Good docs in WV, OH, or PA?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kimberly236, Apr 23, 2007.

1. kimberly236

kimberly236 New Member

Hi all. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I am VERY frustrated with my current doctor for not being willing to try different things. I've been in this bad relapse so long, you would think he would want to help me out. Grrr.
    Anyway, I live in Parkersburg, WV, on the border of Ohio. Does anyone know any good doctors in WV, OH, or even PA? Ideally they would have experience treating CFS patients, especially those like me with high viral loads. But even to be able to find a good primary care doc who would be wiling to work with me, read things I could bring in, and let me try different things to try to get my life back.
    Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone has any experiences with either the Cleveland or Pittsburgh FFC, could you share those as well?

Thanks a bunch!!
    Kimberly
  2. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

For some time, I flew all the way from Houston to see Dr. Thomas Romano, who was then in Wheeling, but is now just across the border in Ohio.

He is a rheumy and was one of the original rheumys who helped develop the criteria for FM. I do not know if he treats CFS, but I can highly recommend him.

He is Italian from NY or NJ, and talks fast, but LISTENS to his patients. I loved him, but it became too much to commute.

As my doc in Houston says, CFS or FM, more or less versions of the same problem
  3. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I grew up in St. Albans, WV.
  4. kimberly236

kimberly236 New Member

Someone else from Parkersburg! Thanks for the reply. A follow-up question: Is Dr. Adkins willing to listen and experiment with different things to help? I have found that many docs who don't know a lot about CFS just want to hand out mega-doses of anti-depressants.

I have heard great things of Dr. Romano, but I think his focus is on FM, not CFS. Thanks anyway, though.

Please, does anyone else have suggestions?? Surely there must be more good docs in WV or OH!

Thanks,
    Kimberly
  5. Engel

Engel New Member

I grew up in eastern Ohio. I am in Columbus now. You may want to consider Ohio State University Hospital. Someone on here had mentioned good DRs in Cincinnati and also in Akron, Ohio. Maybe if you search under Cincinnati and Akron that info can be found? I understand your frustration ... I am searching also. I did not want to go to Akron or Cincy because it hurts so badly to travel very far/long in a vehicle. But I may have to bite the bullet so to say.
  6. OhWhatPain

OhWhatPain New Member

Wow I didn't think I would be talking to people in my neck of the woods. Speaking of Wood county. I worked at Camden Clark Memorial for 6+ yrs and I live 40 miles down river in Mason, Wv. I know my Doc here in Mason is absolutely wonderful. Never in a hurry. Take time to listen...He is compassionate.. His thought is simple and that is if he believes you, or not...Working in medicine its truly sick what you see on a daily basis of the people who claim to have pain just to get their fix...These are the people that hurt us....I never used the Doctors in Parkersburg so I'm not sure, which doc would be the best for FMS up there, but down here I have a good one
  7. kimberly236

kimberly236 New Member

Thanks for the response. I'm glad you have a good doctor. LIke I said, that is SOOO important. Does your doctor treat CFS also (I have CFS, not FM) or just FM?

Any other good doc recommendations?

Thanks,
    Kimberly