good book on probiotics , any ideas please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tansy, Jun 16, 2003.

1. tansy

tansy New Member

As some board users already know I've agreed to put together some info on easy self help measures for other patients.

I want to add further sources of info, all my literature on probiotics is pretty old now and probably out of print.

Also good books on candida, especially those with an emaphasis on supps as well as diet would be helpful. My GP may accept candida but most doctors in the Uk don't so patients need to know what they can do.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Tansy
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Have you gone to our library and used the search feature for you research? It's a gold mine of info.

Love, Mikie
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Dale

Thanks for that info, have jotted it down and your e-mail address.

Trying to keep this info simple and to the point but with lots of sources of info so people can find what they think will help them. I sincerely believe in those internal bells that go off in our heads.

Delighted to hear of your success with those particular bacteria, recall coming across literature on those some years ago but had not heard of anyone who found they helped. It's good to hear that they do, opens up the options for others.

I know someone with crohns too, have been passing on anything I think is relevant, he checks out stuff on the www etc then chooses what he thinks will help him. He is already improving after 40 years of ill health. He's so delighted he thought he was just in for further decline. but instead he already feeling younger and is more active.

I used to have Leon Chaitow's book; loaned it out but it was never returned. If I find a copy anywhere I will let you know.

Cheers

Tansy

PS talk about a slow brain. After checking out web came across primal defence, remembered it had been used in recent trails for ibs, may even have been by Leon Chaitow. Same microrganisms. Saw more on this yesterday and had already marked it down for further research, you just jolted my brain and got the few brain cells I have jumping around again.[This Message was Edited on 06/17/2003]
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Strange that you should mention the book by Natasha Trenev.
    I just bought her book today, but it is a different title and no coauthor. Here it is;

'Probiotics, Nature's Internal Healters' by Natasha Trenev, published by 'Avery' USA, in 1998.

I cannot comment on it, I just got it a few hours ago.

If the one by her and Leon Chaitow is still around, I will check this week. I am going to a 'used' bookstore we just found in the area.

Also you can check Barns and Nobel for out of print books. If they are available they sell them very cheap on the net.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Shirl

Thanks for letting me know about that one.

If you do get around to reading this book I would love to know what you think of it.

Cheers

Tansy
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

The nutritional doctor I saw was years ahead of his time too but the ultra orthodox doctors considered him a quack.

Candida and other chronic pathogens have been identified as problems for people for so many years now. One wonders what the medical community is afraid of; they have, on the whole, continued to either dismiss them or say that they're not significant. They don't seem to be able to differentiate between those who are asymtomatic and those who are ill.

I do know that doctors in the UK are loathe to prescribe long term, or even any, antibiotics now because so many bacteria strains have become resistant. Yet so many of them don't look for safe alternatives, no money for the drug companies of course so there's little funding for trials on these.

I will now step down off my soap box.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/18/2003]
  7. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Dale,

Thanks so much for that. Glad I found out before trying this group of probiotics out. Hoping it might take care of the areas of my GI tract the current probiotics I'm taking don't seem to be sorting. Would love to really get rid of the candida let alone any other critters that might be lurking there. When my current probiotics run out I will try these, at least I now know which ones not to buy.

WOW I have learnt so much since coming onto this board, the few brain cells I have left are still whirring around but I'm getting there. Things make more sense over time and then a few bits start to fit together.

You were busy on the board yesterday, are you are mentally tired as a result as I was. Trouble with these DDs is that we have the will and motivation it's just that our dammed bodies and brains won't play ball.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/18/2003]
  8. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Dale

The book by Leon Chaitow you couldn't find in the states is available from amazons uk site plus so many more you'll be able to spend quite some time browsing through them. Just go to books, health, then use his name in the search.

"Probiotics, the Revolutionary Friendly Bacteria Way to Vital Health and Well Being" is there and it's dirt cheap.

Don't know what they'll charge for postage though, it's expensive in the UK unless we order over £39 worth of books.

If you get its isdn number a local bookshop might be able to order it for you. They are only charging £3.99 in the UK.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/20/2003]