Good News....for a change

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnnetClo, Jan 29, 2003.

1. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I know I haven't been posting much lately, but I have been like a walking dead person. The pain has been horrible and with me 24/7. But I started seeing a new doc a few weeks ago (recommended by Ness....thank you SOOOO much) and he has been wonderful. On the first visit he started conservatively with Elavil, Darvocet and Bextra. I tried them for about a week with almost no relief so I called the office to tell them and the nurse made an appointment for me to come back in.... the next day!! I told him that I was so miserable and that I had gotten no relief. Without a question, he said, well let's try something else. He kept me on the Elavil, stopped the Bextra and Darvocet and gave me Skelaxin 400 mg 3 X daily and Percocet 7.5/325 i or 2 every 6 hours. I knew I didn't remember hearing anyone here say they were on Percocet for the primary pain so I asked him if Percocet was something you could take for an extended period of time. He said no that docs usually didn't order it routinely but if it helped then we were going to give it a try. I took 2 the first night along with the Skelaxing and found it was a little too much. I felt so looped. So now I take 1 Percocet 4 times a day and it's WORKING!!! I had forgotten how it felt like to feel human. I can actually function! I did overdo the first weekend with cleaning since I felt so good and my house was so dirty. Of course, I paid for it for several days afterwards, but I used a lot of ice, a lot of hot baths and rice socks until the pain calmed down. I am so excited. I don't know how long I can take the Percocet (does anyone have any experience with this) but for down I am so thankful. And maybe now I can do more that just read the posts here every day. I can start "talking". Lol, and when I start talking I'm hard to shut up so be prepared. Thanks so much to all of you who have been encouraging. You don't know how much I've appreciated it.

(((((hugs))))
    Annette
  2. Elvira

Elvira New Member

This is the first doc I've seen who has given me anything strong enough to help with my pain, although we still don't have my meds right yet. I go back next Tuesday to discuss with him. He really is a kind and compassionate doctor, though, which is so rare to find. I'm glad that you are doing so much better! So, do you live in Charlotte, too?

Hugs,
    Anita
    [This Message was Edited on 02/03/2003]
  3. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I am so glad to hear your doing better, are at least able to function. Nothing more exciting is there.
    About the percocet. It is a step above the darvaset and I have been prescribed the darvaset for the past three years. I use it sparingly and only when I over due it, doesn't help much but all she likes to prescribe to me. I wouldn't worry too much about how long you can use it as long as you do it as directed by the Doc.
    I'm real happy for you and your better days so far.
    Joannie
  4. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I think I'll take your advice and not worry about the Percocet and just enjoy feeling better. I take 1 in the morning, 1 about 3 and 2 at bedtime. Can't take 2 during the day...I would be snoozing at my desk. But with the Skelaxin and the 2 Percocet and Elavil at night at least I'm not awake a dozen times. I am still tired in the mornings and a little stiff but it is so much better that I'm thrilled. Haven't tried the Soma so I can't say about that. But I have a question, (not that I'm anticipating trouble) but do you find that after you take a med for a while that it stops working for you? I'm sure it does, but I hope this works for a long while. I hate the experimenting to find the right combo. But if I could have one wish it would be that all of us could find the right combo and feel more like functioning humans and less like the walking dead!

((((hugs))))
    Annette
  5. Elvira

Elvira New Member

We moved to Charlotte a year ago from Florida. It was even more crowded and had more crime than Charlotte does and we had been wanting to get out of there for a long time. I too would love to live in a more rural area, but we have to stay put because of our jobs. With this darned fibro I can't handle a long commute to work anymore, otherwise, I'd move us out from this area. I had a 45 - 50 min. commute in FL and it was just killing me.

I am sorry to hear of your hubby's health problems as well. Makes it hard when both spouses have health issues to deal with. I hope that you continue to feel better! Maybe we can all meet up one day. Might be fun to have a group lunch!

Hugs,
    Anita
    [This Message was Edited on 02/03/2003]
  6. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I really trust this doc and I am sure he wouldn't prescribe something I shouldn't take but still I like to at least know a little about my care. Although, I have felt so bad, so exhausted and so drained for such a long time that I would have gladly crawled into bed some days and turned my entire life over to the first stranger who walked by. Feels good to feel more like "me".

((((hugs))))
    Annette
  7. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I knew exactly what you meant!!