Good morning everyone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monet61, Jul 31, 2006.

1. monet61

monet61 New Member

I've been around for some time and just posted a bit here and there. Thought I'd make a quick intro.

I'm Jo and I live in the northeast. I'm 44 and was dx with Fibro a few years ago. Until that time I was very slim and fit, heading off to the gym 5 days a week. I thought I kept getting some sort of flu and the symptoms became more and more frequent. I got with my doc, did all the requisite tests and got the fibro diagnosis.
    I had been under severe stress for years, divorce, working full time, taking care of my double amputee dad for 5 years before he passed, sold my house, moved 2x, college part time and raising 2 sons alone. I guess it was just cumulative and it all finally hit me like a ton of bricks.

I am most definitely a hyper-sensitive (always have been) as some other folks have mentioned here.

In the years since diagnosis, I've unfortunately become much more inactive, gained a lot of weight, developed an obsession with sugar, dealt with a good bit of depression etc. I've been caring now for the past 2.5 years for my elderly mother with Alzheimers and just this past month left my job of 16 years to make some major life changes.

I'm relocating to Central California over the next few months as I just can't handle the climate in the Northeast, between the cold winters, the humid summers and the lack of quality sunshine. Mum will be going to assisted living in California close to me.

Since I left my job I am noticing positive changes. My appetite has lessened (I was doing a lot of stress eating) and I am able to get out for some exercise a few times a week. I still hurt tho and my body isn't used to much activity so I'm trying to ease it back into more use.

I'm trying to use more organic foods and trying to minimize my sugar consumption. I cut caffeine waaaay back and did see a number of positive improvements on many fronts as a result. Less nerves, deeper breathing, less frequent flareups, less pms.

Stress levels are still quite high and will continue to be for some time, but my Doc said the California move will be very good for me both physically and emotionally and I believe him.

I do no take any meds other than 1/2 Xanax at night which is very effective for me in inducing sound sleep.

I do take vitamins, a "whole foods" supplement that I find to be good, flax and fish oil, extra C, kyolic garlic, Viactiv chews for calcium and magnesium (both at night with a cup of decaf tea before bed).

Just thought I'd share my story.
    Sending you all good thoughts,
    Jo
  2. onlythestrong

onlythestrong New Member

It sounds like your making all the right moves, I hope you have a much happier life in California.
    Good luck to you and keep in touch,
    Your fibro sis,
    Mary
  3. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Your life sounds a bit like mine used to be. I was completely overwhelmed with stress and stressful situations. After pushing myself as far as I could possibly go, I crashed and in the year 2000 left the workforce.

Though it saddened me to leave my career behind, it made a huge difference to my quality of life. My stress level was reduced and with the time and resources to take care of myself, I began to feel a measure of peace. Now I take it day-by-day, some good some bad but overall, I'm in a much better place.

The changes you are making in your life sound positive and will hopefully lead you to a better place.

I look forward to reading your posts and getting to know you better.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa