Good Visit With Rheumy Today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

All y'all who know me know that I have not been a big fan of rheumies for treating FMS despite the fact that they are usually good at diagnosing it.

Well, today, my rheumy was very interested in all the things I am doing to heal. He was so impressed that since the Guai, I seldom need pain meds, especially the Morphine. Even though he was the one who initially prescribed the Guai, he wouldn't look at Dr. St. Amand's book and didn't want to discuss the Guai treatment with me. I guess seeing the positive results has intrigued him.

He was very curious about mycoplasmas and the Doxycycline. When I first started seeing him, he didn't believe in chronic mycoplasma infection. Today, he was asking all kinds of questions about testing and Dr. Nicolson's work.

He was impressed with my weight loss and the integrated approach I am taking toward healing, including the hypnotherapy, Tai Chi, and Yoga, as well as my physical therapy.

He loves the ProHealth brochures and said the patients love them too. I'm dropping off another stack for him next week.

I'm sure it's gratifying for a doc to see someone with FMS making progress. I have told him that someday he is going to be able to tell his other patients that he has a patient with CFS/FMS who got well.

Love, Mikie

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

All y'all who know me know that I have not been a big fan of rheumies for treating FMS despite the fact that they are usually good at diagnosing it.

Well, today, my rheumy was very interested in all the things I am doing to heal. He was so impressed that since the Guai, I seldom need pain meds, especially the Morphine. Even though he was the one who initially prescribed the Guai, he wouldn't look at Dr. St. Amand's book and didn't want to discuss the Guai treatment with me. I guess seeing the positive results has intrigued him.

He was very curious about mycoplasmas and the Doxycycline. When I first started seeing him, he didn't believe in chronic mycoplasma infection. Today, he was asking all kinds of questions about testing and Dr. Nicolson's work.

He was impressed with my weight loss and the integrated approach I am taking toward healing, including the hypnotherapy, Tai Chi, and Yoga, as well as my physical therapy.

He loves the ProHealth brochures and said the patients love them too. I'm dropping off another stack for him next week.

I'm sure it's gratifying for a doc to see someone with FMS making progress. I have told him that someday he is going to be able to tell his other patients that he has a patient with CFS/FMS who got well.

Love, Mikie

3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Doesn't it feel good to have a doctor really listen to you, and actually learn from you? Hopefully other patients of his may benefit from what you had to share with him. And it's great you are feeling so good! Nice to see that the combination you have found is working for you!

Big Hugs,
    Pam

4. selma

selma New Member

Fibrofog here! Soooo thrilled that your knowledge and expreience were acknowledged and validated. Here's praying that you continue to feel better and better.

Love and huggs, Selma
  5. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

that you have a great doctor who is understanding and interested in trying different treaments.
    There aren't many doctors out there like this. (Or at least I haven't found any yet).
    Anytime I bring up the suggestion of different treatments
    or interesting info I have found from this web site, I have to contend with a smirk and a sarcastic reply to "keep looking on the internet and maybe one day I will find a cure".
    Good going Mikie, you are an inspiration to us all.......

Love,
    HOB
  6. Jude

Jude New Member

Hi Mikie

My opinions of rhumys are the same as yours. Great at diagosing FMS and worthless at treating it. Your tenacity has apparently caught his attention. It must feel good to finally have some validation.

I have an Internal Medicine, Psychiatrist and Primary Care physicians interested in following my progress. They still are not ready to say that the guai can help some people but I've caught their attention. I've still got a long ways to go but the urine baby powder particles and the bubbles with black specks in the center can be seen. So that's not a figment of my imagination.

I've been called a non-conformist and sometimes that is a good thing or I would have never tried the guai treatment. We have a 70-year-old lady in our group who started on the protocol last August. She received advise on how to take her thyroid medication properly and the guai. She looked and said that she felt so much better last month when I saw her. She is not cured but I could feel that her lumps were smaller. Mapping is really a useful tool with this protocol.

Jude
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Let know when you hang you hang your 'Shingle' out, I will be your first patient!

Mel, Richard said he understood the 'liquor' comment! Must be a 'guy' thing!

Shalom, Shirl
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I really appreciate all your good wishes. I wanted to share this experience with all of you because it seems to me that it is a rarity with rheumies. Fortunately, for me, my PCP, who admits he knows next to nothing about CFS/FMS, is open to my research and requests for treatments. I really care nothing about validation from my rheumy, but it really was gratifying to see him able to open up to alternative treatments. I hope this will benefit his other patients.

I think a couple of things helped to open him up to new possibilities. First, the ProHealth brochures show him that I am serious about the well-being of sufferers of our illnesses. Second, it is hard to argue with my results. He told me that most of his patients just come in, complain about their pain, and ask for pain meds. I can understand his frustration, but on the other hand, he has not had much else to offer them in the way of treatments or hope.

I told him I think pain meds are a very important part of treatment but that they should be viewed as a temporary treatment til patients can find alternate ways of alleviating their pain in an integrated approach. This may mean the Guai, exercise, physical therapy, Yoga, Tai Chi, and therapy/cognitive behavior therapy/hypnotherapy. The Guai can take 6-8 months to start even showing progress and in the meantime, no one in horrible pain can pursue exercise and physical therapy. Pain meds are an essential part of our treatment, but they should not be the only treatment we get.

Mel, I think you sell yourself short by calling your success "luck." I know you have worked your tail off trying to find treatments to help you heal. What's the old saying, "The harder I work, the luckier I get!"

Anyway, my friends, never give up; just when you think something is hopeless, a nice surprise happens and it makes it all worthwhile.

Love, Mikie