got a script for Cholesterol-lowering med..with MY cirrhosis!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Oct 24, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I've researched and studied and prayed and consulted with docs and I STILL don't know what I wanna do about this problem. As some of my friends may remember, I was recently diagnosed with a scarring and inflammation problem in my liver. The liver biopsy results have been sent to a panel of hepatologists for further review. I have a lot of scar tissue and we aren't really sure of the etiology. My cholesterol and triglycerides are each 465 and my liver doc said to tell my PCP to go ahead and prescribe a med to lower them, in spite of my abnormal liver enzymes and scarring! I questioned this, as did my PCP, and I got the prescription yesterday, but I haven't taken it. The drug is called Lescol and it is a statin drug. THIS SCARES ME....I probably have this scarring and inflammation because of meds docs have given me in the past and they want to cut out my Ultram because of it and they STILL want me to take a med that will most definitely cause MORE liver problems????????? Do they really think that the pain is a less significant problem to me than the cholesterol is??? I don't FEEL the cholesterol, but the pain is horrendous without the Ultram....this is not an option for me and I WILL take this med if I have to order it online!!! I realize that I have all of the CHD risk factors except for smoking, but I'd rather die than to live with chronic pain with NO relief. Inhumane treatment! There HAS to be an answer. My cholesterol problem is familial.....all my family has it and all have had heart disease. My diet never affected the levels and I wouldn't question the idea of a statin drug if I didn't have pre-existing liver damage. Any ideas????? I will not take the Lescol without a lot of information to support that my condition warrants it's use.

Please advise. I HAVE done my research and I just need personal advice now.....
    Thank you!
    Love and health,
    Kady
    [This Message was Edited on 10/24/2002]
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I've researched and studied and prayed and consulted with docs and I STILL don't know what I wanna do about this problem. As some of my friends may remember, I was recently diagnosed with a scarring and inflammation problem in my liver. The liver biopsy results have been sent to a panel of hepatologists for further review. I have a lot of scar tissue and we aren't really sure of the etiology. My cholesterol and triglycerides are each 465 and my liver doc said to tell my PCP to go ahead and prescribe a med to lower them, in spite of my abnormal liver enzymes and scarring! I questioned this, as did my PCP, and I got the prescription yesterday, but I haven't taken it. The drug is called Lescol and it is a statin drug. THIS SCARES ME....I probably have this scarring and inflammation because of meds docs have given me in the past and they want to cut out my Ultram because of it and they STILL want me to take a med that will most definitely cause MORE liver problems????????? Do they really think that the pain is a less significant problem to me than the cholesterol is??? I don't FEEL the cholesterol, but the pain is horrendous without the Ultram....this is not an option for me and I WILL take this med if I have to order it online!!! I realize that I have all of the CHD risk factors except for smoking, but I'd rather die than to live with chronic pain with NO relief. Inhumane treatment! There HAS to be an answer. My cholesterol problem is familial.....all my family has it and all have had heart disease. My diet never affected the levels and I wouldn't question the idea of a statin drug if I didn't have pre-existing liver damage. Any ideas????? I will not take the Lescol without a lot of information to support that my condition warrants it's use.

Please advise. I HAVE done my research and I just need personal advice now.....
    Thank you!
    Love and health,
    Kady
  3. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

you are in a tough spot. I am at a loss here..but I was wondering if taking something like Milk Thistle would help you with maybe helping you detox your liver. I can understand your not wanting to be without pain meds..maybe you could take an alternative approach with the cholesterol (sp) and/or liver problem?

Hoping you find the answers..take care.
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Thank you so much for your reply. I am taking Milk Thistle thanks to this board and I will continue to do so. This is something I feel strongly about and I believe it can help the inflamed liver and help start new cell growth, but the docs say the scar tissue is there to stay. I want to prevent further damage, but we don't as yet know where the damage is coming from.....just like my life; no real answers! lol
    I have an appt to discuss the hepatology panels' findings on November 12th. I hope I'm not setting myself up for another disappointment because I need to understand that they, too, may not have an answer for me. This is so frustrating to have FMS/CFIDS, that leaves me with many unanswered questions AND this problem, too.
    I'll keep you informed. Thank you!
    Love,
    Kady
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Talk about your rock and a hard place. I know that statins sometimes cause the very problems they are designed to prevent. I would be as concerned as you are. I think it's an important clue that your PCP is concerned.

You say your diet doesn't affect your cholesterol. Are you referring to a low-fat diet or a low-carb diet. Eating natural animal fat does not increase cholesterol levels, but eating refined carbs does. So do vegetable based oils and fats. Many on the Atkins, Syndrome X, or Suzanne Somers have successfully decreased their cholesterol and triglicerides. I don't know how that works if it's a family trait, but it would certainly be worth taking a shot at it.

Love, Mikie
  6. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I did the Atkins diet a few years back and it did nothing for my cholesterol and triglyceride levels~~my levels have been very high for ten years and I've tried everything short of meds. The Atkins diet just about worked my kidneys to death. I have Lupus with renal involvement and I just couldn't handle it. I do eat a lot of carbs now. I sorta went wild with them after the Atkins and my stomach just turns at the thought of most meats now! I really need something more like the Zone diet, I think, but my husband and I eat out a lot since it's just the two of us and I work full-time and can't seem to cook just for two after cooking for six for years and years! I'm a picky eater....I don't like a lot of foods and I can't force myself to eat something I hate! I hate the thought of the planning and cooking for one...my husband just will not consider any change of eating habits for himself. I am really at a loss here.
    I only use olive oil and I have almost eliminated margarine. BUT, I fall back on pop-tarts and quick fixes when I'm rushed. I LOVE starches and my tummy rejects most other foods now. The idea of steak and salad makes me sick. I hate onions, tomatoes and salad dressing...my salads consist of lettuce, cucumbers and carrots....bland and plain. If I could just drink a shake, I could survive better than eating this......
    I have given up Nutrasweet and caffeine and I only drink water now....isn't this a little move in the right direction?
  7. kadywill

kadywill New Member

for advice on non-Rx. methods of reducing lipids. Has anyone taken any supplements that have worked that are less harmful to the liver than the statin drugs???? Please advise...I'm desperate. Let's see....do I prefer to die from heart disease or from liver failure....or do I just WANT to die from the pain?????? If anyone can help, please do..the docs haven't a clue!
    Love and hope,
    Kady
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Again, I'm so sorry and I don't know what to say other than I'm praying for you. Take care.

I am using the Suzanne Somers diet as it's less restrictive than the Atkins diet and leaves me feeling satisfied and not wanting carbs. I eat nothing made with flour, no sugar in any form, no white rice, and no white potatoes. This is much easier for me to endure until I reach my target weight. Then, I can add a little bread or pasta or even one of Somers delicious desserts from time to time.

Love, Mikie
  9. stillafreemind

Kady..if I were in your spot..and if I could only go with alternatives..I would go with the following..and I would have no doubt that not only would your bad numbers come down..but I think your good cholesterol numbers would go up..and you really want that to happen...are ya ready?

Garlic..supplement and the real deal if you can. Grapeseed extract..Omega three oils (fish oils)..and last but not least Flaxseed oil. You can put your flaxseed oil in (1 to 2 Tablespoons) in a fourth of a cup of cottage cheese...or yogurt. Use only Barleans..cold pressed. Look for it..if you cannot find it let me know and I will steer you in the right direction.

I have a book..it is called Miracle Food Cures from the Bible. I do believe I have gotten more relief for various symptoms from this book than anyother. Some of these things may very well help you with a variety of your other symptoms..I only list them here for help in dropping your cholesterol.

Duh..I have already forgotten if your blood pressure was high too..

Please let your physician know about all these things..as if you are on meds..I do not know that the interactions might be..if any at all. Also..if you are on high blood pressure meds..keep good track of your blood pressure..as I do believe this combo might lower your pressure and you will have to have your meds adjusted accordingly.

If I can be of any help ..please let me know..I cannot promise you anything..I can only honestly tell you that this is what I would try if I were in your shoes right now.

Good luck girl..I will say a little prayer for ya! as ever....still
  10. stillafreemind

and that is Olive Leaf extract..I take the capsules..but I do believe that it comes in liquid also.

I will try to bump this a bit until you see it..
  11. kadywill

kadywill New Member

do ALL you've suggested. I thank you so much for all of this advice. I will try to get the Somer's Diet...maybe it's at our local library. I will find these supplements somewhere. $$$ is tight now. Between my liver biopsy and meds and the prostate biopsy my husband has to have Friday, we are strapped. I ask you to remember him in prayer if you will. My life is nothing without my soulmate.
    With love and gratitude!!!
    Kady
  12. stillafreemind

about the pocketbook..I am there too. Even if you take say..two or three it will be better than nothing. Also, when you are looking for the supp..just buy the smaller bottles and give this a real good try for 30 days..my guess is you will see some improvement..or feel some improvement. Oh..there is a place that I order from that sells the two for ones alot..good quality stuff too. Heck..mom and I order from them and split the products..know what I mean?

Good luck Kady..how about I take a little extra time tonight and pray for both you and your husband?<G> Try not to worry and stress yourself..be good to your bod..and maybe it will be good to you? (yeah,,right!) still