Good Candidates for Narcotics

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Nov 4, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

I found this tidbit of info in the "Arthritis Today" magazine as I was reading it today (the November-December issue). BTW, this is an excellent magazine to subscribe to!!!

~~~~~~~

GOOD CANDIDATES FOR NARCOTICS

Narcotic pain relievers, such as morphine and oxycodone (Endocet, Oxycotin), have the potential for causing tolerance, in which a patient needs to keep increasing the dose (dose escalation) to find relief.

A study of 206 people with severe, chronic pain from conditions such as arthritis and fibromyalgia shows that dose escalation is more common in people younger than 50.

People older than 60 had less than half the dose escalation, yet reported significant pain relief.

SOURCE: Anesthesia and Analgesia, Vol. 100, No. 6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note: I think the most important fact in this info is that fibro was actually recognized as a severe, chronic pain condition where narcotics have been prescribed!

Just more brain food for everyone!

Janet
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I think I had read that before, but seeing someone list FM along with arthritis as a recognized disease is really encouraging.

Thank you for sharing this.

Sue
  3. Bambi

Bambi New Member

I think though that people over 60 may report better pain control and less increases in meds is because doctors don't like to give higher doses or ANY doses to seniors and to keep getting ANY relief many may report more relief than they are getting rather than risk losing their pain meds.
  4. JLH

JLH New Member