Gosh I'm filling out my ssd papers and now I'm stressed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carlacat, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

Its taking me forever to fill out this form. Its so hard to try and write. I feel like I'm repeating myself in many questions, did you all feel that way too?
  2. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

Its taking me forever to fill out this form. Its so hard to try and write. I feel like I'm repeating myself in many questions, did you all feel that way too?
  3. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

You would think that the Social Security Administration would realize that they're dealing with people whose disabilities might make it difficult to make out multiple forms (often asking for the same information) and to meet their deadlines! (I had been out of town for a while and found myself with only two or three days left to complete the forms. Fortunately, I had spoken to a woman early on in the process who had been very helpful. I called and asked for a time extension, reminding her of what my situation was and that I had been out of town. She wasn't too happy about it, but she did grant me an extension. With the pressure off, I think I actually was able to return the form by the original deadline, though. I wanted the process completed as soon as possible!)

I applied for SSDI based on my MS. (I didn' know I had fibromyalgia yet, though I suspect I did.) I found the whole process incredibly depressing--and aggravating. For 20 years, I had been trying to show people what I, as a person with a disability--with MS in particular--*could* do. Now here's the SSDI application, which requires me to emphasize what I *can't* do. You bet it was depressing! It also makes me angry. It's based on the ludicrous notion that disability is a black-or-white condition--that either you can do everything or you can't do anything at all. That's one of the ideas I keep battling in my advocacy work on disability issues. (I even got it into the lyrics of one of my songs.) But the SSDI application process was, for me, one of the worst examples I personally have encountered of what's *wrong* with disability policy in this country! I don't know how anybody else has felt going through this, but it made me feel like dirt.

The up side is that my application was accepted on the first try. I know I was lucky with this. I've heard that most people are rejected on the first try. I guess the trick is for *you* to focus on what you *can* do while telling the SSDI people what you *can't* do. Sometimes it's just a matter of the spin you put on the same information. For example, I know that I can work part time doing certain types of work, especially out of my home. I also know that in my field, getting a paying part-time job working out of my home is practically impossible. Those jobs simply don't exist.

Please keep in mind that anyone who has gone through this process understands what you are dealing with. You're not alone.

--Laura
  4. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

It took me several days - i was severly exhausted and confused. Plus my finger joints hurt so bad it was very difficult to write - especially in those tiny spaces. So, i just wrote sloppily and all over the page!

good luck!
  5. debrastets

debrastets New Member

And their will be alote more comeing! Just take your time and be sure to make copys of everything where you can remember what you said! They ask the same questions over and over. I think they just wont you to give up; dont; I won after a year of paper work ! Good luck and you will be fine!
  6. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

are the pits! I got so frustrated and frenzied, I pushed myself into a panic attack. Fortunately, my husband helped me dicipher what all they wanted. Several weeks later, I received yet another packet of info to fill out. I could swear that I already supplied them with it, but I'll keep filling out their papers in hopes of acceptance.
    Lisa