Good article about pain,FM,CF in Newsweek, read this

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kimo, May 13, 2003.

1. kimo

kimo New Member

My mother-in-law gave me the May 19th issue of Newsweek today and the front cover has "Treating PAIN", one of the topics was fibromyalgia, CF and "gulf war syndrome". It reported that FM sufferers , after doing functional MRI scan on normal people and people with fibro, the evidence showed that fibro was real and not "in our heads". Lynne Matallana, the founder of National Fibro Association, has fibro and had gone to 37 docotrs before getting a diagnosis.
    Researchers have now pinpointed genetic variations that may play a role in fibro and companies are racing to provide effective drugs,says Dr. Andrew Hollman, who is testing some promising new drugs.
    Recent tests suggest that people who develop the syndrome start with a genetic predisposition. The disease runs in families, and researchers have identified at least one gene that appears to be involved. But lifestyle and temperament also play a part. Often patients are workaholics who push themselves to the limit, despite years of escalating pain. Then a trigger, a car accident or viral infection-pushes them over the edge and knocks their nervous system out of whack.

( I believe this because my mom has fibro, I do and my daughter shows signs of this. I got it after a nasty virus.) My daughter had a terrible terrible virus a few years ago and hasn't been the same, also in a car accident. She just turned 19.)

The article went on to say that we have 3 times more of a pain-transmitting chemical called substance P in our spinal fluid and too little of the pain-reducing chemicals serotonin and norepinephrine.
    Pfizer is developing a new fibro drug that works, in part, by reducing sunbstance P. Cypress Bioscience is testing another one that boosts pain-suppressing norepinephrine and serotonin. So maybe there is hope out there since more and more people are being diagnosed.....

KIMO