Good news! I think...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Saoirse3, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

I went to my spine doctor today, and THIS time, got the "REAL Elvis" and not an impersonator. If you read my post from about two weeks ago, his assistant kept patting me on the head and saying I was "so cute and funny", like I was a baby panda.

He agreed with me, that the neurostimulator was a very good idea! And sweet baby back ribs, he knew all about my liver issues, the low platelets and talked to me like I was an intelligent human being! I told him that I researched EVERYTHING to do with my medical issues and he was pleased as punch and said that was a very GOOD thing! Finally! A doctor who isn't intimidated by a patient who actually knows something! Perhaps because he spent 27 years as a spine surgeon in TN before moving back to Alaska.

I have to be in the hospital for two weeks. First, we do daily infusions to see how fast my spleen chews them up and we make SURE there will be enough on hand for me. Then we do a trial stim. If it works and there are no complications, then we go for permanent. I like his honesty and the fact that we went over everything. He didn't just grab my insurance cards and say "Hop on the table!" Nor did he make any promises. This will help my lower back issues. I'll still have neck and knees to deal with, as well as I am sure this DD has some back up plan in it's evil little mind. But to have even the hope of LESS pain, maybe doing a few more things than I used to. THAT would be so wonderful. But like everything else, I want to be practical and not get my hopes so high they come crashing down. But for the moment I am optimistic!

Soft hugs,
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hope your optimism is well founded. New doc sounds very promising.
    I admire people who have the energy and discipline to do the research
    on our many medical issues.

PS. If you think this guy is the real Elvis, you might want to do some
    research on that. I recently read that Elvis and Amelia Earhart are
    living over a laundromat in Eastbrain, Oregon.
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm very glad you have a knowledgable, kind doctor - very hard to find! and one who isn't threatened by a knowledgable patient - even harder to find!

I didn't see your earlier post - what is a neurostimulator and what does it do?

What are the dailyl infusions for your spleen to chew up?

And if you covered this all in an old post, may be you could just post the link? It sounds interesting but I can't tell what you're talking about here.

Re your liver - I don't know anything about your issues here, you probably have done all the research, but am just wondering if any of your meds created this problem as it seems to be a very common side effect of many meds. Also have you tried milk thistle? It is can actually help heal liver damage and detoxify it. But again, this is probably all old news for you.

Good luck with all of this!

Best wishes,

4. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

then yes, he would be the one! He's so nice! They just got a new O-ring, 3D micro-something at the hospital, and there is a commercial on our local channels, showing a smiling Dr. H doing surgery. Everyone is smiling, even the patient is smiling. To hear the locals talk, you would think the Space Shuttle just landed with the Hubble Telescope attached and the Wizard of Oz popped out of the hatch! LOL!

Soft hugs,
  5. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

Hey, Rock, I could have sworn Elvis ran the Iditarod last year and was teaming with Amy Winehouse and Michael Jackson up in Eek, AK. I'm sure the Supermarket Rag would NEVER lie...
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And good for your doc. I love a doc who loves patients who are involved. Best of luck to you and, please, keep us updated.

Love, Mikie
  7. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

much like an internal TENS unit. A tiny set of electrodes is implanted in your spinal canal through a small incision in your abdomen. These are connected to a tiny controller transmitter that looks much like a diabetic glucose meter or an iPod nano. You can then send an electronic impulse to your spinal column, like a synthetic neurostimulator. This, in turn, alters the "pain signals" that are telling your brain that it REALLY hurts. Your controller tells the transmitters just how much of a jolt you need, and you learn how to control it, so you don't rocket yourself to the Space Station. There are a number of different companies that make them.

When your liver is damaged and your spleen is enlarged, like mine, your spleen chews up platelets faster than a grizzly in a salmon stream. When that happens, you can and most likely will develop a low platelet count. This can be very bad because platelets clot your blood, and if you cut yourself on a kitchen knife or fall on your face on the ice, you could bleed to death in a matter of minutes. That makes you a really high risk for surgery. So, to make sure this doesn't happen, I need to have platelet infusions. A normal platelet count is between 150 and 500. Mine is 54, but that's actually up from 29 just 6 months ago. Thank you, Ayurvedic supplements! I take a supplement called Liv52 and it has been a godsend. Even better than milk thistle and dandelion root. And every 3 months I do a liver cleanse. My PCP says it's a waste of time and money. But I'm still here, aren't I? (wicked grin).

Offhand, I would say the combination of Oxycodone (6 pills a day at 10/650, the highest dose you can get), Cymbalta, Vioxx, Avandia and a few more that were taken off the market made me desperately ill. The pharmaceutical companies would vehemently deny this, but they don't really care who they kill, as long as they make money. I once put my complete trust in my doctors. Not any more. I put my faith in Google and research of my own health issues. I'm not bitter any more, I've gotten past that and I know what I have to do.

Thanks so much for the encouragement! It means so much to have all of you in my corner! Wish you could all come over for a big salmon cookout!

Soft hugs,
  8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Wow - thanks for all the info. Whew! You have a lot going on, and I'm really glad you're doing the liver cleanse, etc. I completely agree - we cannot rely on our doctors. Sometimes they can help but ultimately we have to educate ourselves and take responsibility for our own health as much as possible. The Liv52 sounds good - I wonder if you could take milk thistle with it as well? Though you don't want to overload your liver with supps, of course.

Also, n-acetyl-cysteine is supposed to be very good for detoxing the liver too. And lemon juice helps as well.

I would love to come over for a salmon cookout!

Good luck with all this - take care-