Google contest "Change the World Ideas"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by therealmadscientist, Sep 29, 2008.

1. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Google announced a contest Sept 24th for "Change the World Ideas". Seems pretty open to any suggestions.

I found it a bit difficult to locate and use but submitted a suggestion. (Apparently, "limited to 150 characters" means 150 spaces).

About $10 million available for funding.

(You will read my suggestion in the top 5, of course:)lol.

Actually, I suggested a "Google Berry Amendment", which would encourage planting berries, fruit, and nut trees by giving a tax deduction for successfully planting and growing edible plants. It's a solar powered idea, just add H2O! The many lawns are already watered and fertilized, and lawns have somewhat lost any status value with all the insecticides and herbicides applied nowadays. Cheers, your Mr Bill

[This Message was Edited on 09/30/2008]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Google Berry Amendment sounds like a good plan. What are you going to amend? The Constitution? Is that necessary?

I looked for Change the World Ideas and got 19,000,000 hits. Is there a more specific URL?

Gordon's raspberry bush is producing fruit. I should post about it on the garden thread.

3. therealmadscientist

Maybe a better word to use, though personally I think the idea is worth a constitutional amendment! Actually, maybe soil amendment (improver) is what I was thinking.
    Maybe I should re-submit.

2104, thanks for searching the 17,000,000 choices. Yes, that's the site. I would have put it up, but I'm a bit lame when it comes to fancy computer stuff. Cheers, Your Mr Bill
  4. therealmadscientist

Only until October 20th to submit ideas, though Google also has some permanent sites for making suggestions.

Am I the only person to take this seriously? No one around my town seems able to make any attempt. sigh.

Anyhow, I added 3 more suggestions (under name of Therealmadscientist, of course).

One is to create a Book of Curves, or a search category of graphs.
    Simple XY graphs help me visualize and understand human events. Exponential or "bubble" curves could be flagged, etc.

Also, re-examining the long known concept that an object dropped into a straight tunnel through the earth takes about 75 minutes to reach anywhere on earth. Excluding friction, gravity causes the object to fall half the time, and then slow down the remaining time.

A third suggestion had to do with encouraging development of world economy computer simulations.....analogous to the hurricane and weather predicting programs.
    Anyhow, sort of fun, and maybe will make my life feel more worthwhile.

Cheers, Your Mr Bill
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I can't begin to solve them since I don't even understand the problems.

I believe it is generally accepted, however, that there are always more problems around than answers.

Now here's something to ponder. When we say, "It's raining," what is the antecedent of "it"?

6. therealmadscientist

Maybe I still have some "save the world" impulses/compulses. I guess what bothers me is that even if humans have answers available, usually there is no political will to implement answers.

Meanwhile, only one day left for submissions, so I should get off this subject soon.

Oh, three more suggestions made today!

Design a practical, inexpensive bicycle. Maybe a three wheeler for persons with fear of instability on bike.

Encourage use of insect repellent soap, like Avon Skin so Soft. Helpful for fighting malaria, and for natural disasters. Maybe add antimicrobials and UV protectors. I am wondering if soap can be nutritionally useful also:)

And a suggestion that having adult role models learning in childrens classrooms might stimulate kids to learn. I have this suspicion that kids go to school and see the teacher teaching, so they want to grow up and teach.....not learn.

Anyway, been fun for me. Wish everyone well, your mr Bill

7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I just now found this post and it is too late. Hey, it is never too late!! Maybe we should start thinking for next year.

You know, it could be a "crazy", in the good sense, idea like this to come up with some things that are really doable.

Even if we do not come up with anything, it is a good mindset to have. You never know what the mind can come up with!!

TMS, did you know there is an article, I think in USA Today, that is about caffeine put in soap. I will try to find it!!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/21/2008]
  8. therealmadscientist

I think Google has some permanent sites for making suggestions that can be used for ideas.

I think that 100 of "best ideas" will be picked by Googl employees, and then voting will be open to pick the best five. I look forward to seeing the other ideas.

It is a stimulating contest and a way to "throw out" some ideas. Most of my suggestions suggested that first finding someone qualified and interested was where to start.
    Cheers, mr Bill