Got a New Dog

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pawprints, May 9, 2008.

1. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Don't have a picture yet, but I got a new dog after losing my Golden Sweetie suddenly just before the new year.

We always had girls. This time we got a rescue male Golden who is 2 years old. He is a total sweetheart.

I am having a bit of hard time adjusting to a new dog, as I keep expecting him to be like my other two.

I am glad I did it, as he is good company. Plus, he is easier than a puppy and likes to sleeps late. What could be better for someone who is sick, than a dog who sleeps in!!

2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Congratulations on the new member of your family, he sounds like a sweetheart.

Post a pic when you can.

3. pawprints

pawprints New Member

I'll get one up as soon as I am feeling up to it.

I seem to be using all my energy attending to his needs right now. But he's worth it!
  4. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

I hope you enjoy your new companion, I love my dog, he is also a late sleeper, Ok. a full time sleeper. Best pet for me. His pic is in my profile.

5. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Congratulations on your recent adoption! I too adopted a rescue dog recently. I had to put my 18 month old Gretchen to sleep after she got into (what they think was rat poison).
    I also find myself comparing Rudy to my Gretchen. I never had a male dog before. he is nothing like Gretchen. This little guy is an escape artist.

As time goes on, I love him more and more. He is wonderful company for me. It has been slow, but I'm learning to appreciate his quirkiness. He is much more of a lap dog that Gretchen ever was. She was an entertainer.

Schnauzers are known for their vocabulary. This guy could set a world record for his vocabulary. It is amazing how much I understand what he is telling me. Who is training whom???? Post a picture when you can. We love sharing our pictures of our pets.
  6. Springfling

Springfling New Member

Happy to hear you adopted from a rescue. There are so many sweet babies out there who need a good home.

I also had a hard time adjusting to my Ellie and comparing her to our Poodle who passed.

Getting her was the best thing I did. They are such good companions and really make us feel better.

I wish you luck with him! By the way, what is his name?
  7. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I'm happy you have a new dog. We have two dogs, small ones and they keep me company. My hubby got me a puppy last spring, and he is so much fun!

Good idea to get an older pup. It was hard for me taking care of a puppy. Next time we are going to rescue a dog as well. There are so many that need to be rescued!!! You did a good thing!!

8. pawprints

pawprints New Member

is his name as of now. I call him Zinn, some others Zinny, etc.

He doesn't act like a Zinny. He is so calm and mellow.

I may change his name to Hunter...because he loves to hunt lizards. But my husband is a big wine collector and Zinfandel is his he thought of the name. ??? What do you all think?

My other girl could talk up a storm, the tail was always going and made me laugh all day. She could even say "I Love You". We have many witnesses. He is just more of a hanger outer which I guess I will adjust to.

I hope with time I give him the love he deserves. He is so sweet. OK we slept till 11 today!! No joke.

My husband has been away for 2 weeks so I have been on my own. Hopefully, once hubby comes back they will run and play, etc. I had one training session and will plan another in a few weeks. I am just working with him everyday on some basic commands.

I may have to ask for help getting the picture posted. I now have one, but not sure what to do next. The picture is on my e-mail sent from a friend with a camera phone.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/10/2008]
  9. momof471

momof471 New Member

congrats on your new dog. They are so much comfort!

I have two dogs, one pure Boxer and one half boxer half lab.

They are so sweet! I love how they greet me in the morning and they are wagging their whole back ends!!!

The youngest one is about 10 months and we rescued her when she was 16 weeks. She came to us very timid and scared with fire ant bites all over her! Underfed and huge patches of fur missing everywhere.

She is the sweetest dog. She still has a hard time looking people in the eyes, but is very affectionate.

I love it when the lie down in the living room and my two youngest girls lay resting their heads on the dogs.

Dogs are truly a blessing!

God Bless
  10. pawprints

pawprints New Member

He just is not happy yet.

My brother came to visit and said he had sad eyes.

He is only 2 years but I swear he lived a lifetime.

I hope his tail starts wagging soon.

My otheres would wag so hard objects would be knocked off the table and their whole bodies would wiggle.

This sweet guy just approached slowly and wants a little pet.

Well, I'm lucky to have such a calm dog I guess.

Any hints on how to post a photo. My friend took the picture so it is on my e-mail.
  11. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Congrats on your new baby! I now have 4 new babies myself, though not by choice. Someone dumped these little 3 month onld puppies on my road and of course they showed up at MY house! They are adorable but I am not able to take on any more pets, so I will foster them until a home is found.

I wish I could help you post your picture, but I always have trouble myself posting photos on here. And once I get one posted, that is where it stays!

By the way, some dogs, especially Goldens are just naturally laid back. He may never show much animation, but know that he is sure to be happy in your home. Think of it as someone who is really quite a happy person, but doesn't smile or laugh very much. That is just part of their personality.
  12. sisland

sisland New Member

Stopping by to say Congratulations on your new Baby too!,,,,,Give him lots of love and talk to him alot and i think He will come out of his shell in time!,,,,,i haven't been around Goldens,,,,but if their anything like Black labs i'm sure (hopefully),,,he will warm up!,,,,Goodluck and enjoy him!
  13. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

With your new doggie. Our Golden mix she had been badly treated and it took about 6 months before she would trust us, then once she did, well she was just totally in love with us and our cats!!! She would curl up like a cat. We had that dog a long time and she eventually died of lung cancer, possibly due to the fact she was eating of garbage dumps prior to her coming to us at two.

I am certain that with lots of love and patience he will start to be able to trust.

In fact, this is what changed it for us. Copper had gotten very anxious and had gone number two on the rug and ran and cowered, we just picked it up and took it out and never said a word bad about it, as we knew it was sheer anxiety. After that she realised she was not going to get kicked about ever again.

God bless to all of you who help rescue these great beings. I am enamoured with the Angel's Gate Hospice right now as they do such wonderful(free) rescue work with maimed dogs and cats.

Love Annie
  14. pawprints

pawprints New Member

One of my CFIDS friends ordered balloons for outside my house. The neighborhood has been stopping by with gifts. They all thought I got a puppy...boy were they shocked when they saw his size!

Sorry I can't add a picture till we take one with our own won't let me take the one my friend sent me and add it.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/14/2008]
  15. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Pawprints,

Good luck with your new dog. Just give him some time and I am sure his tail will be wagging off his body too. It doesn't look like you have had him long so it may take a little bit of time.

Glad he likes to sleep late too (-: !! That is a good sign to me.

16. nina_and_me

nina_and_me New Member

Congratulations on your new family member! Does he have a name yet?

I've only had two dogs since I've been out on my own - both were from a rescue organization, and both are the loves of my life. They were both about nine months old when I adopted them.

It took my first dog, Molly, quite a bit of time to adjust to me. She was very fearful at first...I think she was afraid of being left. It took me a while to adjust to Amber...she came home wagging her tail, acting like she'd always lived there.

I'm so happy that you have a new dog. Nothing compares to the love they give.

17. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

I am not sure if I can explain how to post the pic, since I don't know what email program you use. And since my profile already has a picture in it, I can't walk myslef through the steps. So this is from memory:

Go to the email with the picture attached. Look around the screen and locate the picture file. (On my email, outlook express, there is a little paperclip symbol at the top of the message that you click on.)

If you can locate the attached file, there should be an option to save it, either by right or left clicking on it. Save it to somewhere easy to find, like the desktop. Name the file something like My Dog.

Now go to your profile page, and at the top right, click "edit profile". At the top of that page, in the add a picture box, click the drop down menu and locate the file you saved to the desktop.

Then there is probably a button to push to either save the changes or update the profile. Click that, whatever it is.

Now, it won't show up immediately. You might have to wait a few minutes and refresh the profile page to see it.

Hope that helps. If not, maybe someone else can walk you through. I am anxious to see your new buddy!
  18. pawprints

pawprints New Member

I have to wait for my friend who took the pictures to download them onto a disc and then put them in my computer.

As soon as she gives me the disc, I will do this.

Poor guy...had to be re-neutered. The original vet the rescue group took him to botched it and he never healed right. I got a dog like me...with health problems.

My poor fella is laying here crying with an e-collar on. I can't wait till we can find some happiness for him!
  19. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

We have had a rescue, border collie mix, for 14 years now and she was an adult when we adopted her.

She was so aggressive, I was afraid of her and nearly took her back.

She was afraid of everything, just living scared her. We think she was beat and kept in a dark basement, as she would never go down the steps. She was even afraid of steps leading upstairs, ceiling fans, traffic, etc.

She will still bite if someone extends their hand. She needs to get to know the person first. She will sometimes show her teeth to us if we sneak up unexpectedly or do something she doesn't like.

She also plays that way, too, showing her teeth. We got to know when it's playtime or just "leave me alone".

We love her and she has overcome a lot of her challenges.

She is old now and has lost a lot of bladder control and has arthritis but still wants to play and be near us. I keep drop cloths and blankets around for her. She does require a lot of work, but it helps me keep going, too, and has taught me patience.

I take care of the elderly, and I think of her as one of my clients. I need to medicate her, bathe her, toilet her regularly, groom her back end, ............LOL

It is worth it all.

May your new pup bring your family lots of happiness. I truly beileve they are angels.
  20. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

The same thing happened to me. My miniature schnauzer swallowed something(we didn't know it at the time) and within days his intestines were getting torn up. I had to rush him to the vet where he was crying andmaking these horrible noises. The vet said that she didn't think he would survive the surgery, and if he did, he might not survive the long least 10 days at the vet, and a slim chance of surviving...

i couldn't put my 4 yr old dog to sleep fast enough. It was horrifying to listen to him crying. He would stop when i stood by his little cage. I wouldn't even let the vet move him to a private room because it hurt him to be moved. She put him to sleep right there. This was in the main area where they do the surgeries and have the treatment cages.

All the staff left the area while we put him down and left me alone when I was freaking out crying, afterwards. The horrible part is my 4 yr old son waswith me. The receptionists took him out to the waiting area and put in a video for him. They watched him for me and comforted him when i was I mess.

I have the best vet clinic ever. They did an autopsy and found this strange black suction cup. I can't believe he got it down his throat. It was big. Thank good ness I didn't recognizeit as something I was too lazy to pick up off the floor!

I have his ashes right next to my bed with his collar and tags. It was such a shock to lose him so suddenly. Your story reminds me of our story. Rat poison....that is awful....that must have been very sudden and very upsetting.

I said no dogs for me again. It hurts too much to lose them. Well, a few weeks later, a chihuahua needed a home with "a female owner that is home all day"...that is what the ad said...she was 12 weeks at the time. She had been bought from a breeder and when they got her home she cried all day in her crate while thewere at work. She was also scared of the dad and son...

She sounded perfect for me...i needed a companion...and that she is...she is always laying on my lap or following me everywhere. She was the best medicine ever. She is not like my Tobie, the schnauzer....

she is a true DIVA...and a nasty girl...but i love her!!and she loves me.
    so far, every dog I get has weird personality quirks...

we also adopted a 5 yr old golden retriever/yellow lab mix recommended by my vet...she has his littermate and knew him personally....he is great!

adopting an adult dog is the way to go! Even a senior dog would be nice. and there are so many that need homes...

sorry so long....I don't know what gets into me sometimes!

pawprints, don't worry, it takes time to bond to a new dog...i am so sorry about losing your baby....