"Good Morning America"Had Dr. using Chemo for lupus,

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by claudiaw, Apr 10, 2006.

1. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

MS and RA,no mention of FM. They have about 50% sucess rate of using chemo and then replacing body with your own healthy new stem cells.

Lady with Ms and another w/Lupus both free of symptom's for several yrs. now.

Maybe they are geting closer to find help for FM/CFS.
    I know some doctor's say FM/CFS is autoimmune some say no.

This treatment is for autoimmune diseases only. It was interesting.

Claudia
  2. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

While I never want to do it again, I was on chemo in 2003 for breast cancer. I took a 3 drug cocktail for treatments. Going into treatment, I had considerable fatigue and weakness. Going on a walk was out of the question and had been for many years. A few days after the first treatment the fatigue was gone, as far as I could tell. I didn't necessarily try to hike or run or anything, but I could go for walks.

Don't get me wrong. The chemo caused some horrible problems. And when I started radiation, I developed terrible pain, including bladder and pelvic pain. But I must say that the SYMPTOM of fatigue and weakness was gone for a considerable time. probably about a year. I have always felt that CFS is a result of a hyperactive immune system. My experience supported this. Diane
  3. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

if our own stem cells could help those of us with FM/CFS.
    Maybe so if they can prove that these DD's are an Autoimmune disease. Thanks for the info!!

Laura
  4. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I thought it was an interesting concept.

Chemo is very drastic, but that just goes to show how desperate many become when faced with a chronic painful condition.

Both patient's said it was worth it to them, even if thier symptoms return.

They are grateful for the relief they have had.

I would hope there would be a less aggressive treatment in the future for all diseases.

But this may be an option for some, the firstnew treatment in 40 yrs.( for lupus).

Take care,

Claudia
  5. darude

darude New Member

On another show it was for all people with an Autoimmune disease. I hava a postive ANA so I was wondering.
  6. futurehope

futurehope New Member

I have never heard of this.

I do know that they use chemo on patients with lupus when it attacks their kidneys.
  7. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I was a low positive on the ANA test.

many FM patient's test positive for this. I have heard it is not very reliable, as many factor's can result in a positive result.

Virus's and even women who have been pregnant ( which is a lot:!)can have a false positive.

My rhuemy say's they go on other symptom's and repeat test's for lupus diagnosis.

Seem's nothing is cut and dry or simple.

Best wishes,

Claudia
  8. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

I went to the good Morning America website and watched the video about this yesterday. I really think it has potential for us in the years ahead.
    I wanted others to see this post, Thanks again.

Laura
  9. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Claudia:
    I write to a gal daily who gets chemo for RA. Was I ever suprised. I had no idea it was used as a treatment for that particular disease.

n.f.
  10. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I had heard of it for RA, but not lupus.

It is a very extreme way to go, it show's the desperation of people in chronic pain and what some of them/us will do for relief.

I myself would not choose chemo, as Stormyskye said it is poisionous and causes more deaths than the cancer.

I hope with this research it may at least help us understand what is going on w/our bodies and open up safer option's for treatment.

Best wishes,

Claudia
  11. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

The lady that does my hair- well her mother-in-law's doc put her on chemo and she died!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She had fibro and was in so much pain they tried everything that they thought chemo- she got so sick was in bad pain before she died. IT DIDNOT WORK!!! When they put her on it she died real fast.....

Melinda
  12. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

your mil hairlady-had dhemo done for her fibro only and she had no known cancers? is that what i read?

i do not want to have to get chemo to make it on this earth for fibro, something that doesn not shorten our life span already......

cancer then i would consider it but fibro....i will let the guinea pigs figure it out for me first....

j
  13. FM58

FM58 New Member

Hi All,

I watched the GMA segment & then went to the GMA website & re-watched it again.

The whole point of this treatment is to gather the patient's own Stem Cells first. Next the Lupus patient undergoes a 2 month of chemo (that was really down-played). Then the patient receives his/her own Stem Cells. The target of the research is on the Stem Cells.

50% of the initial 50 research patients from 5 years ago are now still symptom free. There was no mention to what happened to the other 50%. So, who knows what kind of condition they are in.

This was summed up by saying "this may be the first new treatment for Lupus in 40 years."

The doctor doing the study is Richard Burt MD at NorthWestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago. You can go to the GMA website to watch the video clip. He is targeting Lupus, however claims this will work for other autoimmune disorders also. One of the patient testimonials came frome a woman w/ RA.

Well, 50% success rate does not sound terrific, but apparently this is a very promising treatment for Lupus patients. If I had Lupus, I would seriously look into it, I would want to know what to other big-wigs in the Lupus field have to think about it. Anyone see Dr. Wallace in LA?

Patty
  14. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I think this is what you wanted.

best wishes,

Claudia