Good over the counter sleep aids, anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shalimac, Dec 10, 2005.

1. shalimac

shalimac New Member

I am trying to find a really strong & effective sleep aid that does not require a prescription. I find that benadryl doesn't work. Can anyone reccomend the best? Need sleep, and ambien allowed by insurance is not enough.
  2. shalimac

shalimac New Member

I'm going to give your suggestion a try.

:)
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I have always had problems sleeping and now take Lunesta due to FMS, but before then, my dad who's a retired physician says that anti-nausea pills are the safest sleeping inducing aid he knows.

I use to take 2 50 mg at night. At first you feel a little groggy in the mornings but then that goes away.

Good luck and see if you insurance company will cover lunesta.

Eileen.
  4. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I use Valerian root when I have trouble sleeping. It does help me a great deal, although not a miracle, it really does help me sleep better...without any groggy drug side effect.
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

and I get a good few hours sleep with it.

I also take 3mg melatonin and ZMA, from Prohealth shop which I think help but its the antihistamine thats helping most.

love
    Rosie
  6. athome

athome New Member

/after 15 months of excruciating nerve pain requiring me to be awake at all hours putting ice paks on my head, I have had to re-establish good sleeping patterns, which have been key to managing my CFS/FM.

I usually have a hot bath before bed, and try hard to limit exciting TV after 10pm. After all, do I have to track the latest tragedy or know the breaking weather news when I don't have to leave the house tomorrow morning?

Then I started following Dr. Rodger Murphree's protocol for sleep, from TREATING AND BEATING FM & CFS--- 25 mg of Trazadone (generic Desyrel) two out of three nights (i.e.,2 nights I take it, then one night off) and 50 to 150mg of 5-HTP.

I also follow I-forget-which-doc's reccommendation: waking in night repeatedly for bathroom? Don't get up right awy. If I still have to go in 10 minutes, then I get up and get to bathroom in as low light as possible, with slippers and robe to STAY warm! This helps me get back to sleep. If I chill myself or turn on the lights by my bed, I'm liable to keep myself awake and reading, LOL!

I have used an herbal combo w/ valerian occasionally, but find the results uneven.

Doing this, and my doubled-over Cuddle Ewe, provide pretty good sleep except during the full moon.