Got kidney infection from UTI. It HURTS.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Nov 30, 2006.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

Has anyone with FM gotten a kidney infection from a UTI?

I've been on antibiotics for almost a week now and I'm still having severe pain in my kidney.

How long did it take you to recover?

Thanks,
    Danielle
  2. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I had one when I was a kid. ABX helped me.

To avoid UTI's try Clear Tract Powder from Discover Nutrition (online). It's D-Mannose, a sugar, and it does work! You can take it daily as a preventative measure.

CherylSue
  3. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I had a UTI that was really bad for a couple of weeks, didn't clear up on antibiotics in that time and went into my kidneys. The doctor kept on changing to a stronger antibiotic, but after another week or so, I had a high fever & was in excruciating pain, so they tested me again & the infection was just getting worse & worse & they had to admit me to the hospital for IV antibiotics.

It wasn't so bad once I was there - got some good pain medication too. At that point I really needed it.

At any rate, I would suggest getting another test done, to be sure that the infection is no longer present, because if it is, you need to start a stronger antibiotic NOW. It can cause irreversible damage to your kidneys if left for too long, not to mention that it was one of the most painful experiences of my life.

Go to your doctor before the weekend, so you don't end up in the ER over the weekend - that is never fun.

Take care,
    Leanne
  4. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I was actually in the ER last night because I was in such severe pain in my back and stomach that I couldn't even move.

They gave me another test, and on the urinalysis it did say I had bacteria, which on the one I had on monday it didn't.

They haven't gotten the culture back yet in any case, and I've had this for about 10 days now, on antibiotics for 4.

The UTI itself is getting better, but the pain from the kidney is just excruciating.

They don't even know if the antibiotic I'm on (bactrim, because it doesn't hurt my GERD) is helping, because they haven't been able to culture it to find out what bacteria we're dealing with.

The hospital said that if the pain hasn't gotten better by tomorrow to go to my doctor immediately for further testing.

The problem is that when I first got sick, it was before break for thanksgiving. By the time I realized what was happening, all the doctors were closed, and I didn't get any help until monday.

The hospital gave me 600 mg ibuprofen, but it's not working for very long--the pain is so incredibly excruciating.

-Danielle
  5. caffey

caffey New Member

Try drinking cranberry juice. We used to say 1 glass every hr. to the pain goes. Are you sure it is just an infection. You wouldn't have a stone would you? Also don't mess around it can turn into a life threatening condition if left untreated and if you are on any immunosuppressant drugs.
    Cath
  6. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

Yes, they're positive it's a kidney infection that was caused by a UTI. There was nothing I could do earlier because it was a holiday, and no one was around.

They're also positive that it's not kidney stones. They thought about that, but they did find bacteria, so it's an obvious UTI.

And I can't tolerate cranberry juice, because of my acid reflux. I can't drink any juices, actually. But I'm drinking a lot of water to try to flush it out of my system.

I'm just not sure why it's not getting better.
  7. findmind

findmind New Member

A dear friend got a UTI about 3 weeks ago, she put off going to dr.

1 week ago, she was in agony; they quickly found out it was ecoli in kidney, she told me. I'd never heard of that!

Major meds, and she's much, much better!

Keep at the dr., ok? Don't risk your life because of their slowness, esp. with labs! Insist on STAT labs...right now!

Hope you find answers and feel better really soon!

findmind