Good Doctor's in Toronto / Ottawa area

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rickj44, Dec 11, 2009.

1. rickj44

rickj44 Member

I live near Kingston but i am willing too go as far as 2 hrs east or west to find a decent Doctor.IF anybody has a Doctor in Toronto area, Ottawa area, that they felt understood this Illness and also did the proper tests to real out other issue's.

Would like too know your experience , i have seen many bad ones looking for one that is not just there for a paycheck.
    Also need to know if u need to be referred by your family Doctor and if any costs are involved.

Thanks
    Rick
  2. rickj44

rickj44 Member

Thanks so much Jean, now that i see her name i remember hearing good things about this Doctor. Do u know if you need a referral from your family Doctor or can i just call her.

Rick
  3. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

you do need a referral. i am not sure how long the waiting list is but there might be a long one.
    i am in toronto.
    best of luck
    sue
  4. rickj44

rickj44 Member

I am not looking forward too a 2 hr drive, especially in the winter, so if i start now, maybe by spring i will get in.
    Thanks
    Rick
  5. rickj44

rickj44 Member

YEARS!! really... Thats long too get to talk to her for 45 mins?? Thats not good.. I have had this illness for 14 yrs, i don't know if i can wait that long.. I will call and see what they say..wonder if it would make any difference if i said i was Mel Gibson.

Rick
  6. rickj44

rickj44 Member

That don't sound very promising.. i would rather just see her.. i would have a 2 hr drive and i would probably not be able to make weekly visits..but i will call anyways to see what they say.
  7. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

rick...if i were you, i would bypass canadian doctors altogether and send your blood to the US yourself and get the necessary tests. your GP can sign off on it...and hopefully, you can pay out-of-pocket.

i am bedbound after almost 18 yrs of this disease and i had to eventually do everything myself. do not count on canadian doctors to help - even bested. if you are lucky, you might find someone to give you the prescriptions for what you need.

i have wasted most of my mother's savings going to american doctors in NYC and michigan and have little to show for all that money and traveling.

if you got this dease after a flu-like illness, the first thing i would do is arrange for XMRV testing at VIP Dx. call them and ask for a test kit.

get some money together any way you can if you dont have it now.

best of luck
    sue
    [This Message was Edited on 12/12/2009]
  8. rickj44

rickj44 Member

I am not new too this, i have already spent alot of money in the 14 yrs trying to deal with this illness, i have been too 22 drs..and some should be picking up garbage for a living as they where just as rude as you can get.. like i am wasting there time.

Going to the USA would not be in the cards for me, i don't even have a passport and money is an issue..as i don't work and my little income is trying to hold on too what i have.
    I also cannot travel very well, as i have problems walking and i have a special bed, because of all the pain involved laying down.

But this XMRV test sounds interesting and i take it it is not available in Canada. Why do we always come in second from the USA. Like look how many years it took Canada to approve Aleve and its not even a prescription, and does nothing for me, like taking candy for pain.

This is such a frustrating illness too have as you all know.. Just a tiny amount of increased energy I notice, because most of the time ,it takes everything i have just too do the simple things..

My legs bother me more then anything, i have had many tests done, but they say its Fibro, but what gets me is what is the fibro doing too the muscles in my legs.
    If i had MS i would know exactly what is going on with the muscles, but fibro i do not know and the ? mark eats away at me wondering if something got missed.
    But i have been through the Drs tests many times.. nerve conduction , muscle biopsy, tested for blood circulation, and nobody can say too me , this is what Fibro is doing to the muscle's in your legs.. I find this so hard to believe.. and i think there is a very smart Dr somewhere in the world that knows.

You would think if there is a chemical imbalance they would be able too see. I did read somewhere is Fibro attacks the parts of the body used the most, and back in 1996 i was walking alot.., in excess of 6 hrs a day, and that was the first sign of something wrong and from that point , i have been walking less each year.. just a slow decine.. now i am down too 10 mins or so, and if i go passed that, i have a good part of a week with alot of discomfort.

I hope we can get this XMRV test in Canada.. we need answers and a cure.

Rick

9. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

rick..i am sorry. you sound like you are in a bad place, too.

did your illness come on after a flu-like illness?

there is some environmental health clinic in ottawa...dr. jennifer armstrong i think. i think she might be a little better than bested but not sure. long waiting list.

sue
    [This Message was Edited on 12/13/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/13/2009]
  10. rickj44

rickj44 Member

There was one year i had the flue very bad... but i felt i did recover from it.. and then a year later this fibro thing started.. in 1995 and i didn't get diagnosed tell 2001.

Thanks
    Rick
  11. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

it would take me a few months to save up, but i could pay for 1/2 .....

sue:)
  12. rickj44

rickj44 Member

What is it your paying 1/2 for ... u mean the test.
    Rick
  13. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i could pay for 1/2 the price of your XMRV test in a few months...

sue:)
  14. rickj44

rickj44 Member

Sue. Thanks for your offer , that is so thoughtful of you, and you really don't even know me, it takes a special person to help others, they don't know, but i just don't know what too do at this time, just a very confusing and frustrating illness too deal with, and this time of year is also so stressful, so i hope the New year is better and i can focus on what i may want to try next.

Merry Christmas Everyone

[This Message was Edited on 12/19/2009]
  15. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

ok..just let me know