Good House Keeping Fibromyalgia article

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deserella, Jun 7, 2008.

1. deserella

deserella Member

I just was at the grocery store thumbing threw the Latest Good Housing Keeping with Julia Roberts on the cover and there was an article on Fibromyalgia in it with an ad for a site called I'm exicted that this illness is getting recognition in a wide read magazine.
  2. kel589

kel589 New Member

thanks for posting .Great news,people are becoming aware about fibrmyalgia,I hope it leads to more research too.kel589
  3. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member, it is a Pfzier website for Lyrica.

The only problem with this is that people that are not in the know, think that Lyrica is a cure all.

I know that it has helped so many but it is not a cure.

4. deserella

deserella Member

I have a friend who has been taking lyrica and had to stop because it was making her sleepy, sometimes sleeping 20 hours a day, and made her gain weight. But like all meds each person responds to them differently.
  5. Didoe

Didoe New Member

boy this website got me P.O'd and thank you deserella for posting this. it's not enough to be dismissed with FM by ignorant family, friends and employers (disability is a whole other conversation) who look at you and think, 'seems okay to me' or 'i'm also 'fatigued' and depressed sometimes...' etc etc.

We have professional pharmaceutical companies putting up a website like this where interested persons are asked to 'click here for further information, with the udnerstanding you will receive, further information' meaning you're going to get spammed with Lyrica information.

But the cherry on top was reading that "exercise, good diet,meditation or learning better how to handle w/stress" along with medication (and that presumeably would be Lyrica? because they note the medication is NOT an antidepressant)is the 'new' research developed in dealing with fibromyalgia.

Once again, its a campaign of saying very little about something patients already know is a huge problem to live with, all packaged up to sound like they've discovered something, to sell a drug that doesnt do much .

Does anyone knows exactly what Lyrica is targeted for--I've only read vague information meant to read well and look good.

Those commercials with whiney white females make me ashamed to say I have FM.

Is it a pain med? It claims not to be an AD, is it another type of psych med?...anti-inflammatory?

6. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

As I understand it, Lyrica is like Neurontin which is an anti-seizure med. Interestingly, I've only read that CFS causes seizure-like activity in the brain, not FMS. So far, it seems to me that people with CFS have problems with Lyrica but it does seem to help some who have FMS.