Good Mattress Needed - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Crickie, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Crickie

Crickie New Member

Have had FM for 10 years and now need a new mattress - can't take it anymore....the mattress is worn out and so am I! Luck with any particular name brands?
  2. SolSerenade

SolSerenade New Member

thank god, the govt. gave me one, full mattress and base-support, and I use a Tempurpedic pillow as well ...... and they are **fabulous!!!
  3. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

water bed and I didn't think I would ever say that. I've had my wave less for about 20 years but I just don't think I get enough support from it anymore. I also weigh 50 pounds more than I did when we got it too.

Just don't know when we can afford a new bed though--and I not wild on the idea of getting a used one
  4. aftermath

aftermath New Member

I have a Select Comfort which I like a lot.

Still, the whole setup is made by the very inexpensive memory foam topper I picked up from Overstock.

It tremendously improves any bed!
  5. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i just spent 2 weeks at a hotel that had a sleep number bed. i totally fell in love with it. i slept like a log (i set it to the firmest level). i'm sure the fancy sheets, pillow top, and memory foam pillows helped too.

i have been thinking of trying to reproduce the situation at home but can't really afford it right now.... did you manage to get the govt to pay for your bed?

6. loto

loto Member

Just last week my mother got me a memory foam topper for my existing mattress. So grateful she gave it to me! I don't know the brand, but, knowing my mom, it wasn't a cheap one. Anyway, maybe trying the foam topper would be a start, lot cheaper than a good mattress. I do sleep much better than I did before i got it. I still wake up stiff, but have less neck pain than i used to. Someday I'd like to get the sleep number bed, but this topper was a good start till i can afford a whole new bed!!!
  7. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I highly recommend the Kingsdown "Indulgence" mattress.

We got one in king size about a month ago and it is sooooo comfortable.

It is extremely well made and sturdy, but has a very soft, velvety, squishy top. It is like sleeping on a marshmallow cloud. It was worth the money.
  8. SolSerenade

SolSerenade New Member

in NC, an agency called Independent Living (which, i think, SSDI office hooked me up with). They assess your situation and do home modifications for the disabled.

things like wheelchair ramps, kitchen mods, bathroom stuff, and oddly enough, a full mattress set as well. Also, wheelchair and lift for truck.
  9. twitch_64

twitch_64 New Member

I had a water bed for the first 10 years of my marriage. I hated it. The only good part about it was the warmth. We got it because of my scoliosis.

At the end of my marriage, we had gotten a 4 inch memory foam mattress topper, omg, that was the best! He got the mattress topper in the divorce, and I was able to find a thinner one at Walmart, about 90 bucks for a queen size 2" pad. It's not as good as the thicker one, but if you are stuck with a traditional mattress for right now it does help.

I intend to get a memory foam mattress in the future, then put a lambswool mattress pad on top of that. (it helps with cooling in summer and heat in winter.) I may even keep using the 2" memory topper with the new mattress for extra thickness.

You know, I wonder if the Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation would supply me with a new mattress set? I've been working with them for awhile now...

Does anyone know, do they make a split queen box spring? I could access a much larger and fitting bedroom if I had a split queen box spring. The doorway to this house's stairway is too short to get anything but a full size mattress set up the stairs. A memory foam mattress should be able to bend to fit through.
  10. hannahfaid

hannahfaid New Member

How long have you had your kingsdown?? I have a little hole in mine where I sleep.. Even when I try to sleep on the other side I end up in the "hole" I have been sleeping in .. "My Side "
    Im wondering if this has a sagging tendency or if I just need to move around the bed.. I have read some bad reviews, after the fact of course :)
  11. terramac

terramac New Member

I have been through 3 beds, trying to find one I could sleep in. I always ended up back in the recliner with pillows. (1 of those bed's was a kingsdown, and it sagged also). We now have had our Select Comfort Sleep Number for 4 years. I LOVE THIS BED. I could finally sleep with my husband again. I actually sleep with it very soft (25-30) and it has 2" memory foam on the top. I honestly cant sleep on anything else.
  12. paulac7

paulac7 Member

Yes they do make a split queen box spring--I have one. The only drawback is that you have 2 sheets to change on the box instead of one. Over the past few years, though, I have gotten lazy and don't even bother to put a sheet on the darn thing--when I make yet *another* quilt for that bed, I make sure to make it large enough to hang down enough to cover the 'naked' box spring--one of my quickie housekeeping tips.

Eventually I'm gonna make a platform bed frame, and chuck the box spring altogether, and keep the mattress. It's a Sealy Posturepedic extra firm, and it's about 10 years old and I still love it.

Hope this helps.............

13. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

absolutely love my waterbed, someone convinced that a regular mattress would be better, so I bought an expensive mattress, gave myself a year to get used it, then sold it and went back to the waterbed. Love it, king size, warm, can stretch out. I never sleep well, but at least I'm comfortable.

Sue in Ontario