Got my reconsideration turn down from SSDI today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carlacat, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I think they just copied the first letter they sent me cause it all basically says the same...as long as I can see, walk, hear, etc..you know the rest of the story. So it is time now for my lawyer to file for ALJ hearing, it will probably take forever for that but luckily I do have my LTD coming in every month. I just hate appearing before a judge cause I know I will be shaking so bad and that sure does not help my nervous system problem that I have. Oh well..here we go again.
    Carlacat
  2. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

I was turned down for reconsideration at the end of February. I was told by the atty I contacted a month ago that it would be at least a year to get an appt before an ALJ. That's long enough to get more paperwork for backup and keep a journal to try to convince the judge that you are really, truly disabled. (Now if I could just find a doctor that believes it for me - lol.) I hear some of these judges are not nice and don't care. I think they probably have some type of allotment system and can only approve so many or maybe they think they "own" the money they award and don't want to give it to anyone.

Hopefully you (and I) will get a judge that can "see" with kind eyes. I have not been able to afford doctors and have no health insurance so getting the necessary paperwork is crucial within the next year for me.

I'm glad you get LTD. It seems like that would help prove something or other to SSDI but I've heard since they're 2 separate issues it doesn't necessarily matter.

I would LOVE to know how many people are at our stage of the SSDI process right now. It's a very lonely place to be.

I hope someone in your "sphere" is able to support and comfort you through this process as it is so lengthy. For myself I don't know what I would do without this message board. It has been a real, immediate help to me.

I hope someone who answers your post will say just the words you need to hear today to encourage you to keep and not give up as I almost did in your quest for disability.

Pam
  3. faith30

faith30 New Member

Don't let it get you down so much, most people are turned down on reconsideration, just like on initial application. Most everyone ends up having a hearing. I hope you have a good attorney. My attorney was a Godsend. It's important that the doctors they send you to understand how your illnesses effect your daily life. The main reason I won my case for FM was because the doctor they sent me to stated that, "...a stressful work environment can exacerbate FM...." Make it clear to them specifically what happens to you due to your illnesses. Feel free to email me at havfayth2@yahoo.com
  4. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

My goodness, good ol' disability, you would think we were some kind of criminal the way they treat us in fact, I think this country treats outsiders better than they do us red blooded Americans who have worked hard in our lives. And, I too, am happy to help you out with all kinds of places to go for help, in fact I love being able to help you with them so if you ever want to know some very important places to go for help feel free to e-mail me at m8kntrax@earthlink.net anytime and I will help with anything i can!!!!! Good Luck.....Pam2

PS, they seem to automatically turn down the 1st 2 tries, it is the 3rd try that is the charm !!!
    !!

5. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

My goodness, good ol' disability, you would think we were some kind of criminal the way they treat us in fact, I think this country treats outsiders better than they do us red blooded Americans who have worked hard in our lives. And, I too, am happy to help you out with all kinds of places to go for help, in fact I love being able to help you with them so if you ever want to know some very important places to go for help feel free to e-mail me at m8kntrax@earthlink.net anytime and I will help with anything i can!!!!! Good Luck.....Pam2

PS, they seem to automatically turn down the 1st 2 tries, it is the 3rd try that is the charm !!!
    !!

6. Dara

Dara New Member

I also have been turned down twice now and am waiting for my hearing in front of an ALJ. My attorney did send in some more recent medical records and requested that they reconsider my case without going in front of an ALJ. I didn't know they could do this but he said that in some cases they will. He said that if they won't reconsider without the hearing that it won't hold up the ALJ hearing. I don't know why they just can't do this without being asked to. Don't you think having to wait a year is just a bit too much?? I wonder if my mortgage company would wait a year, yeah right!!! I have honestly thought about writing to my Senator or whoever else it would be, to voice my opinion on why I have such a hard time believing that this process can take that long. My COBRA ends the end of June and then I'm done with medical insurance. My dilemma is that if SS finds me disabled before the end of June then I could keep my COBRA for an additional eleven months. Have you gotten any new medical information to send in since your last reconsideration? I sent enough in this time that if I don't get it, then I'd say I'll have to be six feet under before they will agree to it. Even the State Vocational Rehabilitation Office said I was unable to work, plus three other doctors, so I don't know what more they could want. I'm also going through the same thing with LTD, I think they are actually worse than SSD.

Well, I wish you luck and I hope you will be able to find a way to expidite your hearing. It's really hard just waiting, isn't it?

Dara
  7. Sissy123

Sissy123 New Member

I went in there without cleaning up, I showed them what it is really like to have this god awful disorder. I wore the clothes I wear at home, sweats, I don't even think I combed my hair. Honestly, do you at home when you feel like crap? So why do it for them. Show them how you really feel like everyday. No make up, no dresses...And how about the meds you are on? I got it because I am in so much pain they had me on some very strong pain meds, and I still take alot of meds, even though I simply had to get off of the contreversal oxycontin, but I was told by the judge right then and there, after I couldn't set and listen to them for 15 minutes, I simply stood up and started stretching just like I would at home and said " I need to lay down". I might add I had tears in my eyes and they were real!!! I had set in the waiting room for nearly three hours for another woman, in a dress and make up, hair done, sit in there for 3 hours!!! If she could set for that long she could work for crying in a bucket. I was in pain and was not nice about them making me wait for so long knowing I was in so much pain. The judge closed her book and told me and my lawyer right then and there, You Got It!!! I didn't have to wait for any letter to tell me I got it. It took the truth, and you have no choice but to play their game. It's a waiting game for them. You will go without food, elec, gas, phone...because you really cant work. That is what you have to do to get SSI. You are sick and have no choice but to play the waiting game with them. At least today you get decisions faster. I waited over 5 years. You will go in front of a judge and let it all out. Don't pretend your a decent person. You are sick and in pain and you want them to know that. So many people put on, and worry about looking nice when you don't feel that way. I looked awful that day in front of the judge because that is exactly the way I felt. That is just my opinion, I could be wrong. I am just being honest and I hope you find it familiar and true. Sissy
  8. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I did get my LTD already and I get monthly checks with that thru my company, thank goodness or we would be living on the streets by now. I have sent in 3 sheets totaling 15 more doc visits and tests ran since my appeal for reconsideration. I do know that if I try and do anything around the house I tire so easy and I sleep for 3 hrs afterwards.I just get so wore out so fast..its so frustrating. I quit smoking and I think that was keeping my blood pressure up cause now I feel so tired all the time. I dont know which was worst..smoking and having energy to do something now and then or not smoing and no energy what so ever. The salt pills I take for my blood pressure just dont seem to make up the slack. Oh well.. so I set and wait till my hearing. I know I'm gonna go in there and my nervous system is gonna kick in high gear and I wont be able to even stand..then I'll be in bed for days afterwards.
    Carlacat
  9. mrsfourpaws

mrsfourpaws New Member

Carlacat, i am just getting started to reopen my case,
    but after your tundown ,are you near any of your state
    representives ,they have all kinds of help in my state i am just learning, so if i get in trouble they say go to them ,
    have you tried them? Ethel in Pa.