will try to be more positive. Actually, reading your post has given me a lift already.

I am the last one to lecture and I don't mean to do that. I just feel we have to have trust here and open up our minds to the possibility that others' advice might help. Again, many thanks,

Arlene

[This Message was Edited on 06/28/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/28/2006]
  6. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

I love reading your posts. Most of them are right on and you sense of humor is a hoot. We all need to laugh. Please keep it up-----its fun for us.

Fondly,

Arlene
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Tahnks it is great reminder to print out. Love Anne C
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

That was wonderful,

Thanks..

Nancy B
  9. 143alan

143alan New Member

I loved it. Thanks for sharing. I printed it to share with some people at work, and after doing some copy/paste stuff made a neat little poster for my own little cube at work. Thanks for sharing it lifted my day as I get ready for work.
  10. sues1

sues1 New Member

I never expected all the kind words like this. Feels good.

You have all made my day. Thanks...Blessings, Susan