Good book for anyone with gut problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by maps1, Aug 17, 2011.

1. maps1

maps1 Member

The second brain by Michael Gershon

For anyone suffering gut problems this book is very informative, unfortunately there are no real answers.

I found it is re-assuring to know that thier are people out there trying to help. Research is finding out so much about the gut and enteric system.

One thing I did discover is that the enteric system needs serotonin to work properly SSRI's reduce the amount of serononin.

Apparently when you start antisepressants your digestive system goes into overdrive and then after a while it is so worn out that it stops working correctly (my simplification of what the auther said). As far as I understand this is not reversable.

Also parkinson's disease lesions of the brain have also been found in thier enteric system.

So perhaps lesions in the brain caused by LD could also be causing gut problems.

The book was published in 1999 so I have been searching the web to see if i can find more information.

Hoping to find answers to my left side and gut pain that the doctors don't have yet in the research papers. The only option I have right now is to have the nerve permanently frozen - not.
  2. alicat123

alicat123 New Member

learning something new everyday on these boards... i share a similar GI pain as you do. you mention LD, have you been diagnosed with it? if so have you been undergoing treatment? do the gut issues stay the same or have yours improved at all with treatment? (i know you talked about the L side pain)...

3. maps1

maps1 Member

Yes, did get US positive for lyme and babesia, the initial testing with ID doctor showed severe white matter disease plus lots of other things. I have had oral and IV antibiotics for about a year ending in october due to liver enzymes and the fact that my id doc was under investigation and is no longer treating. Although my fatigue is 75% better the left side pain has continually become worse, it seems to be nerve pain.

I have normal bm but extremely slow digestion, i did have a colonoscpy but they could not complete it as the pain in the left side just under the ribs was to much.

Not sure exactly what type of pain you have but mine is now constant but does vary in intensity and i also have stomach contractions - quite bizzare.

I am scheduled for another one under complete sedation so I am hoping it will show something but i do highly recommend the book though as now i will be able to know what they are talking about when they make suggestions.

I need to continue the lyme treatment but I can't until i get rid of this pain.

I still see my CFS doctor on a regular basis (she is also doing research) and is now sending her patients for cognitive testing.

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Down here in God's Waiting Room (FL) they always put people under sedation for colonoscopies. Pain in the left side can indicate diverticulitis.

The PA followup visit was very helpful. If you buy Kellogg's All Bran BUDS (has to be buds and not just all brain) you get 13 grams of fibre in 1/3 cup. Of course, it tastes like cardboard but at only 1/3 cup, you can add it to other cereal or, like I do, add fruit. Thirteen grams is half the day's recommended value for fibre. I've never been so regular and the quality is supurb (sorry, wanted to put it tactfully :)

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  5. maps1

maps1 Member

thats very funny - god's waiting room.

Thank you for the information i am going to get some - don't really care about the taste as my taste buds seem to have suffered along with everything else.

How have you been doing we have both been here a long time - i have been staying away from the boards and trying to get some kind of life going now that i have more energy but it is not that easy making friends. Just going off to enroll in tai chi and sketching classes for the fall, hopefully that will give me some people contact.

Would love to be living in Florida, I used to visit once or twice a year.

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good to see you posting again. I was MIA for the 2 1/2 years I was well enough to work. It seems I now likely have Sjogren's and the fatigue got so that I had to retire. When I was working, I had little energy to do much else. It's good to be able to come here a hear from old friends. Wow! Tai chi and sketching--that sounds like fun. Tai chi is too hard on my knees with the switching of weight while pivoting but I do have some tai chi moves which I can do. I hope you enjoy your classes.

One good thing down here is that, if one lives in a condo village, there are friends and neighbors all around. All I have to do is walk down to get my mail and I usually talk to two or three people. Also, we have the "Cocoon" version of water exercises (before they got so energetic :) I'm supposed to stay out of the sun but am tempted to go over to the pool.

Take care and don't be a stranger.

Love, Mikie