good non fic book voted #1 by "Goodmoring America"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rene, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

This book called The Story of MY Life An Afghan Girl On the Other Side of the SKY
    by Farah Ahmedi is one of the best I've ever read.

She is 17 now in America but I can't believe all she went through and she never quits or feels sorry for herself. It is so inspiring and lets you see what its like to come to America.

She lost her leg when she is 12 and that isn't even a big deal to her. She goes through so much more. I can't even explain it!

Anyway she only had a 2nd grade education and went to America speaking no English entering in the 9th grade and now Harvard and Yale want her.
    Its a kinda small book and I couldn't put it down till 4am!
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

it sounds like a book that would help you appreciate what you already have. Hope to check it out!
  3. Rene

Rene New Member

yea or be thankful for what you don't have. Like land mines and mud huts ect. Its still really hard though when she get to Chicago and you'd think huh? But its hard in America but she doesn"t complain and never gives up. Shes only 17! Then she has to take care of her mom as her children are killed and lost her husband too and home and then she can't see her little bit of family anymore.

Her mom gets very depressed and the girl needs SOMEONE as she went through it too and she has to be a mom to her mom and she is only 12 yrs old! But hard to find when you don't speak the language and everyone already has friends and she has a fake leg so she is disabled.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/26/2005]