Got A Pretty New Bracelet

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, May 6, 2011.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As sick as I've been, my vanity is still alive and well. I have arthritis in my left wrist and the joint is enlarged. On a day-to-day basis, it doesn't bother me. It's only when I'm going out and want to look nice that I want to cover it up. I have a costume cuff bracelet in goldtone and I wear it. Lately, I've been wearing more and more silver jewelry and I didn't have a nice cuff. Sterling cuffs are expensive. I went to HSN and got one in polished stainless steel. It's a leaf cutout design and I loooove it. Can't wait for it to get here. It looks as nice as silver but at a fraction of the price.

I don't know whether y'all ever noticed that Natalie Wood always wore cuff bracelets. I did. Turns out she broke her wrist when she was very young and it didn't heal right. She hated the way her wrist looked. I can empathize with that.

Love, Mikie
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sounds like the kinda thing Natalie Wood do.

Glad you found something you like. My knuckles are all swollen and
    deformed. You think I could get really little finger bracelets for them?

3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

So glad you found what you like. I would love to see a picture of it on your profile when you get it. I have gotten some lovely things from HSN.

So happy you found such a pretty bracelet for a much more reasonable price !

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Rock, I'm laughing at the Wood pun. Puns are my favorite form of humor, well, next to bathroom humor :) I also have a couple of fingers which are enlarged and starting to become crooked. Fortunately, my ring fingers have been spared, so far. I have some nice rings and want to be able to continue to wear them. If some of the rings sold on QVC and HSN get any bigger, you can probably get one which will cover the knuckles.

Granni, you can see the bracelet if you go to HSN, Jewelry and click on cuff bracelets or steel bracelets. It's so very unique that you would recognize it right away. It's big with large cutouts of leaves. There's more openwork than steel so I'm hoping it won't be heavy. Even though you can see skin through it, I think it will still hide my ugly wrist. It's casual looking but down here in the jungle, we don't get dressed up much. I just put on a nicer tee shirt and Capri pants and wear jewelry. That's about as dressed up as I get. Once in a blue moon, I'll put on a casual gathered skirt, like the broomstick skirts which, thankfully, seem never to go out of style. I have a bunch left over from when I worked before I worked at publix. At Publix, I had to wear a green vest which was only appropriate one day a year--St. Paddy's Day. I called it my leperchan (sp?) look.

I kind of hated to spend any money right now as I await my peptide injection treatment but the wrist has gotten bigger and I just couldn't take it anymore. Vanity, thy name is Mikie :)

Thank you both for your interest and good words.

Love, Mikie
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

It's on page 2, Granni. Assuming I found the right one. "Stately steel open
    leaf". A real steal at only $24.95

I'm learning so much from the thread, Mikie. I now know what a cuff bracelet is and
    sorta know what a broomstick skirt is. The pictures I saw were almost all skirts that
    were ankle length, but some were a little shorter. Seemed to come in a wide variety
    though. Some were sorta pleated and some had ruffles and some were solid and some
    had patterns and Uff-da! No wonder women have so much trouble making up
    their mind when they shop. Ha Ha!

I did know what a bangle was though. When I was a teen that song from "Kismet"
    was popular: Baubles, Bangles and Beads. I saw the show in the 1960s when it was touring.
    Kathryn Grayson was the star. The part of the Wazir was played by an energetic
    chubby fellow.

Twenty years later we played bridge together and discussed Broadway shows. He
    was also in the original Camelot w/ Julie Andrews and Richard Burton and Robert Goulet.

Speaking of coincidences, yesterday I got an e mail from a fellow in Poland regarding
    a comment I posted on Youtube. Last night I started to read a new mystery. It's
    set in London, but one of the characters is a hypnotist from Poland. When folks drink vodka, he says "Na Zdrowie!"

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My neighbors are Polish. We went to the Polish grocery store when they were here and, talk about lerning all kinds of things. There were foods, candies and delicacies like I've never seen. They don't drink but always have coffee, tea and all kinds of things to eat at their condo. They are always ready to go out to eat too. Now that I'm on my cleaned-up diet, I won't be eating out. I'm in withdrawal from Diet Coke and I shudder to think what might happen if I were to get any food with MSG in it. But, I digress...

Sounds as though your friend has lived a very interesting life. My SIL is from a show biz family and he has had an interesting view into that life.

Yes, cuff and bangle bracelets have been around a long time. I like it that now almost everything is in style. One can wear bold jewelry or delicate pieces. I actually found another bracelet when I was out shopping. This one is a series of hammered metal discs held together with elastic. The discs are gold and copper colored. I found smaller drop earrings with the same discs only smaller. Actually, I would love to have found some larger ones with just one disc. It is soooo comfortable with the stretch. My old gold cuff is hinged and if my wrist gets any worse, it isn't going to fit. As it is, it sometimes pinches.

Love, Mikie
  7. Granniluvsu

on HSN. Sounds really pretty. I have to go and start dinner now !!

Hi Rock - Hope you are doing better.

8. victoria

victoria New Member

I like cuff bracelets too, except in summer. In summer I hate wearing all jewelry other than earrings for some reason. Speaking of skirts, I am beginning to think that broomstick skirts might be better coverage from the sun over slacks, as it would be a heckukva lot cooler with the air movement LOL... just wish having kids hadn't herniated my stomach muscles, I always feel so fat around the waist comparatively.

So - had to look up 'Na Zdrowie' as I couldn't tell from your post Rock if it had something to do with the guy being a hypnotist. LOL, found out it just means basically "too your health"/"cheers". If anyone wants to know how to pronounce it, go to an click on the blue arrow/triangle - quite different than how we'd pronounce it in English!

Na Zdrowie!

9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Whenever I see anything in Polish, I want to buy a vowel :) Yes, long skirts, especially if they are thin material, are cool. Most of the long broomstick skirts are thin material but because they are crinkled or ruffled, you can't see thru them. I just wear a nice tee shirt with a scoop neck with them. I leave them outside, not tucked in. They look just fine, especially if I throw on some jewelry. I've just been too tired to do anything cept go to the store and to the pharmacy. I just felt I had a little more energy that day when I went to Kohl's. Before I got home, I had the shakes. Yikes! Deja vu of ten years ago.

Granni, I hope you can see the bracelet. I'd get a pic but have never been able to put one in my profile, even with PH's help. They had some beautiful silver Italian bracelets on sale at really good prices with easy pay. Still, the steel bracelet cost less than one easy pay payment for a silver one. My only concern is whether I can get it on and it fits. With silver, you can spread or clamp the cuff. Probably not with steel. If it doesn't work out, I'll return it and get a silver one.

Love, Mikie
  10. Granniluvsu

I love that lovely leaf bracelet. It is so different looking and pretty too. Hope it works great for you. Somehow, I am sure it will.

Have to go and get to our daughters in the big city for a late lunch. I am bringing a spinach dip (spread). It is so yummy !

11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Spinach is high in magnesium, which is good for us. I like to cook with it and eat it in salads.

Last night, HSN had steel jewelry on sale. I didn't see the first hour but they had really good deals. There were lots of cuffs and one was really beautiful, looked just like silver. It was solid and shiny and had a wavy design. I was tempted but held back. I do love the one I ordered. All the cuffs sold last night were adjustible so I think mine will work out OK.

If, by the Grace of God, these peptide injections work out and I regain my health, I'm going to get out more. Right now is for nesting and resting but I need more social and intellectual stimulation.

Hope you enjoyed the trip to the bright lights/big city.

Love, Mikie
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The picture doesn't do it justice. It is beautiful and looks just like shiny sterling silver. It's nice and wide but doesn't look too overwhelming because of the leafy cutouts. It's perfect and I'm so glad I got it.

Love, Mikie
  13. Toga

Toga Member

I loved this thread. I was grinning the whole time I read it. And Rock you're a nut! I love nuts. Everytime there is one these chatty threads Mikie is usually involved.

I think Mikie and I would really get along. We seem to have the same sense of humor. And I have a habit of "digressing" myself. Too bad I'm in Missouri and you are in Florida. I feel a kinship for Rock also and many of you.

Keep it up. I need to come here more often.

By the way I went to HSN and checked out the bracelet too. It is lovely.

love, Toga
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think that's what makes this such a special place. We do feel a real kinship, like a group of old friends discussing things over a cup of coffee in somebody's kitchen.

Thanks for your compliments. I wore the bracelet to our condo mtg. this morning as my wrist was swollen more than usual. Too much solitaire on the puter.

Love, Mikie
  15. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I just had an antique seed pearl ring sized for my pinkie finger, even at my age! My knuckles have gotten rather large byt I still wear rings.

I wear bracelets but cuff bracelets hurt my FM and arthritis. Will look up your ring though. I have tons of jewelry, some even from the 40's and some of my mother's dangly earrings-- I am not dressed for going out anywhere without jewelry on. I do not have pierce ears so the clips are hard to find and I just can mot get them on straight. oh well!

Glad you found something that gives you pleasure--and I agree with you!

16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I love jewelry too but really don't go out much to wear anything fancy. Years ago, my ex bought me a vintage costume ring at an antique store. It's soooooo pretty. It wasn't marked but the dealer thought it was costume jewelry made by Chaparelli. Some high-end jewelry designers have lines of cheaper costume jewelry. Kenneth Lane sells his designs on, I think, QVC. Wealthy women who wear his couture jewelry pair it with the costume jewelry. Elizabeth Taylor and Jackie Collins were a couple of his favorite customers.

I get a kick out of watching the shows even though I can't buy everything I see, or anything I see.

Love, Mikie