Got a new script / its Lyrica~ have questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Dec 15, 2005.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi guys~ ladies,
    I just got a script for Lyrica yesterday from my Rheumy.

I was telling him how the ultrams alone are'nt helping my pain much.(kinda looking for a new pain med,..like Norco)
    but instead,...he offers me "new hope' in this drug made for nerve pain. (thats what he said)
    and he thinks it will help me with sleep issues too.

Its only 50 mgs, takin an hr or 2 before bedtime.
    has anyone tried this med?
    and how was it,..did it help?
    I have'nt started it yet. (but willing to try anything!)
    Tandy
  2. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

Hi Tandy-

That's funny my Ultram wasn't working either and my doctor put me on Lyrica too! I have been on it for 3 weeks and it hasn't helped yet.

I hope it works much better for you! Please keep me posted.[This Message was Edited on 12/15/2005]
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

hmmm? this must not be a popular med here??

I even searched it here and hardly no older posts on Lyrica either.
    Makes me wonder.
    I'll pick it up at the pharmacy tomorrow and see what happens.
    Hopefully the huge ice storm they're calling for in my area will shift away from us.
    Take care~
    wish me luck!!
    I need it :)
  4. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

this is a fairly new med.

I remember reading quite a few threads about it.

You may want to try your search again.

I think it is a new improved Neurontin. I had bad reactions to that, so I opted not to try lyrica.

Good luck!
  5. mrsED

mrsED New Member

Tandy,
    I have been taking Lyrica for a couple of months now.
    I am feeling better than I have in a long time. Sleep has been a huge problem for me and the Lyrica is helping me sleep much deeper and I'm waking up more rested, therefore able to do more.

I've stopped taking my sleeping pill, ambien, which I've been on for at least two years.
    As far as pain, it's hard for me to say, since my Dr. increased my pain med, oxycontin, recently. I still have pain, and I still get fatiqued, but I feel the most improvement with this med than I have with any other.

My Dr. has been giving me samples. I'm afraid my insurance won't cover it since it is not approved for FMS yet.

I know everyone is different, but I'm glad I stayed with this past the initial side effects which were dizziness, daytime sleepiness, feeling off balance.

MrsEd
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

all responses are helpful and apreciated!!!

I'll give it a shot.
    What have I got to lose?
    I could'nt feel much worse than I do lately.
    I'll re-search cause maybe I did something wrong last time I looked.
    hugs
    Tandy
  7. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I tried lyrica, but I stopped my other pain meds. I couldn't tell that the lyrica helped so after a few days I stopped. Perhaps I needed to give it a longer time, but I couldn't stand the pain.

Do others take the lyrica and other pain meds together?
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

I only know that my dr. told me he was adding this to my other meds. I take ultram,...and I got a new script for the ultrams and the Lyrica. (to be used together)

although,.. I only take the ultrams during the day hrs and the Lyrica is for before bed.
    Hope this helps~
  9. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I was given samples this week also. I was to take 50 mg at night to start the program. He was concerned that it might contribute to the severe fatigue I have but was hopeful that it would help with the pain in my feet that the narcotics have not helped. I am to start taking it in the morning for a few days and then aid a mid day pill until it equals 300mgs. He said it was like Neurontin but without the side effects. I had to stop taking Neurontin but I had increased pain without it. The only thing I can tell you about it is that I haven't slept this well in a couple of years. I am still taking my other night time meds but tonight I hope to be able to drop the Oxycontin. That would be wonderful. The concern I have now is that I am sleeping so hard and not waking up in the morning that I am worried about taking it in the day hours. So far so good.
  10. mrsED

mrsED New Member

meds which are oxycontin, total of 40mg a day, tramadol, prozac and I was taking Sonata.

I'm still taking Oxycontin 10 mg, every 6 hours. Since starting Lyrica I was able to reduce prozac from 40mg to 20 mg. I was taking ultram 3 times a day. Now I only take it about once a day.

I have been able to totally stop the Sonata which is great. I have taken either ambien or sonata for years and now don't need it for sleep. My sleep is better than it has been in many years. I'm only up to the bathroom 1 or 2 times rather than 8 or 10, (not kidding).

I have Irritable bladder or neurogenic bladder. This is another improvement I have noticed. I don't have the urgency to urinate that I had before.

I am not cured but I have seen the most improvement with this med than any other and i think I have tried them all.

Hope others will do as well, but don't feel you must stop your other meds until you think you're able to.

MrsEd

11. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I see the doctor Tuesday, I'll ask about taking the Lyrica with the pain meds. I'm interested in how long before you noticed a difference after beginning the lyrica.
  12. tandy

tandy New Member

Thanks for all the added responses.

I have'nt even picked up my script yet form the pharmacy!!
    darn weather first,..then just too darn ill to feel like leavin the house~ I hope for better tomorrow.
    as soon as I start the med. I'll keep others here posted as to how I do on it.
    fingers crossed cause I really need help ;(
    my pain is horrible these days.
    Hugs
    Tandy