Good old fashioned nose drops - - -where to find them ??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Granniluvsu, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

It seems little by little they are taking awaya athe good old stuff. I can't even find nose drops any more that are much better for you and your nose. Everything now is the spray and most 12 hours. You really aren't supposed to take them more than a few days , if you really need them.

I went on line and just got confused. May do a search again. May have to try Walgreens. CVS is the last place I had gottenthem from and no more at least at that CVS.

Any ideas please send on. Grrrrr I am so aggravated.

Love,
    Granni
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The salt water sprays are the best but not if they contain any preservative. I make my own with sterile water and Himalayan Sea Salt. If anyone uses one of those little Netti pots to flush out the sinuses, be sure to boil the water first. A man died from Legionaire's Disease from using hot tap water.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Yes, I know that the saline solutions are very good too. I don't need drops often but actually this time it was for DH. Sometimes also you need a little stronger than saline. They are so much better than sprays and can the cmount controlled better.

I used to use the Neo Synephrine ( I forget the dosage or strength) but it was not very strong and sometimes just a drop or two in the nostril of choice occasionally.

I also have a Neti Pot that I may try again one of these days. For me someitmes it just seems like a production and I am to tired and lazy to do it. I guess one never knows what is in tap water these days.

Thanks for the idea, Mikie. I do have saline solution and it is good to heal the tissues and moisten them. Right now my nose is running like crazy since I have been taking the Mucinex DM. Normally my nose rarely runs at all. I am just getting rid of all the gunk !!! DH was moaning and groaning the other day
    when his nose was stuffed up :)!!

The pharmacist in CVS did mention the other day when she was trying to help that you can use the sprayer as a dropper - to hold the bottle upside down and drop in drops as you would with a dropper. You can trol it more but most of the 12 hr sprays are pretty strong I think. Everything has to be immediate nowadates you know :)!!! At least most people seem to think so, or mostly the younger ones !!

Hugz,
    Granni
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I use the Neo-Synephrine when I have headaches. I take my acetaminophen and put a snort up each nostril. I don't need to do this often but this is my magic solution. I have a steroidal spray if it feels as though the sinuses are completely swollen shut. Better to use it than to get sinusitis.

We have some of the cleanest air here because we have water on three sides and lots of breezes but those breezes can blow dust, mold, Red Tide and pollen our way. I have an electronic air cleaner for inside.

Good luck to you. I have found that the sea salt, which is naturally dried and not processed, works soooo much better than table salt. I bought Dr. Mercola's pink Himalayan sea salt because he claims it is the highest in trace minerals, including boron, which is excellent for the bones. It tastes better too. It was very inexpensive.

Love, Mikie
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Mikie - Did you say that you use the sea salt for your nasal spray? If so, how much do you use? And if so, what do you use to put it in your nostrils - Do you use it with the neti pot or what?

TTYL !

Love,
    Granni
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, I put a pinch of the sea salt in some sterile water on a regular spoon and put the spoon up to each nostril. I just snort it up out of the spoon. Then, I tilt my head forward and sniff to get it up into the sinus areas. Doing it this way means I don't have to store the solution. It is always fresh and clean. Sea salt doesn't burn so it's not that big a deal over how much salt to use. I just put a pinch in the water.

Love, Mikie
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Now, all I have to do is get some sea salt. Do you just boiled a bunch of water ahead of time and store it in a sealed bottle or jar?

Love,
    Granni
  8. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

on line in Walgreens. Not sure if the off line stores have it. Unfortunatly, it is 1% which is probably as strong as most of the sprays not sure. I used to get the 1/4 - 1/2 %, years ago. I may have to go to the children's nose drops "Little Noses" or whatever they call it , one of these days :)!!!

Hugz,
    Granni
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can buy sterile bottled water at the grocery store cheaply.

Love, Mikie
  10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Yes I have seen and bought sterile bottled water before at the grocery store.

Hope all is well with you.

Blessings,
    Granni
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hope all is well with you. I'm still getting over that one dose of lorazepam which made me so sick. I feel almost as though it "hurt" my brain which is still recovering from the head injury. I have had headaches since taking it. I thought of you as I took my acetaminophen and Neo-Senephrine when I got up. I don't know why the nose spray helps all kinds of headaches for me but it does.

Love, Mikie