Got my letter SSI denial

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TKE, Sep 25, 2006.

1. TKE

TKE New Member

I applied for SSD. They also had me apply for SSI as a formality. SSA lady told me I would be denied & this was just one of the steps they make you go thru. I got a letter last week stating I had applied for SSI & was denied. So today I get another letter going into detail why I was denied & about doing a request for reconsideration, etc. I'm assuming I just ignore this & file it away?

I haven't gotten my denial yet for SSD, which I know I will be denied based on income. Should have never worked that part time job for 15 weeks...GRRR!

Once I get the SSD denial I'll appeal, as it'll take time & by then I hope my income, or lack there of, will qualify as well as my medical.

Toy
  2. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

On this page:
    http://groups.msn.com/SocialSecurityDisabilityCoalition

you will find a treasure of info about disability apps. I read something from a disability lawyer that reconsideration is useless. Better off is a new application.

Read up on advice on that website so you know the tricks how to best fill the app. Bummer, working part time for a while can be a source of denial, it shows you can work per see.

How long ago was it? How did you cope working? Did you have problems commpleting tasks, had abcenses, did it trigger you into flares, etc? Did your employer have any complaints? All of this can accually help your case in filing for SSDI.

This can be helpful instead (unsuccesful work activities).
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi Toy - I think you have SSI and SSDI mixed up.

SSI is based on income. I don't know the exact requirements to qualify for SSI, but I believe they consider your assets, money in the bank, and probably your husband's income as well. The denial letter should tell why you were denied.

SSDI is NOT based on income so any denial will not be based on your income. The amount of any SSDI award is based on past earnings. I believe the primary requirement for SSDI is disability, inability to work for at least a year, and that you have earned sufficient income credits to get SSDI. It doesn't mean you have to have not worked for a year, but that your doctor will state that you are unable to work for at least a year.

If you were denied SSDI because you worked part-time for 15 weeks, it wouldn't be because of the income you earned but because they thought you were capable of working.

If you have any questions about any of this, you should see an attorney. To be honest, your post sounds to me like you are confused about the differing requirements for SSI and SSDI, and I think it would be good for you to talk to an attorney, show him your denial letter, and make sure you do the right thing, whether or not to file a request for reconsideration, etc. Attorney's fees in these matters are set by statute and they only get paid if you win. I'm sure you could find someone to give you a consultation without retaining them, just to run that denial letter by them.

Good luck --

Mary
  4. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Lena and Mary have some good things to recommend and
    say! SSA has some booklets to take at there office
    explaining SSI And SSDI a a fairly simple fashion.
    See www. disabilitysecrets.com for further suggestions.

Nolo.com also has a book about winning your case and
    explains much. Also should be available at local libr-
    ary. Don't give up but do all they ask in the process.
    Best wishes,
    MRDAD
  5. TKE

TKE New Member

>>How long ago was it?<<
    I worked part time end of January to beginning of May. 21-37 hours per week.

> How did you cope working? Did you have problems commpleting tasks, had abcenses, did it trigger you into flares, etc? Did your employer have any complaints? All of this can accually help your case in filing for SSDI. <<

Was a small construction company. Owner was on the verge of bankruptcy. I think he expected me to figure a way out for him. His records were a total mess. Previous bookkeeper only did about half of what she should have. The records were a joke & the filing looked like a 5 year old did it. I managed to get it all straight for him before he let me go. His reason for letting me go...lawyer told him to make cut backs, said he could do my job. Humm the following week he had someone to replace me. Wasn't the first time he lied to me.

He wasn't happy one day when I had to tell him that 5 checks never ended up in the account, so the reconcilition was off about $700.00. You can't print checks from an accounting program unless they're put in the program, but they just disappeared afterwards like they had never been done. They had constant power surges & outages, which I think messed up the computer program. He blamed me. When I went back to get my last check the person he replaced me with was there. I told her I had left info on paying the Occupation tax for 3 employees. Humm amazing the checks printed out OK showing the tax deduction, but the program only showed 2 people had paid, instead of 3. My response...did you have power outages. Yep they had. I said well you'll have to search out the program & find where the problem is & figure a way to fix it & out the door I went!!! I haven't spoken to him since. I lied to me more than once.

I struggled with a ton of stress daily & had to take a 3 hour nap after work so I'd have energy to cook supper. ZHuz celebrated when I got let go :).

Toy

6. TKE

TKE New Member

>>I think you have SSI and SSDI mixed up.If you were denied SSDI because you worked part-time for 15 weeks, it wouldn't be because of the income you earned but because they thought you were capable of working. <<

No I don't think I have it mixed up. I was told if I made more than $860 gross in any month of the year I was applying for SSD I would be denied automatically. I also read this on the "disabilitysecrets" website. According to the info you have to qualify under both the income amount limit & the medical issues.

The lady at SSA told me they make you apply for both SSI & SSD. I was told I would be denied for SSI, due to Huz's income, but had to apply as a formality. Once they denied me the SSI they'd go ahead with my application for SSD.

Toy