Good Fats = Weight Loss, Carbs = Weight Gain

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by jaminhealth, Jan 2, 2014.

1. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

Happened on Dr. David Perlmutter on PBS last night and he confirmed so much I've posted on here....Cholesterol is necessary and especially for brain health and fighting depression.

Good fats are critical and do help with weight loss....Carbs are not necessary and keep people fatter...we can get carbs in some veggies....but over indulging in breads, pasteries, etc.....bad for us.

And if one thinks they are doing themselves good with the low fat/non fat scams, think again, more and more of this stuff and fatter than ever population.

He talked a lot about going gluten free, even if a person doesn't do the tests...I've never tested but do follow a gluten free program as best I can.

Good Fats = Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Avacodo to name a few.....jam
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

Jamin, carbohydrates ARE necessary for a healthily functioning body. They help to provide a person's body with energy. If you don't have enough carbs you can become dehydrated, dizzy, weak, nauseous, and irritable. A person isn't going to get fat eating vegetables. Also, eating small portions of whole grains helps to provide the body with much needed B vitamins. :)
  3. jaminhealth

TL, I'm referring to carbs like breads, donuts, cookies, pasteries, etc. etc...and I believe that is what Dr. Perlmutter was talking about.....and a lot of veggies do have carbs...mostly the starchy veggies.....I do take B vitamins separately. But I do work on avoding the other refined carbs.
  4. jaminhealth

Sanjay Gupta on the radio this morning, talked about GOOD carbs for energy like: veggies, beans and fruits and doing all of these in moderation and watch the fruits.....yes, we do get carbs without the breads, pastas, junk sugars, etc....
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

Unless you have celiac disease, or a medically proven intolerance to gluten, there is nothing wrong with eating bread, pasta, or cereal made with 100% whole grains. In fact, according to Harvard, people who eat two to three servings per day of "whole grains" are less likely to get Type 2 Diabetes or cardiovascular disease. People who eat carbs are not necessarily going to get fat, anymore than someone eating good fat is going to lose weight. It all comes down to portion size and being physically active each day.
  6. jaminhealth

Physically active, what's that? I was that all my life before the wonderful replacement.....

So we all pick and choose and I choose not to eat those processed carbs....jam
  7. jaminhealth

I keep proving how foods do me harm, some days I feel like a bowl of cereal, today it was Kashi Go Lean and a 1/2 cup of granola....both high in CARBS......well, not long after I was zonked with fatigue. For this changing body with AGING, I notice more and more what foods are doing to me.

Eat those carbs at night if one wants better sleep is all I can say. Tomorrow it will be a protein green drink as I've been off them lately, not like this past summer.