Got a BIKE today

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Juloo, May 24, 2008.

1. Juloo

Juloo Member

I've been looking for one for a while -- just an inexpensive 'beach cruiser' type w/hand brakes and about 5 gear speeds. We saw a mens' model at Walmart, but I wanted the one without the center bar (I don't high jump so well anymore!). Last night, on a whim, DH and I stopped at the store and saw a matching set, so this morning, we got them. I even got a basket!

I'm so psyched! I haven't had a bike since before my son was still in training wheels. My son is a pre-teen now, but is not very coordinated, and will NOT ride a bike (can not, will not...WON'T). I kept saying I would get a bike when he got out of training wheels, but since it didn't happen, I didn't.

DH says we can go for a ride this evening. I took my bike down the street and back when we were setting the seat height. Even with the temperature being in the upper 80s, I could feel the wind on my face. I didn't realize how much I'd missed it!
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member remember to wear your helmets though-very necessary these days. Enjoy. We love our bikes but there agaion there are no hills here!!!

Love Annie
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

I stole my son's helmet, since he doesn't use it -- can you believe he's a pre-teen and already bigger than I am!

Fortunately we don't have any real hills to speak of here, either. There's only about a 30' elevation difference from the lowest (sea level) to highest point in town. I've always been a flatlander girl!
  4. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

My boyfriend taught me how to ride a bike again! I only do a little, but it's fun. I will never be at his level (he goes on lots of bike trips), but I feel a sense of accomplishment just going around the block a few times.

And I always wear a helmet, too.

Sue in Ontario
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Good for you! Hope you and your bike have many happy miles together. I don't think I've ridden a bike for half a century.

Mark Twain encouraged biking. He said, "Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."

6. Juloo

Juloo Member

I'm a little saddle-sore this week. I've had two bike rides -- one with my husband, and another to meet a friend for a short walk. The first one was a little longer.

I found out that it is a fairly easy and quick ride down to the rec center/swimming pool. I really wish my son would learn -- I was at the swimming pool almost every day when I was a kid.

I want to get him off the couch! Unfortunately, there's not really all that much (in the phys-ed department) that I can do with him that doesn't end up with me in a major fatigue or in a world of hurt. But I could do this with him!

Must work on this....!
  7. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

After a few more rides - your "saddle soreness" will go away.

Mine did.

8. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Sounds like fun...I loved bike riding. I'm glad you are able to enjoy it.

I have my beach cruiser in my garage and won't let my husband get rid of it. I know I will ride again.